Moving out of state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tesla View Post

This is the way to go. I recently moved to Connecticut and was told the same thing by their licensing bureau, now I have to go through the permit process here which may take a while thanks to all the covid crap.
    Not sure how different the resident process is but the CT Non Res was pretty quick as I recall. Then again, compared to NY, everyplace is pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by LIChris View Post
    Like everyone has said - just take them with you. As soon as your a resident (have a dl in hand), go to your county probate court and get your gwl (Georgia weapons license). Five years ago, it took me about 8 days from fingerprinting to having it my mail box. Your gwl will help alleviate those pesky background checks when buying a gun.

Be prepared - the bagels suck. The Chinese food and pizza are generally horrible as well.
    If you have any specific questions, let me know. I live in Walton county.
    G’night JohnnBoy.

Couldnt help myself 🤷‍♂️

Comment

The only requirement under NYS law is for you to notify NCPD within 10 days of your change of address. Ignore anything else that NCPD tells you. They may cancel your permit as a result of the move, but so what.

It's 100% legal for you to move the guns yourself, and involving an FFL in either end of the process (send/receive) will add substantial unnecessary expenses to your moving cost.
      Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Technically you are supposed to transfer them to an FFL and have the FFL ship the handguns to your destination. AFAIK driving them down is not illegal but it is most definitely a violation of the "administrative policies" surrounding your license.
        What the actual consequences are, I don't know, but I could see it becoming an issue if you're unfortunate enough to wind up back in new york trying to get a pistol license in the future.

Congrats on the move!
        Mine fell through but I have new reasons to stick around so I'm happy.
        It's all the same, we're all ashamed of our children who can't read between the lies of their textbooks
        This world must bear witness to a revolution every now and then
        We clutched our quills to scribe the bills of this great nation
        Now show me you can hold a fucking pen

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

Thanks! I'm still trying to decide where to go. Was your location based on work?

Regarding your OP...
          A friend moved down to Florida doing as OUP recommended.
          He got an angry call from NCPD saying he broke the law. He asked if they wanted him to bring them back up? That was the last he heard from them.

NCPD will probably tell you to bring all the handguns to an FFL here and have them transferred. God knows what they'll want with your permit. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

My inexpert opinion is to bring them down to Georgia as OUP said. Once you're established down there you'd be safe in contacting NCPD telling them you've moved, if you want.
          There is nothing (repeat, NOTHING) that prevents you from putting your handguns (unloaded, ammo separate) in a locked container and driving them from NY to Georgia in a trip that does not include stops (other than those needed for food, fuel, rest, etc). Any PD that tells you you must ship FFL to FFL is full of it. My Dad did it when he moved to FL, I did it when I moved, no issue. McClure-Volkmer Firearms owner protection act covers you. Best advice is out of sight, out of mind.

ETA: That angry call from the NCPD? He should ask them EXACTLY what LAW (not administrative say so) requires shipping FFL to FFL. Guarantee there will be bluster, but that's all
          NRATC53
          Grumpy Old Fart
          Last edited by NRATC53; 12-13-2021, 08:38 PM.
          Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

• Barnslayer
            Barnslayer
            It's still 9-11-01
            Barnslayer commented
            Editing a comment
            The guy in my post was himself an FFL out of Island Park. ( I bought some nice gins from him and wish I bought more). They said he broke the law. His comeback kinda ended the phone call.

• NRATC53
            NRATC53
            Grumpy Old Fart
            NRATC53 commented
            Editing a comment
            /\ Yup, all bluster, because they feel he broke a non-existent rule. In other words, he did not ":Respect my authoritay!" (in my best Cartman voice...

Originally posted by wrench View Post
          I'm moving to Georgia and want to know what the process is to ship my handguns. I've gotten a lot of different stories, in Georgia no permit required for handguns, local gunshop said all I need to do is change my drivers license from NY to Georgia. Have anybody had any experience with the process?
          See my post above

Comment

My son moved to Alabama, went to motor vehicle and got a license at 4:50 he walked out, drove to a gun store with his new license. by 5:20 he was heading home with his new Canik. 4-5 days later he had a phone chat with a sheriff and the next morning he had his carry permit.

Comment

Originally posted by viper720 View Post
              Technically you are supposed to transfer them to an FFL and have the FFL ship the handguns to your destination. AFAIK driving them down is not illegal but it is most definitely a violation of the "administrative policies" surrounding your license.
              What the actual consequences are, I don't know, but I could see it becoming an issue if you're unfortunate enough to wind up back in new york trying to get a pistol license in the future.

