Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retired LEOs in NJ.... Your State doesn't like LEOSA

https://www.tactical-life.com/news/n...ng-cops-leosa/

Historically, New Jersey is one of the only states that frequently tries to neuter federal law geared toward law enforcement; perhaps no instance more evident than the ongoing battle over LEOSA (the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act).
    timothy deal new jersey cop shooting
    RELATED STORY

WATCH: New Jersey Cop Shoots Man Who Stabs Him With a Knife

In New Jersey, the 2016 violent crime rate in Newark was 135.96 percent higher than the national violent crime rate average. In Camden, the 2012 statistics (the most current) saw a violent crime rate 563.3 percent higher than the national average. And in Trenton, the state capital, the 2016 violent crime rate was 239.33 precent higher than the national violent crime rate. Clearly the members of the New Jersey Legislature are missing all of that during their commute to their Trenton offices.

By comparison, New York City’s 2016 violent crime ratewas only 44 percent higher than the national average. Which leads to the question: What is the New Jersey Legislature doing about violent crime in these major urban hubs?

The answer, reinforcing the taking away the guns of law enforcement. How LEOSA Works

In an Oct. 12, 2018 directive, the New Jersey Attorney General once again reinforced New Jersey’s thwarting of LEOSA.

LEOSA is a federal law, enacted in 2004, which allows two classes of people — the “qualified Law Enforcement officer” and the “qualified retired or separated Law Enforcement officer” — to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States or United States Territories, regardless of state or local laws, with certain exceptions. The exceptions are that a state can restrict carry authority on private property (bars, amusement parks, etc.); a state can restrict carry on state property (courts, state office buildings, etc.); and on school grounds.

Officials amended the law in 2010 and 2013; in both cases LEOSA authority was actually expanding and enhanced.

LEOSA was enacted to ensure active and retired officers were protected from a patchwork of state concealed carry laws. It was also enacted to ensure that law enforcement officers — on or off duty — could be a force multiplier in the event something happens and an off duty or retired law enforcement officer is nearby to help. The recent mass shootings in California and Pittsburgh reinforce the need for law enforcement officers, of all generations, around the nation to be capable of being ready. LEOSA’s Federal History

LEOSA’s legislative history also indicated its framers’ intention was to supersede all states laws, including the home state of the individual claiming its exemption.

For example, Congress declared LEOSA’s purpose was to implement “national measures of uniformity and consistency” and allow officers to carry a concealed firearm “anywhere within the United States.”

In addition, Congress rejected efforts to allow states to opt out of LEOSA.

The House of Representatives also defeated — and the Senate refused to consider — proposed amendments aimed at preserving local law enforcement agencies’ discretion to regulate “the conditions under which their officers may carry firearms”; this made LEOSA the law of the land — expect in New Jersey. New Jersey vs. LEOSA

Since inception, New Jersey has tried to restrict, place hurdles and impede an officer’s LEOSA authorities. How?

For starters, an officer must obtain a New Jersey permit to purchase and carry a firearm.

They are also not allowed to carry uniformly standard law enforcement hollow point ammunition, which ballistics have proven is more effective and less penetrating than full metal jacket ammunition (mandated by New Jersey).

If they want to carry across state lines, they must qualify at the same level as active officers.

These regulations essentially turn retired law enforcement officers into criminals if they comply with federal law but dare not comply with New Jersey’s overly restrictive regulations. Essentially New Jersey says, “LEOSA means nothing. You must get a separate permit (which involves a fee) and follow our rules.”

What’s sad though is that the criminals in Camden, Trenton and Newark clearly have no rules to follow. They seem to inflict as much mayhem as they want. Meanwhile, the legislators in Trenton are more concerned about restricting guns for law enforcement.

Instead of continuing to ignore a federal law and forcing law enforcement officers to go “above and beyond” in order to be armed and ready, the New Jersey Legislators should go visit the streets of Trenton, Camden and Newark. Try helping law enforcement officers there take guns off of those streets instead of out of their hands.

​​​​​​​

FUNJ
    Retired and loving it.

Comment

Are these NJ retired LEO’s the same ones that when they were active cops would arrest active LEO’s from other states?

Comment

Originally posted by LazyLab View Post
        Are these NJ retired LEO’s the same ones that when they were active cops would arrest active LEO’s from other states?
        Probably.

