NYC Firearm Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYC Firearm Laws

My kid lives in Brooklyn and wants to purchase a firearm. Does anybody have a Reader's Digest version of what the boundaries are?
    Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Inside five boroughs, need a permit to legally own a long gun. If his driver's license has a NYC (five boroughs) address on it, he will not be allowed to make a purchase anywhere in NY..

Comment

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post
      Inside five boroughs, need a permit to legally own a long gun. If his driver's license has a NYC (five boroughs) address on it, he will not be allowed to make a purchase anywhere in NY..
      How does he buy a gun if he can't purchase a gun?
      Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post

Need to get the permit first and good luck with what’s going on. If things really get bad lend him one or have him come to Long Island and stay with you. If it’s gets that bad that’s what I’m going to tell my daughter and son in law in NJ. Pack all the supplies you can and come over.

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post

Need to get the permit first and good luck with what’s going on. If things really get bad lend him one or have him come to Long Island and stay with you. If it’s gets that bad that’s what I’m going to tell my daughter and son in law in NJ. Pack all the supplies you can and come over.
          This. I had a big conversation with my buddy who lives in NYC. I'm like either come to LI and stay with your parents or deal with some potential shit if you have to hunker down in your apartment. On your way out the door drop off an application so that in 6 months you can actually have a firearm in your residence.

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post

His girlfriend is an asshole. He said they were preparing to bug out. I asked him where to. He said to a friend's house upstate. He's not dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post

He doesn’t. You could lend him one but if he gets caught with it in NYC, he’s gonna be facing a felony charge. Had a similar discussion with a friend. Told him if he feels that unsafe, to pack his shit and all of the supplies he has and he can move in with me.

Comment

spider Your son needs to go to Queens Blvd courts.
                Find the NYC Rifle and Shotgun unit.
                Apply for a permit
                Wait 3-4 months to get a permit that cost $300-$400.
                Go buy shotgun filling out paperwork.
                Go back to the permit unit register the shotgun.
                NYC simple.

its been over 11 years that I had to go through that bullshit. It might be harder now.

Comment

People in rifle and Shotgun unit were very nice and helpful, at least 5 years ago, when I lived there. Don't forget, NYC has there own list of firearms that not allowed there. Not a big deal to get permit for a long guns. Pistol permit- very different story.

Comment

NYC residents must posses a shotgun/rifle permit in order to buy any long gun. Any rifle /shotgun that they have at their NYC resident must be registered with NYPD (NYC rules.)

If your son has a NYC address on his driver license, or wants to keep the rifle/shotgun in NYC... he will need to apply for a NYC shotgun/rifle permit.
                    LGS will not sell him a long gun if his DL shows a NYC address and he doesn't have a NYC rifle/shotgun permit.

NYC only allow rifles/ shotguns that holds five rounds (many tube feed rifles are not legal in NYC because they can hold more than 5rds.) NYC has a ban on "all" AR's/AK's.

(former NYC permit holder).

Last edited by Mak45; 03-16-2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X