Congrats on the move!
              Can you provide a link that states that?
              The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

• NRATC53
                NRATC53
                Grumpy Old Fart
                NRATC53 commented
                Editing a comment
                There isn't one

• viper720
                viper720
                Unruly Ne'er Do-Well
                viper720 commented
                Editing a comment
                This.
                It is not written beyond vague ambiguity.
                "If you should move to another state, you must check with the local authorities to
                ensure compliance with any existing local or state laws governing the
                possession of handguns. As per the Federal Firearms Regulation 926A, you
                may legally transport your handguns to your new residence during your final
                move. The handguns must be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any
                ammunition being transported may be readily accessible from the passenger
                compartment of the transporting vehicle. In the case a vehicle has no other
                compartment separate from the driver‟s compartment the firearm or ammunition
                shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or
                console. Within ten (10) days of your relocation you must return your pistol
                license to the Pistol Licensing Bureau and attach a letter advising us of your
                new address, telephone number and the disposition of your handguns."

They key word is "The disposition of your handguns"

Disposition in this context is the transfer of your handgun to an entity that can legally acquire them. They will tell you verbally that this means transferring the firearm to a gun dealer, removing the firearm from your license, cancelling your license, changing your address, and then transporting or shipping the firearm.

It's ass backwards, but that is the instruction SCPD has been giving.

• NRATC53
                NRATC53
                Grumpy Old Fart
                NRATC53 commented
                Editing a comment
                "Disposition" is not the correct term. You are not transferring them to anyone else, just removing them from NYS' jurisdiction.
                They say "If you should move to another state, you must check with the local authorities to
                ensure compliance with any existing local or state laws governing the
                possession of handguns. (A good thing to tell folks) As per the Federal Firearms Regulation 926A, you
                may legally transport your handguns to your new residence during your final
                move. The handguns must be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any
                ammunition being transported may be readily accessible from the passenger
                compartment of the transporting vehicle. In the case a vehicle has no other
                compartment separate from the driver‟s compartment the firearm or ammunition
                shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or
                console. (Another good thing to tell folks who may not have carry privileges in other states) Within ten (10) days of your relocation you must return your pistol
                license to the Pistol Licensing Bureau and attach a letter advising us of your
                new address, telephone number and the disposition of your handguns."

You have NOT disposed of them, you have removed them from their reach. As such, you only have to say so, that the handguns have been removed from NYS. Period. In typical Bureaucratic fashion, they carefully craft words and use them to make folks THINK they have more authority than they actually do

Congrats on the move!
              Many of us travel with guns regularly, nothing illegal about it. Driving from NY to Georgia is covered under FOPA, as long as he is in compliance w the requirements under FOPA he is good. Whether moving, visiting or vacationing, hunting, competing…lots of reasons people travel w guns. An opinion at PLB not supported by the law is just an opinion. Worst thing that’ll happen is they’ll revoke his NY permit when he notifies them of his move. As was said earlier, the only actual requirement is to notify PLB of his change of address. Once he is in Georgia he will no longer be under the jurisdiction of his local county PD.

Comment

While we are on this topic it is also not a violation of Nassau County’s administrative restrictions to have firearms at a second residence out of state. So that pretty much settles the debate of if you need to use an FFL.

image_87381.png
                The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post
                  While we are on this topic it is also not a violation of Nassau County’s administrative restrictions to have firearms at a second residence out of state. So that pretty much settles the debate of if you need to use an FFL.

image_87381.png
                  I think we have effectively skewered the idea that you cannot take them with you. Follow the rules of FOPA- And don't be a dick. That is all

Comment

Congrats on the move!
                    Which "Administrative policies" are they? NYS jurisdiction only reaches the borders of NYS. They don't like that, but that's the way it is. On my move down, my handguns were unloaded in a locked container with ammo separate. When I crossed into VA, I pulled over and took out my EDC, Popped a mag into it and clipped the holster on, clipped on the dual mag pouch and continued with the rest of my trip. FL license was recognized through the rest of the states (I think VA has since changed)

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

Which "Administrative policies" are they? NYS jurisdiction only reaches the borders of NYS. They don't like that, but that's the way it is. On my move down, my handguns were unloaded in a locked container with ammo separate. When I crossed into VA, I pulled over and took out my EDC, Popped a mag into it and clipped the holster on, clipped on the dual mag pouch and continued with the rest of my trip. FL license was recognized through the rest of the states (I think VA has since changed)
                      According to VSP, you're still good.

VA recip.jpg

Comment

just don't carry a large amount of cash with you . The po po can confiscate it using civil forfeiture " law "

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post

According to VSP, you're still good.

VA recip.jpg
                        The Governor was rattling that he was going to cancel Reciprocity

Comment

Working...
                        X