Goldenrod test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goldenrod test

I bought a goldenrod the full length of my gun cabinet after posting about it here a while ago.

After buying two identical hydrometers for two identical, side-by-side cabinets with two identical rechargeable dehumidifiers, I was able to test how much of a difference the goldenrod actually makes (in a cabinet, not a safe).

Over the span of many days this summer, the temperature of the cabinet with the goldenrod was about two degrees higher, and the humidity of that cabinet was two percent lower.

I'm pretty happy with that, since many thought there would be no benefit. I assume the effect in a safe would be much better.

I never measured the temperature or humidity in my safe. My Goldenrod is at least 25 years old and seems to be doing the job.
    I just checked... the NRA Museum recommends 45 - 50 % humidity.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
      I never measured the temperature or humidity in my safe. My Goldenrod is at least 25 years old and seems to be doing the job.
      I just checked... the NRA Museum recommends 45 - 50 % humidity.
      Really? I'd always heard 30-40%. Interesting...

Comment

It has to be a good balance between preventing rust and drying out the wood furniture.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
          It has to be a good balance between preventing rust and drying out the wood furniture.
          Same as acoustic guitars: too dry, you get cracks, too damp you get warp-age.
          Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Nice. My basement/vault & safes all stay around 50% humidity and 70°-75°
            Life Member: ASA, GOA, NRA

Comment

I just oil the crap out of my stuff.
              Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                I just oil the crap out of my stuff.
                #metoo

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
                  1. And that perfect balance would be...

2. What about synthetic stocks and most handguns?

Comment

Anyone know how well a goldenrod works in a safe?

Can anyone confirm my results in cabinets?

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post
                      Anyone know how well a goldenrod works in a safe?

Can anyone confirm my results in cabinets?
                      A golden rod is just a heater. It works very well in a well sealed box (just like other small dehumidifiers, but not so well if the box is not well sealed.

As for humidity, corrosion starts at around 65% RH. You want (need) a safe margin below that. 40-50% is safe around here. Below that (around here) can damage wood (lead to cracking), but may be fine in drier climates (think Arizona/Nevada, etc.).

Comment

Working...
                      X