NC PL disclosing other firearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NC PL disclosing other firearms

Are you required to disclose all firearms in you possession when applying for a license??

If you’re asking about long guns, no.
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
      If you’re asking about long guns, no.
      Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you

Comment

all that was asked of me was where would they be stored (locked up), why did I want a handgun (hunt and target) and was my wife OK with it. they called no one but my wife. With no "yes answers" on the form its nothing more than a waiting game.

Comment

Zero mention of long guns. However, if for some reason you get denied, then, under the UnSAFE Act, you are not allowed to have the long guns either I believe.

Comment

Hence my mention of the form and "yes" answers. While all are not automatically disqualifying, they could require lengthy explanations and possible appeals if denied...

Comment

I had heard the same thing as bberetta mentioned about a denial for pistol license resulting in seizure of long guns. Just went through the 76 pages of UnSAFE and can only find the following which only impacts those already having a pistol license. Perhaps someone else has the scenario and quote handy:

3. Possession of a pistol or revolver by a person to whom a
              license therefor has been issued as provided under section 400.00 or 400.01 of this chapter OR POSSESSION OF A WEAPON AS DEFINED IN PARAGRAPH (E) OR (F) OF SUBDIVISION TWENTY-TWO OF SECTION 265.00 OF THIS ARTICLE WHICH IS REGISTERED PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH (A) OF SUBDIVISION SIXTEEN-A OF SECTION 400.00 OF THIS CHAPTER OR IS INCLUDED ON AN AMENDED LICENSE
              ISSUED PURSUANT TO SECTION 400.00 OF THIS CHAPTER. IN THE EVENT SUCH
              LICENSE IS REVOKED, OTHER THAN BECAUSE SUCH LICENSEE IS NO LONGER PERMITTED TO POSSESS A FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW, INFORMATION SUFFICIENT TO SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF SUBDIVISION SIXTEEN-A OF SECTION 400.00 OF THIS CHAPTER, SHALL BE TRANSMITTED BY THE
              LICENSING OFFICER TO THE STATE POLICE, IN A FORM AS DETERMINED BY THE
              SUPERINTENDENT OF STATE POLICE. SUCH TRANSMISSION SHALL CONSTITUTE A VALID REGISTRATION UNDER SUCH SECTION. FURTHER PROVIDED, NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER SECTION OF THIS TITLE, A FAILURE TO REGISTER SUCH WEAPON BY AN
              INDIVIDUAL WHO POSSESSES SUCH WEAPON BEFORE THE ENACTMENT OF THE CHAPTER OF THE LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN WHICH AMENDED THIS PARAGRAPH AND MAY
              SO LAWFULLY POSSESS IT THEREAFTER UPON REGISTRATION, SHALL ONLY BE
              SUBJECT TO PUNISHMENT PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH (C) OF SUBDIVISION SIXTEEN-A
              OF SECTION 400.00 OF THIS CHAPTER; provided, that such a license OR
              REGISTRATION shall not preclude a conviction for the offense defined
              In subdivision three of section 265.01 of this article OR SECTION
              265.01-A OF THIS ARTICLE.

Comment

Remember that NY Penal Law only considers handguns and 'assault weapons' to be 'firearms.' Rifles and shotguns aren't 'firearms' in NY law.
                NRA Patron Life Member
                Caribou R&P Club Range Officer
                NRA RSO

Comment

Originally posted by dougfxdl View Post
                  Remember that NY Penal Law only considers handguns and 'assault weapons' to be 'firearms.' Rifles and shotguns aren't 'firearms' in NY law.
                  I didn't see that in unSAFE. Can you provide the definition's location ? (of course, shoot a raccoon in the backyard with your 10/22 and you will still end up in the back seat.)
                  Last edited by pequa1; 10-22-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

It's not in SAFE, it's in NY penal law 265

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/265.00
                    NRA Patron Life Member
                    Caribou R&P Club Range Officer
                    NRA RSO

Comment

So you're saying that once you have a pistol permit you must keep it/renew as long as you live in NY even if you decide for whatever reason to get rid of all your pistols?
                      I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                      I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post
                        So you're saying that once you have a pistol permit you must keep it/renew as long as you live in NY even if you decide for whatever reason to get rid of all your pistols?
                        No you do not. You can get rid of/sell-off/turn in(heaven forbid) your pistols, then turn your permit for surrender. Has nothing to do with your long guns except if you do something stupid or violent enough to get your license revoked. Then you may lose EVERYTHING.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post

No you do not. You can get rid of/sell-off/turn in(heaven forbid) your pistols, then turn your permit for surrender. Has nothing to do with your long guns except if you do something stupid or violent enough to get your license revoked. Then you may lose EVERYTHING.
                          Years ago a family member lived in Queens and had an NYC target permit. For whatever reason he eventually decided he didn't want it any more so he sold his pistols to get them off his license. Then he said when the next renewal notice came there was something on the form to indicate you weren't seeking renewal. He marked it off and sent it in. Later he received a notice that her permit hadn't been renewed. Over and done he thought.

Well.....

Time goes by and he moved out here to Suffolk. He decided to get a Suffolk permit. At the interview he mentioned to the officer that he used to have an NYC permit but gave it up. He explained the steps like I said above. He told me the officer said "So they revoked your permit!" He told her no, that he voluntarily decided not to renew it, filled out the paperwork as such (didn't just ignore it) and they confirmed it wasn't renewed. The officer insisted his permit was revoked and made him change the application question about revoked permits to YES.

He got his SC permit and hasn't had a problem renewing it for years but that's what I meant by "revoked".
                          I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                          I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post

Years ago a family member lived in Queens and had an NYC target permit. For whatever reason he eventually decided he didn't want it any more so he sold his pistols to get them off his license. Then he said when the next renewal notice came there was something on the form to indicate you weren't seeking renewal. He marked it off and sent it in. Later he received a notice that her permit hadn't been renewed. Over and done he thought.

Well.....

Time goes by and he moved out here to Suffolk. He decided to get a Suffolk permit. At the interview he mentioned to the officer that he used to have an NYC permit but gave it up. He explained the steps like I said above. He told me the officer said "So they revoked your permit!" He told her no, that he voluntarily decided not to renew it, filled out the paperwork as such (didn't just ignore it) and they confirmed it wasn't renewed. The officer insisted his permit was revoked and made him change the application question about revoked permits to YES.

He got his SC permit and hasn't had a problem renewing it for years but that's what I meant by "revoked".
                            Wow, I don't know what's worse, the fact that what NYC did was actually classified as "revoked"(I call BS), or that SC actually took his "non-renewal" as revocation. But obviously in the end, SC understood what happened in reality and gave him a green light. Bureaucratic bullshit, pure and simple. Smfh

Comment

Working...
                            X