Hawaii CCW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii CCW

A guy on my staff is retiring and moving to Hawaii. He is a gun guy and wants to bring his handguns with him when he moves. Just for kicks I was looking at Hawaii CCW online tonight....HOOFHAA. It's a CCW mess out there if this story is accurate.
    Hawaii Did Not Issue Any Gun-Carry Permits to Private Citizens in 2016

'It's preposterous'

TWEET
    EMAIL
    Student displays his Glock 9mm semi-automatic handgun on the University of Utah campus
    Holstered handgun / AP

BY: Stephen Gutowski
    February 2, 2017 10:50 am

The state of Hawaii did not issue any gun-carry permits to private citizens in 2016, documents released to the Washington Free Beacon on Tuesday show.

Documents submitted by county police to the state's Department of the Attorney General show that every application by a private citizen for a concealed-carry permit was denied in 2016. That makes Hawaii the only state in the country not to issue even a single concealed-carry permit last year.

"All other states have issued permits," said Dr. John Lott Jr. of the Crime Prevention Research Center, which tracks the number of gun-carry permits across the country. "The next lowest state is New Jersey with about 1,200 permits, but half of those are issued to judges and retired police officers. Even D.C. last year had 74 permits for civilians being able to carry."

Since the Hawaii concealed-carry permit is only valid for one year, Hawaii was also the only state in the country not to have any active concealed-carry permits issued to private citizens. Hawaii's concealed-carry law requires that only in "an exceptional case" where somebody can show "reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property" may a county police chief issue a permit. Unlike in most of the country, however, the county police chiefs have the ultimate authority over who does and does not get a permit.

According to the Department of the Attorney General's 2015 Firearms Registration report, Hawaii County did not issue a single concealed-carry permit to a private citizen from 2000 through at least 2014—a not unusual practice in Hawaii. "Statewide, there have been a couple/few over the years," Paul Perrone, Hawaii's chief of research and statistics, told the Free Beacon.

George Pace, a local gun-rights activist, said the system is impossible to navigate. "They do not issue licenses (by the last chief’s own admission, as far as he knew there has never been a license issued in this county), so a person is wasting their time and money going through the ‘process,'" he said. "People have reportedly even been told as they turn in their paperwork to the clerks ‘You will not get a license' without them even reading the application (i.e., there is no such thing as ‘an exceptional case', no matter what you write on there), and of course the official records bear that out."

"It's preposterous."

Hawaii has long had some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. Beyond their concealed-carry law, the state requires permits to buy firearms, requires them to be registered, and submits gun owners to a federal database. Gun rights activists are preparing to target the state in federal court because they believe that's what will be necessary to change their laws.

"Hawaii keeps defying the United States Supreme Court rulings in Heller and McDonald," Alan Gottlieb of the Second Amendment Foundation said. "It will take getting a Supreme Court ruling to get Hawaii to issue permits. As soon as President Trump gets his nominee seated on the Court, the Hawaii de facto ban will be in the crosshairs of the gun rights movement."

Well, if he's on your staff I assume he's from Long Island, so its just the same shit without the "carry to and from" provision. Basically add in a six hour class, then you go through the same BS we do here with a purchase document, takes a month or so to get your approval (at least in Maui) then you can have your handgun(s) at home, you can tote them to the range in a lockbox (well, you are supposed to use a lockbox) and/or you can keep them at the range.
    In reality, I think CCW in Hawaii would be cumbersome and inconvenient due to the weather, but it's also the only place on earth I've almost been mugged by a gang of local "youths" , so there's that.

ETA: At least it doesn't take 18 months and cost $400 like it does here.

Comment

A couple years ago we were in Maui and looking to purchase a condo in Kihea. We've found a place right across from the beach and ready to put the down payment down. That weekend we took a ride up to Lahaina and along the way there's a rifle range. For the heck of it we drove in to check out where I'd be shooting. Got to talking to some of the members shooting there and after a 1/2 hr I changed my mind about buying there. A beautiful place to visit but screw the liberals who run the state.

Comment

Originally posted by C6NY View Post
        A couple years ago we were in Maui and looking to purchase a condo in Kihea. We've found a place right across from the beach and ready to put the down payment down. That weekend we took a ride up to Lahaina and along the way there's a rifle range. For the heck of it we drove in to check out where I'd be shooting. Got to talking to some of the members shooting there and after a 1/2 hr I changed my mind about buying there. A beautiful place to visit but screw the liberals who run the state.

There's also a clays place south of Kihei down by where the fish bowl is, whatever number marker, I forget. It's above the lava flow so you shoot over the lava flow and the ocean, real scenic. There is also a guided hunt/safari place up on the north shore somewhere, but I have no idea where they hunt, Iao is nothing but vertical jungle so I can't even imagine what it would be like trying to hunt there.

I wouldn't buy there either, there's only go much poi a person can take, and besides not being particularly cheap, it gets old rather fast. My brother lived on the north shore for seven years, but when he decided to buy he went back to the PNW. I do like POG and rum though, too bad you can't get POG here.
        Last edited by Guess Who; 08-22-2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Its not all horrible, you can shoot handguns at the range without a license.

ETA, and there is a shooting range in the mall.

Comment

Originally posted by GSM-Racing View Post
            Its not all horrible, you can shoot handguns at the range without a license.

ETA, and there is a shooting range in the mall.
            Hey, where's that? There are a couple of spots in Waikiki and Honolulu, where's the mall one? Big island?(never been- well, except for plane changes)

Comment

Originally posted by Guess Who View Post

Hey, where's that? There are a couple of spots in Waikiki and Honolulu, where's the mall one? Big island?(never been- well, except for plane changes)
              Well, never mind, I looked it up to link to their website, to find that they closed a year ago. It was in Honolulu, on the top floor of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center.

Comment

Originally posted by GSM-Racing View Post

Well, never mind, I looked it up to link to their website, to find that they closed a year ago. It was in Honolulu, on the top floor of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center.
                Ah, bummer. There are a couple others in that area, I think they are all in detached not-so-nice buildings though. And tiny.

Comment

Working...
                X