Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

License Question - Abstract + separate NOTARIZED letter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by incognito View Post
    NYPL section 400 starts with:

1. Eligibility. No license shall be issued or renewed pursuant to this section except by the licensing officer, and then only after investigation and finding that all statements in a proper application for a license are true.

(http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article400.htm)

The notarized statement provides them all the evidence they need to deny your application if you are not truthful with your explanations. Don't fail the first test.

All a Notary does is validate the signature, we have no role in verifying the content of a document.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

All a Notary does is validate the signature, we have no role in verifying the content of a document.
      I did not imply that they did. The investigation is performed by the police, not the notary.

Please confirm that notaries are not even required to read the document other than the signature.

Couldn't I cover up the text of the document with a blank sheet of paper if I did not want the notary to see what I was attesting to?
      Last edited by incognito; 11-13-2020, 08:44 AM.
      ANY violation by ANY person of ANY provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor. - NYPL §400.00(15)
      Conspiracy in the sixth degree is a class B misdemeanor. - NYPL §105.00

Comment

Originally posted by incognito View Post

I did not imply that they did. The investigation is performed by the police, not the notary.

Please confirm that notaries are not even required to read the document other than the signature.

Couldn't I cover up the text of the document with a blank sheet of paper if I did not want the notary to see what I was attesting to?
        This is my understanding.

You could write your name on a napkin and have it notarized. They are verifying the signature is you and that’s all.

Comment

Notaries have to keep a record that includes a description of the document. So they often read it for the purpose of identification. I just renewed my pistol license and the notary at the bank read every word on the addendum page, then asked me what it is for. I coldly told him its for a "government filing" and he doesn't need to know any more.
          Last edited by Grifhunter; 11-13-2020, 05:58 PM.
          Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

This exactly.

My wife is a notary too. A notarized letter explaining the traffic violation is completely meaningless. Clearly when you hand in the application, they are checking your government id and signature. If they don't believe you are who you say you are, then even if you have a notarized letter from the Pope it isn't going to help. Just who do they think wrote those explanation letters?

The reason they have you notarize the character references is because they are NOT checking any ID of those signers so notarization provides an official check of that signature.
            Last edited by mcsprocket; 11-15-2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post

A simple explanation of the date of the event, the infraction, the disposition and the fee paid and that it is resolved. Is it ridiculous for all of the reasons you mention?? Yes, of course it is. But I know someone who recently submitted an application with similar circumstances and the I/O turned around and asked him for a notarized letter of explanation just stating the facts. Depends on the I/O you get, maybe he doesn't care, maybe he does. Or the OP can just roll the dice and hope I'm wrong...
              not for a simple traffic infraction....an arrest, YES

Comment

Working...
              X