Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MFStang
    replied
    Well I plan to call Sullivan County today and see what they say. I'll try to keep the post updated as I go through the process

Leave a comment:

• bigbore44
    replied
    Would imaging when new one is in place, Nassau permit is no longer valid/void. Then if/when you visit down here afterwards, you can give NCPD HQ the finger as you drive around with your full carry permit without any restrictions.

Congrats on the new Sullivan county diggs.

Leave a comment:

• MFStang
    replied
    Bringing this back up to the top to see if anyone else has any insight.

Just closed on a house in Sullivan. From what I can gather I think the process is to go to NCPD and ask them to transfer my file to Sullivan. Go to Sullivan and tell them to expect my file from Nassau. Once they have it and review it, they issue me a Sullivan permit with the same restrictions as Nassau, then I have to apply for amendment to have the restrictions removed.

My biggest concern is what happens to my Nassau permit once I ask for the file transfer? Any one know?

Leave a comment:

• M_F
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

I just called one friend to verify for you; his pistol license has the Sullivan County address, and no, it doesn't match his driver's license.
    Thank you for finding out, interesting that he did not change his address for pistol license since he still lives part time in Sullivan county. PL 400 requires an amendment address change within 10 days of moving, it looks like it does not apply to him. If he ever moves out of state and sells both homes he might even be able to keep his NYS permit, with an out of state address, at least according to this guy.

http://concealednation.org/2018/06/a...carry-permits/

Leave a comment:

• bigbore44
    replied
    I figured the Star program would come into this some how.

Leave a comment:

• Fenucho
    replied
    Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

Aside from changing the address on your driver's license and voter registration.... how do you prove which is your primary home?
    You should start with that. If that is not enough, then provide them with your STAR program information. You can only get that refund on your primary residence.

As to having two NYS residences, I don't know about Sullivan County, but my county (Warren) has changed it's policy.
    They advised me that it's the way of things to come. They don't know (or care) when, but it's coming.
    If you want to apply for a partime resident NYS permit, the primary residence must be out of state.
    You have to apply for a permit in your primary NYS County.
    Transferring into the County is easy as requesting the files.

Leave a comment:

• Dan 0351
    replied
    Originally posted by M_F View Post

What address do they have on their Pistol license? Nassau county or their second home? Does it have to match driver's license?
    I just called one friend to verify for you; his pistol license has the Sullivan County address, and no, it doesn't match his driver's license.

Leave a comment:

• M_F
    replied
    I just read a court case where it doesn't HAVE to be your 'primary' home to have a pistol permit in another county, or even state. It just has to be a 'residence' there, even if only part-time.

I know several people who have upstate partial residences and 'full carry' pistol licenses from there, but live mostly in Nassau County. Some of these guys have literally 100's of handguns in Nassau, and Nassau County Pistol License is not involved in any way.

What address do they have on their Pistol license? Nassau county or their second home? Does it have to match driver's license?

Leave a comment:

• Huntington Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

and they screwed themselves with it!
    They get more wins than we do. It’s a shame this state will not recognize our rights over the list of whose they already do, in my lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• NRATC53
    replied
    Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
    Got it. Statutory inconsistency is the law of our particular land.
    and they screwed themselves with it!

Leave a comment:

• Huntington Guy
    replied
    Got it. Statutory inconsistency is the law of our particular land.

Leave a comment:

• Dan 0351
    replied
    Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
    Even allowing for administrative restrictions, for the rights of non residents to out weigh home state residents rights seems to fly in the face of established standards that treat these two classes differently. Taxes, tuition, employment and countless other “benefits” that state residents enjoy over non residents of a state.
    Yessir, if you d/l and read the case opinion, here's the ending:

Finally, and most conclusively, Penal Law § 400.00 itself contemplates that licenses may be issued to individuals who do not make their domicile in New York. When a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver "is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant" (Penal Law § 400.00 [7]). Since a handgun license may be issued, under the statute, to a person who is "not . . . usually a resident" in New York State, it is clear that there is no requirement of domicile. V.
    Because we hold that Penal Law § 400.00 (3) (a) does not preclude an individual who owns a part-time residence in New York but makes his permanent domicile in another state from applying for a New York handgun license, we have no occasion to decide whether a contrary law would be unconstitutional.

Leave a comment:

• Huntington Guy
    replied
    I remember a case not too long ago involving a PA resident who had a business inside NYS. That was the catalyst for the NYS non-res license.

Dans example raises an interesting question for me. If a p/t resident of NYS or someone with residences in more than one county of NYS are eligible to be issued a PL in “either or”, doesn’t that support an argument that NYS (yes, I am very familiar with the authority of the “licensing authority or issuing officer”) views certain individuals, to include non residents of NYS to be more worthy of self protection than other NYS residents?
    Even allowing for administrative restrictions, for the rights of non residents to out weigh home state residents rights seems to fly in the face of established standards that treat these two classes differently. Taxes, tuition, employment and countless other “benefits” that state residents enjoy over non residents of a state.

Leave a comment:

• bigbore44
    replied

A friend just went through it, used me as a reference. Has a house in Nassau and a very small place upstate. Got it pretty quickly.
    I'm going to have to look further into this. Very interesting indeed.

Leave a comment:

• bigbore44
    replied
    Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

Aside from changing the address on your driver's license and voter registration.... how do you prove which is your primary home?
    Not 100% sure, but the drivers license is one item, along with everything else important to have that address(Social Security? Work pay stubs etc). Also, you have to live there more than 6+ months a year. Then again, I could be wrong. I do know that is the reason why I cannot vote on anything at my place upstate. Of course, I would just LOVE to move my permit up there, and tell NCPD and their restrictions to GFTS's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X