Emergency Generators at Gas Stations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldGarandDad View Post

Before Sandy I thought I was set with a 30-gallon gas caddy that was full and two 4K generators. That was until I heard one of my elderly neighbors came home from the hospital right before Sandy with an oxygen generator. Between my family, my other elderly neighbor, I creatively eeked out every amp I could on both those cheap Chinese generators.
    The whole neighbor situation is difficult to navigate. During Sandy some of my neighbors ran extension cords from my generator (which reduced my home energy availability) and they did not provide any gas (which was in short supply). Afterwards I encouraged them to buy a generator but none did. Not sure I will share by generator power if there is a next time.

Comment

Originally posted by OddJob1776 View Post

The whole neighbor situation is difficult to navigate. During Sandy some of my neighbors ran extension cords from my generator (which reduced my home energy availability) and they did not provide any gas (which was in short supply). Afterwards I encouraged them to buy a generator but none did. Not sure I will share by generator power if there is a next time.
      I'm in the same quandary. I only got one neighbor on my street to see the light (pun intended). One elderly neighbor passed away, new really green home owners moved in. Jury is out on them. The one neighbor on oxygen passed away but his widow put in a 30-amp inlet and the interlock. I told her I'd supply the juice with my second generator. I too also ran extension cords to others and I am still a little miffed that no one acted. One of the reasons I have heavy duty electrical connectors. Sorry! Your plug won't fit. I can't help you
      "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

Comment

I'm in the same quandary. I only got one neighbor on my street to see the light (pun intended). One elderly neighbor passed away, new really green home owners moved in. Jury is out on them. The one neighbor on oxygen passed away but his widow put in a 30-amp inlet and the interlock. I told her I'd supply the juice with my second generator. I too also ran extension cords to others and I am still a little miffed that no one acted. One of the reasons I have heavy duty electrical connectors. Sorry! Your plug won't fit. I can't help you
        My generator has four 120-volt outlets (rated at 20 amps) and one 120/240-volt outlet (rated at 30 amps) - not that my neighbors know the difference.

Some people are "givers" and some people are "takers". I have shoveled snow from my neighbor's driveway and sidewalk for over 25 years. Not once did I receive a gift card from the local pizza place, a bottle of wine, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by OddJob1776 View Post

My generator has four 120-volt outlets (rated at 20 amps) and one 120/240-volt outlet (rated at 30 amps) - not that my neighbors know the difference.

Some people are "givers" and some people are "takers". I have shoveled snow from my neighbor's driveway and sidewalk for over 25 years. Not once did I receive a gift card from the local pizza place, a bottle of wine, etc.
          I shoveled/snowblowed my neighbors too. I guess I got lucky. They'd bake me cookies, give me an occasional gift card or bottle of cheer. My new inexperienced neighbors got me a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black after I dug them out during our last winter dump so I guess I must be training them well.
          "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

Comment

I shoveled/snowblowed my neighbors too. I guess I got lucky. They'd bake me cookies, give me an occasional gift card or bottle of cheer. My new inexperienced neighbors got me a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black after I dug them out during our last winter dump so I guess I must be training them well.
            Want to trade neighbors?

Comment

Working...
            X