off grid solar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

off grid solar...

hey has anyone dabbled in an off grid solar system to generate some power? I have just started looking into building my own system with the panels and controls..if anyone has recommendations for types and brand names of good components to use, that always helps with the learning curve..
    I bought some books to read through for more technical info...
    this would be for upstate, plenty of land to set up panels on the ground, its easier to build and maintain not being on a ladder way up on a roof...
    You cant cure stupid, only kill it......
    Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.....

Focus up...This is the way to do solar. Look into a back up generator powered by natural gas.
    Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

• spider
      spider commented
      Editing a comment
      I meant propane.

• Barnslayer
      Barnslayer commented
      Editing a comment
      Either way is better than nothing. Each has it's advantages.
      But I mentioned propane tank sizes because Patriot1965 was concerned about delivery.

• Patriot1965
      Patriot1965 commented
      Editing a comment
      I already have a 500 gallon propane tank for the house, and the solar power would be for back up power when needed, or I could integrate it into the main power grid, these are all things im looking to see what others have done and how it worked out...trying to learn by others mistakes....
      now they make generators with lithium batteries that can be charged by solar or grid power....there are so many options im trying to narrow it down to a starting place and go from there..

There are two types of roofs with solar panels, ones that leak and one that will leak, the grid that the panels sit in has to be installed spot on, Also if your roof is 20 years or older I would elect to reroof as part of the project and have them install a monolithic waterproofing membrane adhered over the entire surface or face the need for pitch pockets, term bars, fasteners and adhesives that will ultimately fail in north eat climates,

Comment

• Patriot1965
      Patriot1965 commented
      Editing a comment
      combined with roof leaks and issue, and me not liking heights..roof solar will never happen for me...its going to be a ground based array..

• Barnslayer
      Barnslayer commented
      Editing a comment
      The Tesla solar roof IS the roof.

• Hannco
      Hannco commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked into a Tesla Roof/Solar panel setup. $87000 for the panels, power wall and installation killed it

Originally posted by Patriot1965 View Post
    hey has anyone dabbled in an off grid solar system to generate some power? I have just started looking into building my own system with the panels and controls..if anyone has recommendations for types and brand names of good components to use, that always helps with the learning curve..
    I bought some books to read through for more technical info...
    this would be for upstate, plenty of land to set up panels on the ground, its easier to build and maintain not being on a ladder way up on a roof...
    I know there are companies making kits for this purpose. I don't have any experience with any of them so I can't start to one or the other but it may be a good idea to look into them if you're fresh into this.

Comment

• Patriot1965
      Patriot1965 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am and also doing a bunch of reading and looking online at what other people have done..
Working...
X