The Latest Hurdle To Getting A Purchase Document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Latest Hurdle To Getting A Purchase Document

I stopped by the NCPD Pistol License Section this evening and while there saw a notice hanging on the wall, this notice:

NCPD NICS REQUIREMENT.jpg

I asked about it and how I am supposed to have a dealer run a NICS check before I am actually picking up a pistol I am buying. For instance, I was just upstate at a Hessney Action. I had the high bid on two handguns. I paid for both. No NICS check is performed because as per their most recent ATF audit they were reminded that they need to run the NICS check when the buyer is picking up the handgun (or any firearm). They cannot do it beforehand, then give them the gun a week or however longer later when the buyer shows up with a purchase document. The reason for that is because a buyer could commit whatever crimes in between the time of the check and the pick-up of the gun so the NICS check must be run concurrently with the pick-up. Okay, if you have to have NICS checks that makes sense.

Now step in the NCPD and their new rule. You do what I just did, and have done all along until now: Go to the auction, have a high bid on a handgun, pay for the two handguns come back home without them until I decide to pick up the purchase document, then go back to the auction house and give them the purchase document, they run a NICS check, they give me the gun when the NICS comes back as proceed. I usually wait until the next auction so I do not have to make a trip just to pick up the handguns. Not now though, now the NCPD is saying that the auction house would need to run the NICS check prior to me being there to pick up the gun (just as will any dealer anywhere if you are putting it on your NCPL). Then they have to print the NICS check number on the receipt and highlight it (imagine it has to be highlighted too). Then I would bring that receipt to the NCPD to get a purchase document, bring the purchase doc back to the auction house and get the pistol BUT THE KICKER IS THEY WOULD HAVE TO RUN ANOTHER NICS CHECK if even allowed to run two for the same purchase.

I explained my dilemma, was told no exceptions. No exceptions but there is way around this the officer told me. just have them shipped to a dealer here. Hmm, said I: That would mean a transfer fee for each where there was none before and a shipping fee for each where there was none before an would potentially add at least $150 to the combined cost of the two handguns if not more. Damn, one of the pistols was a piece of junk that I bought for $80. I probably over paid by about double its value just because it was the same model as the first handgun I ever owned - don't ask. Imagine now coughing up for an FFL fee and a shipping fee for it, it will be the most expensive rotten gun ever purchased (yes that was a hint)! Anyway, the officer gave me the bosses name and I will write although they reminded me no exceptions because that is how it has to be done by Nassau County dealers and the way the boss wrote it up. Had I bought the guns before October 10th, it would have been okay for me up until October 26th to get a purchase doc. I bought them this Saturday past and thus I am fucked.

Why are they doing this - to assure that NICS checks get done! I asked if they were aware that the NICS check, under federal rules would have to be run again if one is done before the pick-up AND THEN the buyer leaves the dealer, goes to the NCPD for the purchase doc and returns to the dealer an hour later or a day later or the time limit on the purchase doc later (as they told me at the auction house) - and asked so what good was the first one. No one at NCPD knew except essentially to say it is the way the boss wanted it. As the officer said, not his doing and I understand him just as he understood my frustration. That though does not make it any easier to deal with and I guess no more handgun purchases by me upstate at the auction, at a gun show, as a private purchase, in Suffolk or anywhere outside of Nassau County.

I will hate to ask if it comes to that but I may have to ask them if they will just cancel the sale - but man I ever so wanted the Ruger New Model Single Six Conversion I bought as well as that other nostalgic rotten gun.
    Last edited by Glenn B; 10-16-2018, 06:46 PM.
    Retired and loving it.

If I hit the mega millions, I will donate as much as legally possible to prevent Cuomo from remaining in the governor's office either by way of him losing the election or getting him impeached.
    Retired and loving it.

Comment

This place sucks.

Comment

They just keep chipping away at our rights until there are none left. Either that or they effectively force us to say the hell with it, too much of a hassle.

Comment

maybe I have ogida for nothing. I just checked with the ATF and they have something different on their site than what the auctioneer told me. According to the ATF site a NICS check is good for 30 days. Still tough, for this transaction, since I am fairly certain a NICS check has to b done with me there, I am going to have to have them shipped or give them up. Someone let me know if I do not have to be there in person.
          Retired and loving it.

Comment

At this point, I’m sure many gun owners are starting to think that owning a so called illegal handgun is easier then having a pistol permit on Long Island
            The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

"essentially to say it is the way the boss wanted it" My guess is the boss doesn't fully understand the process & steps required. Like it or not maybe the NYSRPA should be involved.

