Junk Silver - Is There a Difference?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junk Silver - Is There a Difference?

I was just looking at JM Bullion for junk silver and see there is a wide variety of options and prices: Kennedy Half dollars , mixed nickle/dime/quarter bags, Franklyn Half dollars, Morgans, Peace Silver Dollars, etc. So it there any advantage to one option over another? I'm not interested in collectiblity just as a SHTF resource.

https://www.jmbullion.com/silver/junk-silver/
    Last edited by Finicky Fat Guy; 10-22-2018, 10:12 AM.
    "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
    Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
    Finicky Fat Guy

What's the spot price?

Comment

Junk silver is just what it is. 90% silver coins with no numismatic value(beat up old coins), in different denominations categorized in weight basically. Definitely viewed as resource/asset in a shtf scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post
        I was just looking at JM Bullion for junk silver and see there is a wide variety of options and prices: Kennedy Half dollars , mixed nickle/dime/quarter bags, Franklyn Half dollars, Morgans, Peace Silver Dollars, etc. So it there any advantage to one option over another? I'm not interested in collectiblity just as a SHTF resource.

https://www.jmbullion.com/silver/junk-silver/
        Assayed ingots are cheaper than new coins. Junk coins vary in price depending on rarity and condition.
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
          What's the spot price?
          Kitco lists it at $14.62. JMB has silver eagles at $18.82/18.52 depending on quantity. Junk at JMB varies" $16.01 mixed coins, 16.61 JFK 1/2$, 17.12 Franklyn 1/2$, down to $15,62 for 4.5 pounds of 90% dimes.
          "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
          Tucker Max

Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Kitco lists it at $14.62. JMB has silver eagles at $18.82/18.52 depending on quantity. Junk at JMB varies" $16.01 mixed coins, 16.61 JFK 1/2$, 17.12 Franklyn 1/2$, down to $15,62 for 4.5 pounds of 90% dimes.
            I checked on silver bars, APMEX has them at $15.54.
            Last edited by Glenn B; 10-22-2018, 11:54 AM.
            Retired and loving it.

Comment

That's pricy. I had a strong buy when it was at $4. Silver moves more than gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post
                I checked on silver bars, APMEX has them at $15.54.
                Not interested in bars at the moment. I want smaller pieces that I think would be easier to use.
                Tucker Max

Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

They are only one ounce bars.
                  Retired and loving it.

Comment

Not interested in bars at the moment. I want smaller pieces that I think would be easier to use.
                    The 1oz bars he's talking about are pretty small. Think 1" x 2" x 1/10" thick. Though it is easier and much cheaper to buy larger bars, not to mention storing them is easier in larger bars.
                    But for a SHTF situation, some nice 90% silver (to those that know what is it) are going to be nice.
                    The problem is when you try to buy something with a 90% silver dime. 99.999% of the world out there will look at you like you're offering them 10 cents and won't be able to verify that its silver or has any real value. Coin type folks will know, but really, how many of those nerds are going to make it through the pockyclypse?

Hence buying smaller bars and offering it or a chunk of it to someone as payment would go over a lot better. All you need are a decent set of wire or side cutters to nip off small chunks as payment.

Comment

Valcambi offers both silver and golds cards that are pre-cut to use and break up in 1 gram squares...You break them off the main card for barter or sale in 1 gram increments...Almost the best of both worlds but they are a premium price...

75737_Slab_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Comment

Junk silver is the best as other forms of silver (not coin) may need to be assayed before selling.

The best deals on junk silver are at www.sdbullion.com, I have dealt with them several times and they are reliable.
                        Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

I buy silver nuggets by the the bag a lot of what I buy comes out of Nevada it is not processed, some dirty some comes clean. even bought nuggets on ebay when ebay was good before the scammers.

ebay listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/999-FINE-SI...S!-1:rk:2:pf:0
                          stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

Originally posted by Malaka View Post
                            ...Definitely viewed as resource/asset in a shtf scenario.
                            Not so much for a zombie apocalypse, but very useful for a werewolf incursion.

Comment

I have some silver bars and some silver eagles. I'll probably continue to collect some of that. I'd like to get some "junk" as an option. SD looks like it's slightly cheaper than JMB.
                              Tucker Max

Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X