Can we talk about comms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LIChris View Post
    I have a couple of Baofeung GMRS radios that I bought when they were getting a repeater... sometimes I like to talk to my wife from the shed with it.
    That's all I can offer on the topic.
    I remember that. I got one of those too. I never got my GMRS and I've never used it but it was only around $30, IIRC
    No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Regards,
    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SteveT View Post
      Off topic (Slightly): I was listening to the W2DQ repeater a couple of weeks ago via a HT, evening, 9.30ish... up pops a guy from Virginia beach. He spent a few minutes talking with a local ham about weather and such, exchanging callsigns, pleasantries and local weather conditions.

The first thing that went through my mind was..... a) Communications without need to rely on Verizon, AT&T whatever. IE: Freedom. and b) This is ABSOLUTELY the kind of communications tool I need..... and I don't know enough - so I should be attending my local meetups.

If I tell myself enough times that I need to attend the local ham meetups, make friends, eventually it will happen...... It's like deciding that I need to paint a bedroom, I need to talk myself into it.
      You can connect to some repeaters via the net and transmit through them. I think it's Echolink. Not sure.
      I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
      I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Correct, there's IRLP and Echolink which connects repeaters via the internet. You just use the keypad to dial the code for the repeater you want to access. I spoke with a guy from Kansas this morning. He was using IRLP to come thru a LIMARC repeater. Unfortunately in a grid down scenario, all these links will not work.

We should set up a LIGC Net on one of the repeaters we can all access.

Comment

Speaking of links, a few years ago GSBARC had the plan to setup a large MESH network across LI. They had some success but I don't know how far they got.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by 442Stu View Post
            Unfortunately in a grid down scenario, all these links will not work.
            Pretty much useless to me then.
            NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

Even the repeaters may be down. That's why I said be ready to go simplex.

Comment

The repeaters are all on battery backup. How long that lasts depends on load and size of backup

Comment

I need to get involved in the local ham community..... I know I have a lot to learn - and I suspect they'd be more than happy to welcome a new member.
                  You could mess with the DX'ers having them think they're reaching Europe with your accent for a while before you tell them you're only a couple of towns away.

Comment

Originally posted by 442Stu View Post
                    Correct, there's IRLP and Echolink which connects repeaters via the internet. You just use the keypad to dial the code for the repeater you want to access. I spoke with a guy from Kansas this morning. He was using IRLP to come thru a LIMARC repeater. Unfortunately in a grid down scenario, all these links will not work.

We should set up a LIGC Net on one of the repeaters we can all access.
                    That is why I feel CB radio makes more sense for SHTF. With no grid, at least you can talk to other locals.

Comment

No Joy
                      "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post

That is why I feel CB radio makes more sense for SHTF. With no grid, at least you can talk to other locals.
                        A little late response from me, but you can still talk to local on a ham radio with the grid down. Simplex (radio to radio) on a ham radio still will have greater range then a (legal) CB ... 4watts vs 50watts on my mobile. There is a national simplex call frequency (146.520 MHz) which is kind of known as the channel to make contacts on. I am on the road most of the day and am either monitoring that channel or a LIMARC repeater. Not many people on the call frequency, maybe get 2-3 contacts per week but I am sure it would be swamped if it was the only choice.

Also, Ham has more options then CB. Many radios will do cross band repeating. Basically you can set up a temporary repeater anywhere. Set up a 50w mobile radio and throw an antenna high up in a tree and then you can use a portable to hit that radio to re-transmit to the other portable. Also you can transfer data (images, maps, text messages, gps coordinates/distance, etc) using amateur radio. This all can be done with the basic license. Go higher up and more frequencies open up to be able to talk even further.
                        Brandon

NRA LIFE | SAF | UT / NH / FL / CT / NY CCW | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

Comment

It’s incredibly slow. I’m grandfathered into a fabulous ‘all you can eat’ AT&T dialup deal. Download speeds max out at 56Kbps but at $9.99 a month it’s a total steal.
                          At this stage AT&T is willing to pay you just so they can retire the tech!

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post

Wifey was telling me that during the war in Sarajevo the locals used the radios in taxis so families stuck on both sides could talk to each other... it is all about making due

Comment

Working...
                            X