Emergency Generators at Gas Stations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency Generators at Gas Stations

In 2013 state legislation was enacted (in response to Superstorm Sandy) that 258 gas stations in the “downstate” New York area would have a back-up generator. Today I saw a gas station in central Nassau which had a back-up generator. It had a sign which stated that it was owned by National Grid.

Has anyone else seen a gas station with a National Grid back-up generator?

Originally posted by OddJob1776 View Post
    In 2013 state legislation was enacted (in response to Superstorm Sandy) that 258 gas stations in the “downstate” New York area would have a back-up generator. Today I saw a gas station in central Nassau which had a back-up generator. It had a sign which stated that it was owned by National Grid.

Has anyone else seen a gas station with a National Grid back-up generator?
    Prolly not a bad idea. Which gas station was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dank27 View Post

Prolly not a bad idea. Which gas station was it?
      It was a BP gas station on Hempstead Turnpike. I am not sure of the town. It was either Bethpage, Levittown, or East Meadow.

Comment

It was a BP gas station on Hempstead Turnpike. I am not sure of the town. It was either Bethpage, Levittown, or East Meadow.
        The one right by the wantagh pkwy?

Comment

It's a natural gas generator, which is what you should have for your home. Most of the people in gas station lines during the outage were filling up gas cans for their home generators.
          "Appetites for gun collecting are often whetted by mechanical ingenuity, artistic features, or historical associations." - Norm Flayderman

Comment

Originally posted by Dank27 View Post

The one right by the wantagh pkwy?
            Yes.

Comment

Below is a link, and attached is a list from October 2017, which lists the gas stations which have a back-up generator.

You should rely on the address and not the name of the gas station. The BP station I saw is listed as “C&S Oil Corporation”.

https://stormrecovery.ny.gov/fuel-ny

https://stormrecovery.ny.gov/sites/default/files/crp/community/documents/Stat%20List%2010-27-17.pdf

Attached Files

Comment

Was it a leased generator belonging to Natl Grid? Better write off and no maintenance headaches for the station owner. Probably helps him in terms of liability too.

Comment

It works unless they shut the gas off.

Comment

Keep in mind, that after Sandy's neighborhood fires from the natural gas supplies igniting with power restoration(they say pre-mature), the next time sometings happens like that, the natural gas south of Sunrise highway will be turned off. Start thinking propane, and large Tylenol looking tanks in the back yard if you really want a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                      It works unless they shut the gas off.
                      That is a great point. I did not see any gas storage containers. Perhaps they will siphon the gas from the underground tanks (or is that giving government too much credit?)

Comment

I know the Gulf gas station in Queens in the center of the Grand Central has a humongous Kohler Generator there.

Comment

That is a great point. I did not see any gas storage containers. Perhaps they will siphon the gas from the underground tanks (or is that giving government too much credit?)
                          They installed a bunch of shutoffs in the natural gas system after Sandy. They can shut off large quadrants if they want to.

Comment

They installed a bunch of shutoffs in the natural gas system after Sandy. They can shut off large quadrants if they want to.
                            Dual fuel?

Comment

Most of the hard hit south shore of western Long Island had no natural gas because of shutoffs.

The government chose one poison over the other, and a lot of people suffered regardless.

Comment

Working...
                              X