Comment

The less people buy handguns, the less pistol permits are required, the less officers the departments require. They essentially are creating an empty office space and adding to the unemployed of their county. Can’t blame it all on Fredo.
                Post count uber alles!
                Saying we don’t need firearms because we have the Police is like saying we don’t need fire extinguishers because we have the Fire Department.
                Rich or poor, it's good to have money!
                If 'pro' is the opposite of 'con', what is the opposite of 'progress'?
                If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.
                A nation of sheep, invites a government of wolves.

Comment

The boss meaning the county exec,,, yeah I can see that

Comment

Any good prices on 3D printers? Or 80% glock kits? Black powder pistols?....that’s what the pistol bureau is promoting
                    The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

Ughhh wtf!!! I just bought two pistols from upstate! I’m not going back up there to do a nic check, come back to li and then go back to pick up the pistol! That’s 4.5 hours of driving back and forth!!

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post
                        I stopped by the NCPD Pistol License Section this evening and while there saw a notice hanging on the wall, this notice:

NCPD NICS REQUIREMENT.jpg

I asked about it and how I am supposed to have a dealer run a NICS check before I am actually picking up a pistol I am buying. For instance, I was just upstate at a Hessney Action. I had the high bid on two handguns. I paid for both. No NICS check is performed because as per their most recent ATF audit they were reminded that they need to run the NICS check when the buyer is picking up the handgun (or any firearm). They cannot do it beforehand, then give them the gun a week or however longer later when the buyer shows up with a purchase document. The reason for that is because a buyer could commit whatever crimes in between the time of the check and the pick-up of the gun so the NICS check must be run concurrently with the pick-up. Okay, if you have to have NICS checks that makes sense.

Now step in the NCPD and their new rule. You do what I just did, and have done all along until now: Go to the auction, have a high bid on a handgun, pay for the two handguns come back home without them until I decide to pick up the purchase document, then go back to the auction house and give them the purchase document, they run a NICS check, they give me the gun when the NICS comes back as proceed. I usually wait until the next auction so I do not have to make a trip just to pick up the handguns. Not now though, now the NCPD is saying that the auction house would need to run the NICS check prior to me being there to pick up the gun (just as will any dealer anywhere if you are putting it on your NCPL). Then they have to print the NICS check number on the receipt and highlight it (imagine it has to be highlighted too). Then I would bring that receipt to the NCPD to get a purchase document, bring the purchase doc back to the auction house and get the pistol BUT THE KICKER IS THEY WOULD HAVE TO RUN ANOTHER NICS CHECK if even allowed to run two for the same purchase.

I explained my dilemma, was told no exceptions. No exceptions but there is way around this the officer told me. just have them shipped to a dealer here. Hmm, said I: That would mean a transfer fee for each where there was none before and a shipping fee for each where there was none before an would potentially add at least $150 to the combined cost of the two handguns if not more. Damn, one of the pistols was a piece of junk that I bought for $80. I probably over paid by about double its value just because it was the same model as the first handgun I ever owned - don't ask. Imagine now coughing up for an FFL fee and a shipping fee for it, it will be the most expensive rotten gun ever purchased (yes that was a hint)! Anyway, the officer gave me the bosses name and I will write although they reminded me no exceptions because that is how it has to be done by Nassau County dealers and the way the boss wrote it up. Had I bought the guns before October 10th, it would have been okay for me up until October 26th to get a purchase doc. I bought them this Saturday past and thus I am fucked.

Why are they doing this - to assure that NICS checks get done! I asked if they were aware that the NICS check, under federal rules would have to be run again if one is done before the pick-up AND THEN the buyer leaves the dealer, goes to the NCPD for the purchase doc and returns to the dealer an hour later or a day later or the time limit on the purchase doc later (as they told me at the auction house) - and asked so what good was the first one. No one at NCPD knew except essentially to say it is the way the boss wanted it. As the officer said, not his doing and I understand him just as he understood my frustration. That though does not make it any easier to deal with and I guess no more handgun purchases by me upstate at the auction, at a gun show, as a private purchase, in Suffolk or anywhere outside of Nassau County.

I will hate to ask if it comes to that but I may have to ask them if they will just cancel the sale - but man I ever so wanted the Ruger New Model Single Six Conversion I bought as well as that other nostalgic rotten gun.
                        There is another alternative:
                        1)leave this shit ass state
                        or
                        2) become a FFL
                        These assholes including these ‘Bosses’ don’t give twoshits about us
                        A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post
                          If I hit the mega millions, I will donate as much as legally possible to prevent Cuomo from remaining in the governor's office either by way of him losing the election or getting him impeached.
                          You could never win enough.
                          Me,If I won I'd move in the darkness of the night the way he passed the Safe Act and never look back.

Comment

Fuck NY!
                            . Later, Steve
                            People are crazy and times are strange
                            I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
                            I used to care but........ things have changed

Comment

Keep agreeing with background checks....this is what happens. Give em one fucking inch and they make things more burdensome and impossible.

Comment

Working...
                              X