Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding a pistol to my license in another Upstate county.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a pistol to my license in another Upstate county.

My Uncle recently passed away, he had left my cousins and I some pistols and I have my pick on one of them. My question is can I have the local PD/Sheriff add the pistol to my license or do I have to have it shipped to a local FFL and do the Yaphank Shuffle? Thanks

Sorry for your loss.
    Pretty sure it has to go through Yaphank and via a FFL.
    I don't have the manual in front of me to confirm, so I'd probably call the PLB to be sure.
    NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R | NSCA | NYSRPA

Comment

sorry for your loss yup ffl to ffl for the shuffle

Comment

Being an "upstate" guy I will tell you how I do it. I go pick out my next purchase and fill out a form that has make, model and serial number listed. They take my $5.00 and send the paperwork off to my assigned judge. I receive the purchase doc and a new card with the gun add back in the mail.

They are a lot more relaxed and have some faith in their fellow gun owners.

Sorry for your loss!
        Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Comment

BTW, the Sheriff/Local PD has taken possession of the pistols, The LEO told my cousin that I would be able to have it put on my license up there, would I still have to go through the FFL and the Yaphank Shuffle?

Comment

Pay the upstate FFL for the gun, have them mail you a receipt. Sometimes Suffolk doesn't like printed emails. Then go to Yaphank and get a purchase order, drive upstate to pick it up then take it back to Yaphank in the assigned time period. Or have the upstate FFL ship the gun to a local FFL.

Only the county that issued your license can add guns to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowTime View Post
              Only the county that issued your license can add guns to it.
              This ^^^ is what I think we were all trying to verbalize.
              NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R | NSCA | NYSRPA

Comment

Thanks,

Comment

I'm in the middle of a similar situation, except that the state police in cobleskill have possession of the guns. I haven't figured out how they are going to get down here yet.

State police suggested going to Yaphank to have the guns added to license, then just drive upstate and pick them up. Yaphank, of course, said that's not possible.

Trying now to figure out if state police can ship directly to local ffl or if they need to bring guns to an upstate ffl to have them shipped down here. Jerry is willing to help me out on this end. But an unknown upstate ffl, chosen by the state police, would have me over a barrel. They could charge as much as they want, per gun, for the transfer and I'd have no choice but to pay. (these are not valuable guns. Sentimental value only)

If you figure this out please keep us updated. I'll do the same if I get my situation worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by brirodg View Post
                    I'm in the middle of a similar situation, except that the state police in cobleskill have possession of the guns. I haven't figured out how they are going to get down here yet.

State police suggested going to Yaphank to have the guns added to license, then just drive upstate and pick them up. Yaphank, of course, said that's not possible.

Trying now to figure out if state police can ship directly to local ffl or if they need to bring guns to an upstate ffl to have them shipped down here. Jerry is willing to help me out on this end. But an unknown upstate ffl, chosen by the state police, would have me over a barrel. They could charge as much as they want, per gun, for the transfer and I'd have no choice but to pay. (these are not valuable guns. Sentimental value only)

If you figure this out please keep us updated. I'll do the same if I get my situation worked out.
                    Will Do.

Comment

Give PLB a call and ask. I'm sure they would be happy to answer your question.
                      “The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
                      Alexander Hamilton

Comment

Originally posted by brirodg View Post

State Police cannot give you guns without a 4473 and background check. They can only return firearms you already owned. An FFL can receive firearms from a Police Dept, so see if they are willing to ship direct to Jerry's.

Comment

Working...
                        X