Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use desiccants safe n dry in your safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use desiccants safe n dry in your safe?

Just curious cuz I bought stack on safe n dry for my 10 gun safe .

i am not sure if I could put 1 or 2 in safe ?
    It's on 1 st flr
    thanks

You mean this little silver silica boxes?

For an ammo box or small pistol or documents safe 1 or 2 is good. But IMO not worth much in a full safe. Better to get the bigger safe size dryer (Remington makes on but I'm sure others do, it's a square white thing you plug in after awhile to recharge).
    I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
    I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Crap, Yeah that's one safe n dry silver wrap, 10 packs.

Also I rather not to have plug electric thing.

thamls

Comment

Originally posted by JakeF150 View Post
        Crap, Yeah that's one safe n dry silver wrap, 10 packs.

Also I rather not to have plug electric thing.

thamls
        You don't plug it in to work. You plug it in when the indicator says it's "full" (saturated) and has to be re-charged.

Similar with the silica packs. You have to heat them in an oven for a couple of hours at I think 350 to recharge them too.

I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
        I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Ohhhh gotcha! Thanks

Comment

is this safe any way sealed against outside air ,, if not do not bother .. if it is use a reusable unit.

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post

You don't plug it in to work. You plug it in when the indicator says it's "full" (saturated) and has to be re-charged.

Similar with the silica packs. You have to heat them in an oven for a couple of hours at I think 350 to recharge them too.
              link?

Comment

This is a great unit to keep your safe dry. I have two safes that stay at 40 - 41% humidity. Great item.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Is it a must leave plug in all the time ?

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post
                    is this safe any way sealed against outside air ,, if not do not bother .. if it is use a reusable unit.
                    its not sealed

Comment

so what ever is in the house will be in the safe

Comment

I use two of these (the ones you plug in to "recharge" as mentioned above) in my safe... I only need to charge one every 2-3 weeks or so... I got the timing to the point where one needs to be plugged in (pinkish) and the other is still blue. Maybe it's overkill, but I'm confident the safe is dry. I know they are both different brands, but they are the same freaking unit! Ignore the pic... blue is dry and pink is saturated!

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-...icant+reusable

Last edited by John060404; 07-31-2016, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I have a similar safe. I had one of those stack-on rechargeable dehumidifiers and it allowed me to recharge it ONE time before the heating element inside would no longer get hot enough. How do I know this? I opened it up. It was getting power but the element was getting barely warm no matter how long it was plugged in.

My solution was to use two of the silica cans (rechargeable) instead. I have a caliper hygrometer inside the safe and it reads between 41 - 43 percent humidity. I alps have a dehumidifier in the room as well.

Hope this helped.

-Syn-
                          NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
                          NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member

Comment

Jake,
                            If you don't want the plugin unit, the Eva-Dry posted above will do the trick. I use the plugin "tube" in my safe, but also have the bigger sized Eva-Dry in my closet - when the little balls inside turn pink, you plug the unit into the outlet for about 14-16 hours to dry out the balls until they turn blue again.

Comment

I had little rust stains on my rifle. Happened pretty fast. Time for a desiccant.

Comment

Working...
                              X