Lead time for license renewal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lead time for license renewal?

Handbook says license must be renewed within 30 days after expiration but seems to leave a lot to chance. How long before expiration would you recommend submitting renewal paperwork ?

I don't remember how far in advance you can start, but I believe you have to wait to get notified by mail before you do.

Having said that, get your ducks in a row ASAP. The NCPLS actually called me asking if I had moved, because my renewal paperwork got bounced back to them. Must have been an Anti in the USPS, because she read my address back perfectly correct. So, I finally get my paperwork (couldn't renew online, because the system was "down" for a good period of time over this past summer) and I go in person because stupid me is honest about some meds I had taken for an injury and minor surgery I had since my last renewal. I end up going into the grace period, and had to physically go to three of the doctors offices to get them to write a note saying what I took the meds for, for how long, and if I was still taking them. My luck, my ENT went on vacation. Let's just say I cut it close. At least all my guns were listed this time, not like my last renewal.

My wife did not have her license at the time, and I was informed by a local FFL that they couldn't be transferred to someone in the same household anyway.

https://www.pdcn.org/DocumentCenter/View/115

https://pistol.pdcn.org/home.aspx?Re...2frenewal.aspx
    Steve

Comment

4 years ago, I got my renewal paperwork in the mail about 30 days before it was due. I renewed online, and got my plastic (for the first time) card in about 2 weeks. It was actually easier than the DMV (I think I just threw up a little).

The previous time I was there was when they lost a serial number off my paper card. That sucked!

Comment

I renewed online (Nassau). It went very quickly. Why put it off?
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
          I renewed online (Nassau). It went very quickly. Why put it off?
          Same here.

Comment

IIRC, you have to wait to get your package from NCPLS. I believe it contains a PIN for you to renew online.
            Steve

Comment

I hand carried my last one in to Suffolk. Painless, was mailed back to me within about 2 weeks.

Now if they would only move into the 20th century and accept credit cards at PLB.
              Last edited by Huntington Guy; 01-27-2020, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X