I left home on Sunday to drive down to AR to visit my son. On the first leg of my trip, I had to make a detour to go to PA to empty out my storage locker there of some magazines (not the reading type) to bring to my son. It was just getting too expensive keeping them in PA, in a storage locker (over the course of the past 5+ years), while hoping the SAFE Act would be found unconstitutional. Normally, I would not dive through NJ even though usually the shorter an faster route. Because I was looking at a very long day of driving, I drove 733 miles that first day, I chose to drive through NJ this time. I was quite anxious to get out of NJ because I was armed and also had other guns and ammo in my trunk locked in hard cases. It was a big relief to cross over into PA and then through freer states than NJ or NY on my way to AR. NJ (along with two or three other states) is, as far as I am concerned, about the closest thing we have in this country to a fascist state. I truly dislike even driving through it.
        Retired and loving it.

Comment

One of my sergeants told me a story of a time years back he drove through jersey to go to a wedding or some event and was stopped by a jersey agency who once he identified him self as a LEO immediately asks are you armed and is it loaded. His response was yes I am, the officer then proceeded to tell him he needed to unload his firearm. Long story short my sergeant said do me a favor call you supervisor here now because I’m not unloading my firearm, the officer had a hurt ego and stormed off and ended the interaction.

Comment

Originally posted by blwn89gt View Post

One of my sergeants told me a story of a time years back he drove through jersey to go to a wedding or some event and was stopped by a jersey agency who once he identified him self as a LEO immediately asks are you armed and is it loaded. His response was yes I am, the officer then proceeded to tell him he needed to unload his firearm. Long story short my sergeant said do me a favor call you supervisor here now because I’m not unloading my firearm, the officer had a hurt ego and stormed off and ended the interaction.
            Good for your Sergeant! That's top notch bullshit, and an accident waiting to happen...instead of leaving a perfectly safe, loaded gun holstered, let's chance a discharge by telling him to unholster & unload; makes sense!

Comment

It's a pretty fucked up world when an on duty officer considers an off duty or retired LEO a threat to their safety.
              It's almost at the point now where if you're pulled over in NJ, it's better to take the traffic ticket than identify yourself as LEO.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmup View Post
                It's a pretty fucked up world when an on duty officer considers an off duty or retired LEO a threat to their safety.
                It's almost at the point now where if you're pulled over in NJ, it's better to take the traffic ticket than identify yourself as LEO.
                The True believers will stop Marked Police vehicles with uniformed officers in them. Some believe they’re doing Gods work the normal ones treat it as a job use common sense and discretion and go home to their families.
                Last edited by LazyLab; 12-12-2018, 03:58 PM.

Comment

The True believers will stop Marked Police vehicles with uniformed officers in them. Some believe they’re doing Gods work the normal ones treat it as a job use common sense and discretion and go home to their families.
                  Most are Detectives...

Comment

Its almost as if NJ LEOs want to go to war with everyone and become pariahs, inviting retaliation every time they leave their state. Of course, their own bosses will disown them when it happens to them.

Comment

Yes, I agree NJ is chock full of BS policies.
                      Yes, I believe LEOSA should be honored in NJ.

On the other hand it gives LEO’s a chance to see what it’s like living on the other side of things.
                      Laws should apply equally to all law abiding Americans, LEO or otherwise.
                      We live in a place where we are at the disadvantage by being American citizens and the scumbags are afforded more permissive and forgiving treatment than we are.

Comment

A friend (Retired LEO) was arrested in NJ, had his guns seized etc. He beat it and got his guns back but it cost him 5 Grand
                        Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Funny; I wasn't born or cloned from whole cloth as a LEO. I was born and raised as a mortal in that cesspool of a city and even there the laws of the 60s and 80s were restrictive but livable. I became a LEO right around the time the city became totally unlivable for people who wanted to be free. 21 years didn't make NYC better, it made it worse.

As the years went by my mantra to every victim of crime I encountered became simple. Burgs? Robberies? Scams? Assaults?
                          So long as NYC made itself a haven for the miscreants, the insane homeless, the FSA, its like shoveling back the tide of bullshit with a teaspoon, with one hand tied behind your back and one eye blinded. The Fortress Bodega experiment will fail; no business owner will spend the money to adequately armor their store or survive the first lawsuit from a mugging victim, a live connection to the precinct won't improve police response when the city hires fewer cops every year, and the city constantly increasing the restrictiond on LEO use of force.

They will not let you win. You want to change this? LEAVE. Don't pay their salaries. Don't buy them food. Don't buy them health care. Don't put a roof over their heads. Every day you work here there's one FSA at least riding your back. You don't want this? Leave the state. Your vote is wasted here.

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post
                            A friend (Retired LEO) was arrested in NJ, had his guns seized etc. He beat it and got his guns back but it cost him 5 Grand
                            Was he arrested for? BEING a retired LEO?

Comment

Originally posted by jor-el View Post

Was he arrested for? BEING a retired LEO?
                              Having handguns w/o NJ paperwork
                              Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Working...
                              X