No announcement yet.

NYC gun permits may come with a warning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning: living on an island may lead to drowning.

Warning: living on Manhattan island may lead to brain loss.

Comment

Fucking turkeys with great advice... how the hell do they keep getting elected ???

Comment

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post
        Just today I had a retired NYC detective tell me that he has never cleaned his semi-autos because he doesn't know how. I told him I would help him, but he said he was going to the range first, he didn't want to try to unload them in his house.
        We've had a couple of new NYPD officers in the store that could not tell if a revolver was loaded.
        The NYPD just doesn't train with firearms. Can't blame the officers (I guess), but it's like hiring a landscaper that is unfamiliar with shovels. It's up the agency to spend the money to insure proficiency.
        I was replying to the liability aspect Postal Bob was talking about. No need for a 'safety card' for officers to cover their ass because they get hours of safety instruction.

As for NYPD academy training, I'm assuming that they show their recruits how to take their semi-auto guns apart. After that, the NYPD trains/quals at least once a year, but taking your gun apart may not be part of the day. I do know the NYPD used to show officers how to clean their revolvers.

I also assure you that if an officer was trained with a revolver he/she "should" know how to reload it/check if loaded as a qualification course is (was) 50 rounds. At the same time, I know MANY officers that have zero experience with revolvers. And if you add in single-action only pistols you'd get even more that don't know how it works.

The majority of officers I know are not gun guys. They have to use their guns once or twice a year for quals, that's it. Besides the obvious safety reasons for knowing how to use your gun, if you only have to deal with anything once or twice a year you probably won't be efficient with it....sadly enough.
        Last edited by Dan 0351; 10-31-2017, 05:00 PM.
        No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

They screwed up they forgot to mention guns can be dangerous to Terriorists health

Comment

Their point is to scare women from getting licenses, or to have women veto their men from having guns in the home by trotting out the canard that a gun in the house is more likely to result in the residents being shot by that gun than a bad guy. They don't separate out within their crappy studies whether the gun in the house was owned by a licensed person, whether there are felons or drug addicts in the home or whether the guns are present in the home due to being brought in by someone who is ineligible to own one.

When it comes to just legal gun owners, the stats have no such correlation.

Last edited by Grifhunter; 11-01-2017, 12:40 AM.

Comment

The only thing dumber than these politicians are the halfwits who buy their nonsense and keep voting for them

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

I was replying to the liability aspect Postal Bob was talking about. No need for a 'safety card' for officers to cover their ass because they get hours of safety instruction.

As for NYPD academy training, I'm assuming that they show their recruits how to take their semi-auto guns apart. After that, the NYPD trains/quals at least once a year, but taking your gun apart may not be part of the day. I do know the NYPD used to show officers how to clean their revolvers.

I also assure you that if an officer was trained with a revolver he/she "should" know how to reload it/check if loaded as a qualification course is (was) 50 rounds. At the same time, I know MANY officers that have zero experience with revolvers. And if you add in single-action only pistols you'd get even more that don't know how it works.

The majority of officers I know are not gun guys. They have to use their guns once or twice a year for quals, that's it. Besides the obvious safety reasons for knowing how to use your gun, if you only have to deal with anything once or twice a year you probably won't be efficient with it....sadly enough.
                The Suffolk Sheriff's requals include a maintenance check by the armorer and supervised cleaning by the officers.

I would hope that NYPD cops get the same. Less makes little sense.

Comment

Working...
                X