Removing handguns from Nassau/NYS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Synner View Post

So let's say someone lives in NY for 50 years and has 100 plus pistols. They have to ship every freaking one to an FFL because NC/SC has to have a problem with even that?

Isn't there a federal law about being able to legally transport a firearm you own from one state where it is legal to possess to another state where it is legal to possess? Wouldn't that by its very nature trump the county BS?
    When I leave I can take them with me and drive. I can't do that with just some and have them removed from my license while the other ones are here.
    Still here but still counting down. The inventor of Hawk fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post
      Well no go. It has to go through an FFL down there.
      And you can't do the FFL transfer because you don't have a TN Driver's License required to pick up the pistols?
      And you can't get a TN Driver's License because that would make you a resident and you would lose you NY pistol license.
      Lose Lose situation.
      That sucks

Comment

Well no go. It has to go through an FFL down there.
        That's what you get for trying to escape the tyranny and live in a free state. Let this be a lesson to you. LOL :-)
        "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
        Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
        Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Originally posted by O1SalsaX View Post

And you can't do the FFL transfer because you don't have a TN Driver's License required to pick up the pistols?
          And you can't get a TN Driver's License because that would make you a resident and you would lose you NY pistol license.
          Lose Lose situation.
          That sucks
          I need my NY drivers license for my job. The second I retire I'm getting a TN one and launching a paper assault on the ATF with forms for all the fun stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post

Hypothetical situation:

A: You are involved in a domestic dispute. We know that in NY the police will be confiscating your guns, whether we like it or think it Constitutional, that's happening. You have two handguns on your license. Do you really think they are going to take you word for it that you don't have another one in the house or hidden at work with which to kill your wife as soon as they leave? No, they aren't going to believe that. Now what are they going to do? Drive to TN or PA or wherever to check? Send you there to bring it back or take yo into custody to protect your wife and kids?

B: You are accused of a crime, even if mistakenly. They are going to confiscate your guns ASAP. Again, do you think your explanation that you left one in your other house is going to be believed?

The whole point of our registration scheme is for the police to know what you have and where you have it. They aren't going to accept your word that it's in a safe place where it's legal to have it. More likely, they are going to assume that if what you say is true then you are being irresponsible for leaving a gun in an empty house for an extended period. "Dontcha know that a burglar could have it right now?"

In the end, the registration and licensing is intended to keep guns out of the wrong hands. We both know that that is ineffective nonsense but that's the intent. They aren't worried about OUP leaving a gun somewhere safe and legal. They are worried about a gun they can't account for being in the wrong hands so they want documentation of it's legal disposition. I don't agree with it. I don't like it. But that's the state we live in.
            Let's say (hypothetically) you brought all your guns out of state and turned in your permit. One of your two scenarios occurs. Do you think they are just gonna trust their own system… or are they gonna want to look around in your house anyway?

A local friend (pretty much a Fudd) has no permit or pistols. Just stuff for sporting clays. He speaks up for his sister-in-law who is having domestic violence problems. She lives with her husband, not with my friend. The husband threatens him. My friend tells the police. They tell him it's a domestic violence situation and ask him if he has any guns.
            SMFH
            Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

When I leave I can take them with me and drive. I can't do that with just some and have them removed from my license while the other ones are here.
              That sucks! Red tape at it's finest. Thanks for letting us know.
              Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

I need my NY drivers license for my job. The second I retire I'm getting a TN one and launching a paper assault on the ATF with forms for all the fun stuff.
                That sucks..
                My local Class 3 dealer said that wait times are down to about 6 months right now. hehehehe
                Only going to get better as they get caught up.

Comment

Originally posted by O1SalsaX View Post
                  That sucks..
                  My local Class 3 dealer said that wait times are down to about 6 months right now. hehehehe
                  Only going to get better as they get caught up.
                  I will personally be responsible for slowing them down.

Comment

I will personally be responsible for slowing them down.
                    Hahaha
                    I just want suppressors..
                    Not bothering with SBR's since I have pistols with braces.
                    Too poor for machineguns so I went with a Binary trigger instead.

Comment

So in short, taking all of them is easy but taking some of them is a pain in the ass?
                      NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO
                      NYSRPA Member
                      Freeport R&R Member
                      Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

Originally posted by Synner View Post

So in short, taking all of them is easy but taking some of them is a pain in the ass?
                        Transporting them to a new primary residence in a free state is easy.
                        I mailed back my NYS pistol license after I was settled in and had my PA CCW in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by cas View Post

Well strictly speaking, since we're talking about laws... that would be a federal offense, him not not really being a TN resident. A resident of one state can't sell a handgun to a resident of another state.
                          so have that friend loan it to you until you get residency

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Comment

I was just at SCPD and asked about having my guns removed from my license after moving to North Carolina. They said just send the license back with a letter noting that I'm no longer a ny resident-and that's all. No ffl needed to ship them. My license becomes void anyway when I'm no longer a ny state resident.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubbermittens View Post

so have that friend loan it to you until you get residency

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
                              Sounds like a great solution

Comment

Working...
                              X