NYC permit while living in Long Island temporarily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYC permit while living in Long Island temporarily

I applied for my NYC licenses in March as a Manhattan resident. I moved our family in with the in-laws in Long Island in April as my business shut down in the city. I changed my residence and NY license to reflect the LI address for taxes and voter registration. I just received confirmation from NYPD license division to make an appt for fingerprinting. I guess I could revert my license back to my NYC address (I own the apt) but don't want to jeopardize my voting ballot. I have my NYC driver's license but don't want to show up with a license that isn't supposed to exist anymore right? How would you handle this?

Do you plan on moving back into the city?

Comment

• saikosol
      saikosol commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes but prob in 2021.

Why would you want such a restrictive "permit"?
    Apply for one at your LI address.

Comment

• saikosol
      saikosol commented
      Editing a comment
      I could but the wait is going to be at least 6 months and I may move back to Manhattan by then.

To be clear, this is a pistol license/permit? Now that you reside in New York State (Nassau or Suffolk) you may immediately buy any long gun with a drivers license and in-store 4473 check (shotgun, pistol caliber carbine, rifle, 14 inch other, etc)

as per handgun licensing I do believe that is up to your primary residence where you pay taxes (I have a second home upstate where there is open carry and a judge issued unrestricted licenses but they check residency.) In any case despite the wait a license issued by Nassau or Suffolk would be better than the city, and it seems that your permanent residency is out of the city now anyways even if you plan on it being “temporary” (your your car insurance should also get better rates now too).
    Last edited by Destro; 09-30-2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• saikosol
      saikosol commented
      Editing a comment
      I applied for both pistol and long gun NYC licenses but for this thread yes pistol as I've already purchased an AR15 and shotgun while living in LI.

Welcome to Long Island. Home of shitty gun laws that are way better than the horrible gun laws in NYC.
    Last edited by spider; 09-30-2020, 06:10 PM.
    Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

• saikosol
      saikosol commented
      Editing a comment
      lol. I'm not mad at LI gun laws as much since I at least have my AR15 and bullpup shotgun. I'm sure NYC will make it anything but easy to transfer them once I move back.

As I see it you are no longer a NYC resident. You don’t pay city taxes nor vote in the city. You live full time on Long Island. Ownership of real estate does not qualify you for a handgun license, you have to be there —I believe, it can vary by county—over 50 percent of the time and pay taxes there for a primary residency (this comes up with car insurance and handgun licenses for second homes all the time)

I’m not even sure you legally qualify for a nyc license until you move back and start paying city taxes again.
    Last edited by Destro; 09-30-2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• saikosol
      saikosol commented
      Editing a comment
      that's good insight and sounds like it holds ground. Perhaps I can ask for a 2021 fingerprinting date which would buy me time and not cancel the licensing process which I've already paid and waited 6 months for.

The bottom line is your residence is where you vote and the address on your license, they should both be the same.
    Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Yeah...pretty sure the moment you ID yourself with your shiny new LI addressed DL they’ll can your app on the spot.
      When they kick out your front door
      How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head
      Or on the trigger of your gun?

Comment

NYPD firearm appl. requires a valid DL. Producing your old NYC address DL will probably get flagged in their investigation because you updated it with a L.I. address.
        imo, You applied for a NYPD firearm permit... You will need to change your DL back to the NYC address, otherwise when the NYPD investigator runs your DL it will come back with a LI address.

As you said, living with your in-laws is temporary. You still own the apt in the city. You intend to move back to your apt in the city. NYC is your permanent residence. L.I. is just "Temporary". As far as voting, you'll have to vote in the city.

( NYPD/ NYC rules requires NYC residents to posses a handgun permit or long gun permit (different permits for what ever applies) if they are to posses either.)
        Last edited by Mak45; 10-01-2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• saikosol
          saikosol commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks for the response. I agree. I think my best option is to delay the fingerprinting until after the election and possibly even Jan of 2021 as I'm sure those dates haven't been filled yet.
      Working...
      X