Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAFE Act: Deadline approaches to re-up pistol permits

SAFE Act: Deadline approaches to re-up pistol permits

Jon Campbell, jcampbell1@gannett.com Published 12:31 p.m. ET Nov. 20, 2017 | Updated 5:04 p.m. ET Nov. 21, 2017

Rep. Chris Collins has proposed new federal legislation that would make illegal key parts of New York's SAFE Act. Collins' bill is called SAGA — the Second Amendment Guarantee Act. Jeff DiVeronica

ALBANY - Those with New York pistol permits dating back prior to 2013 will soon have re-certify or face having their license automatically revoked.

State Police on Monday warned pistol-permit holders of the quickly approaching Jan. 31 deadline to re-up their license with the state, which is required as part of the SAFE Act, the state's 2013 gun-control measure.

State law requires permit holders outside Westchester, New York City and Long Island to file with the state every five years.

Those who were issued a pistol or revolver permit before Jan. 15, 2013 -- the day the SAFE Act became law -- will have to complete the recertification process by Jan. 31, 2018, according to state law.

For those who received a permit after the SAFE Act took effect, the deadline is five years after the permit was issued.

If a permit holder misses the deadline, the permit is automatically revoked.

"As part of the recertification process, licensees must affirm that they are not prohibited from possessing firearms under state and federal law, and must also confirm certain personal information, as well as provide details about the pistols and/or revolvers they own," according to State Police.

The state's re-certification process doesn't apply to those in Westchester County, New York City and on Long Island, which had already required pistol license holders to periodically re-up prior to the SAFE Act.

In Westchester, pistol permit holders have to re-certify every five years through the county clerk, not State Police.

There is no cost to re-certify with State Police.

To re-certify, visit troopers.ny.gov/firearms. Then click "Pistol / Revolver License Recertification" if you wish to complete the process online.

Otherwise, you can download a paper version and mail the completed form to New York State Police, Pistol Permit Bureau, Building 22, 1220 Washington Ave., Albany, NY 12226-2252.

Paper forms can also be picked up at State Police stations.

The SAFE Act helped lead to a large spike in pistol permits New York, according to data from the state Division of Criminal Justice Services.

In 2013, 33,030 pistol permits were approved outside New York City — a 48 percent increase from 2012 — amid gun owners' backlash to the gun-control law, which angered Second Amendment groups across New York.

Last year, 29,910 handgun permits were issued outside New York City from January through October, rivaling the SAFE Act year and boosted in part by the presidential election.
    Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Anyone want to go on a boat trip. There's a bunch of holes in the hull and i want to take it out one last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Exonautic View Post
      Anyone want to go on a boat trip. There's a bunch of holes in the hull and i want to take it out one last time.
      a three hour cruise ?

Comment

I did mine. The website isn't too bad to use, but the time it takes when you have more than a couple of guns is rough. First world problems...

Comment

Anyone know what the Suffolk county process is? Mine expires October 2018
          "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." ~ John 15:13

"Let him who desires peace prepare for war." ~ Vegetius

Comment

The state's re-certification process doesn't apply to those in Westchester County, New York City and on Long Island, which had already required pistol license holders to periodically re-up prior to the SAFE Act.
            is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Paté View Post
              I did mine. The website isn't too bad to use, but the time it takes when you have more than a couple of guns is rough. First world problems...
              How many weeks did it take you?

You should move to Long Island where we don't have to worry about this bullshit portion of the SAFE Act because we've had to do it for years. We are soooooo progressive.

Originally posted by Lostinthewoods View Post

is this correct?
              Yes. Because we had to reapply for pistol licenses long before the SAFE Act.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefSailer View Post
                Anyone know what the Suffolk county process is? Mine expires October 2018
                They'll send you the renewal papers in the mail about 4 to 6 weeks prior to your expiration date.
                Just make sure you get them. Fill them out, supply a photo and be safe, take them to SCPD PLB with a $10.00 check. They'll take three photos of you, front, left and right views.
                When you turn them in it will take a few weeks to get your new license. They give you a letter stating if you don't receive the new license before your current one expires the letter AND your old license is GTG.

"Any man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have."
                President T. Roosevelt
                OUR FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW !

Comment

This is the Nassau process:
                  https://www.pdcn.org/251/Pistol-License-Renewal

Comment

I renewed online with Nassau. Easy, but I only own 5 pistols.
                    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

How many weeks did it take you?

You should move to Long Island where we don't have to worry about this bullshit portion of the SAFE Act because we've had to do it for years. We are soooooo progressive.
                      I certainly don't miss doing the Yaphank shuffle back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Paté View Post

I certainly don't miss doing the Yaphank shuffle back in the day.
                        I was considering suing the SCPD because the shuffle is contributing to the extinction of polar bears with its unnecessary carbon emissions adversely effecting climate change.
                        Do you think the Al Gore and other liberals will fund my lawsuit?
                        It's for the polar bears. And the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

I was considering suing the SCPD because the shuffle is contributing to the extinction of polar bears with its unnecessary carbon emissions adversely effecting climate change.
                          Do you think the Al Gore and other liberals will fund my lawsuit?
                          It's for the polar bears. And the children.
                          Good luck with that!

I don't have to bring guns back for inspection, but having to wait for the judge to send me back approval to purchase kinda blows.

Comment

Working...
                          X