Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I was upstate sitting on a friend's porch Looking Out of the mountains....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was upstate sitting on a friend's porch Looking Out of the mountains....

..... and I wondered what the process is buying a pistol if you live up here and a licensed in the county. It turns out that every pistol purchase has to be signed off by a judge. So depending on the judges schedule and whether they let them Stack Up it may take more than a month to get the okay before you can go back to the LGS to pick up your pistol . NCPLB is a walk in the park.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary, it is the stupid ones who need advice.

What doesn't kill you ... will circle around for a second attempt.

It's nice to know that there's bullshit infringement all over this liberal shithole.

BTW, where upstate? is this a county rule or a township thing?
    Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

However they all get carry unrestricted permits up there

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post
        It's nice to know that there's bullshit infringement all over this liberal shithole.

BTW, where upstate? is this a county rule or a township thing?
        This is a Statewide ruling. Previously to 2017 the sheriff's could administratively sign off on all purchases but the ruling came down that only judges could do this

Comment

Originally posted by Rrudo74901 View Post
          However they all get carry unrestricted permits up there
          From what I read this is not necessarily the case

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post
            From what I read this is not necessarily the case
            I guess progressivism is infiltrating the upstate areas but in general that is/was the case. I know several people who live up that way and they have carry permits as they follow state law which is issue either carry or premesis

Comment

This is a Statewide ruling. Previously to 2017 the sheriff's could administratively sign off on all purchases but the ruling came down that only judges could do this
              I'm confused. How can it be statewide and we don't have to do it that way?
              Is this something from the SAFE Act?

Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

I'm confused. How can it be statewide and we don't have to do it that way?
                Is this something from the SAFE Act?
                No, this predates the unSAFE act. I remember back in '07 a friend up in Rensselaer county had to go through this getting his first pistol. I thought it might have just been for the first but no, turns out it was every one of them.

Not sure how we are exempt from it. I think it's because our permits were never lifetime, they were always 5 year (I think?) permits. Upstate permits were lifetime up until the unSAFE act.

Comment

Yes but Cuomo don't care about upstate they don't vote for him. Cuomo does nothing but hurt the economy upstate. That being said people can barely survive up there so you probably only have to wait for 4 people applying in front of you.

Comment

I have a few friends that live up that way.
                    Upstate gun owners require a judge to sign off before being able to take possession of a handgun (purchase). And depending on the judge's schedule, it could take weeks.
                    Unlike our PLB, one can get a P.O and take possession the same day.

NOT all upstate counties/ towns offer full carry. Some upstate counties/towns have restrictions, some require justification.

Comment

..... and I wondered what the process is buying a pistol if you live up here and a licensed in the county. It turns out that every pistol purchase has to be signed off by a judge. So depending on the judges schedule and whether they let them Stack Up it may take more than a month to get the okay before you can go back to the LGS to pick up your pistol . NCPLB is a walk in the park.
                      You're overselling it. It's way better upstate. Of course it depends on the details. Sullivan and Delaware (where I own a "ranch" and have a private range) is pretty pro 2A. Elected Sheriff and Judge.

The Pistol Clerk in the town hall handles the application and the county judge issues the license, typically unrestricted. (you do have to be a full time resident, however, and they do check with the amount of second homes there).

No BS police license bureau (which is only a downstate phenomena). Nowadays the process takes longer than it used to but it's still much better than Nassau or Suffolk. And it's great plinking on your own land or private range. Much more realistic training than static shooting with 3 second pauses etc. etc.

Comment

They will issue blank purchase docs so you can have one or two or three ready to use. No need to wait.

Comment

What does DSI say about this?

Comment

A friend, who has never owned a gun, just got full carry in the Rochester area. I don't know the timeline, but it was signed off by a judge with no issues.

Comment

I once waited 2 months for my Desert Eagle paperwork to show up.
                              Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Comment

Working...
                              X