Frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated

So, finally decide to submit my app for the Suffolk pistol permit. I thought I had the 4 necessary reference ready to go but it looks like that is not the case. Once I explained them the process a few were very hesitant since they would have actually put in some work, taking day off, getting notarized. So now I’m back to square one. Don’t know many other people that I would be confident asking. Regardless of this, how is this even legal. Since when do we have to ask permission from our friend and neighbors to own a pistol. I though Heller vs DC made it clear that owing a handgun for self protection is protected by the 2nd. I am surprised that the character reference piece of the application process was never challenged in court. I agree that the Sullivan Act has to go, but overturning the whole Act is currently impossible, but I think challenging certain parts of it, like the reference piece would be the way to go. Sorry for the rant, just had to get it out.

Take a day off to get something notarized? Every bank does it for free for their customers, and banks are open before people go to work and has late nights as well. Not to mention many companies have a notary in the office. If you dont have anyone in your life willing to get something notarized to help you, I feel bad for you.

Comment

Welcome to NY.

Getting something notarized is not a big deal. Sounds like they aren’t comfortable signing for you. Wait for some of our meet ups to resume and make some new friends.

Comment

I believe it's just signing at first. Once you meet with the IO, he or she will determine which two will need to complete an affidavit and get it notarized.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post
          I believe it's just signing at first. Once you meet with the IO, he or she will determine which two will need to complete an affidavit and get it notarized.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
          You are correct. My IO had me pick the 2 myself though. Not sure if that varies from IO to IO. It was no problem for me since I’ve had the same group of friends some going all the way back to preschool though so it wasn’t a problem. I understand that’s rather rare though. Like others have said to OP, there are plenty of options for notarizing and it takes about 5 minutes so need for any kind of day off.

Comment

Originally posted by Organix View Post
            So, finally decide to submit my app for the Suffolk pistol permit. I thought I had the 4 necessary reference ready to go but it looks like that is not the case. Once I explained them the process a few were very hesitant since they would have actually put in some work, taking day off, getting notarized. So now I’m back to square one. Don’t know many other people that I would be confident asking. Regardless of this, how is this even legal. Since when do we have to ask permission from our friend and neighbors to own a pistol. I though Heller vs DC made it clear that owing a handgun for self protection is protected by the 2nd. I am surprised that the character reference piece of the application process was never challenged in court. I agree that the Sullivan Act has to go, but overturning the whole Act is currently impossible, but I think challenging certain parts of it, like the reference piece would be the way to go. Sorry for the rant, just had to get it out.
            I had these filled out and notarized by the time i was called in for the interview. (SCPD usually only makes you get 2 of the four submit the character witness affidavids) and was good to. Make sure they are people you know that will go the bat for you on this

Comment

Originally posted by SemiAutoFetish View Post

I had these filled out and notarized by the time i was called in for the interview. (SCPD usually only makes you get 2 of the four submit the character witness affidavids) and was good to. Make sure they are people you know that will go the bat for you on this
              Where did you get the forms? Are they online? I was given them by my IO, which means I didn't think I could have gotten them beforehand.

Comment

You are absolutely correct, the references requirement is a blatant Constitutional violation. I don't recall any mention of requiring four people, who cannot be family members and have to live in Suffolk County mind you, having to vouch for your character, sign affidavits and be interrogated in a state which openly vilifies gun owners anywhere in the 2nd Amendment. If someone just moved here, NY State is literally saying you have no right to own a handgun until you make good enough friends willing to undergo a police interview. Then you get to wait a year or two for them to actually process your license. It's absolutely insane this hasn't been challenged and defeated in court.

Oh, and if one single random person decides they don't like you, they can Red Flag your ass with zero evidence, have a SWAT team confiscate every firearm you own, and have you stripped of those 2A rights with ZERO due process.

Comment

I hate the sinkhole.
                  Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Substitute some of these requirements for filling out voter registration. See! Some rights ARE better than others.

Dude, there are at least two dozen members here who are notaries. Make a post and ask if any are located near your reference and would be willing to meet him to sign. (If any of your references are gun owners and aren't cooperating, they are either douche bags, or don't like you. It takes 15 minutes to get something notarized.)
                    Last edited by Grifhunter; 08-23-2020, 12:31 PM.
                    Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

Where did you get the forms? Are they online? I was given them by my IO, which means I didn't think I could have gotten them beforehand.
                      Yup, here they are:

https://suffolkpd.org/FormsandReports.aspx

download the character reference affidavit form and have them fill out/ notarized

Comment

Originally posted by NG9588 View Post

You are correct. My IO had me pick the 2 myself though. Not sure if that varies from IO to IO. It was no problem for me since I’ve had the same group of friends some going all the way back to preschool though so it wasn’t a problem. I understand that’s rather rare though. Like others have said to OP, there are plenty of options for notarizing and it takes about 5 minutes so need for any kind of day off.
                        Ditto for me. I picked the two who could most easily get something notorized.

Comment

Update. Got my references sorted out and submitted the application today. However, something got me worried, in the instructions it states that the character references Must sign the questionnaire in the appropriate area. I looked though the application and don’t see anywhere the references need to sign. Am I missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by Organix View Post
                            Update. Got my references sorted out and submitted the application today. However, something got me worried, in the instructions it states that the character references Must sign the questionnaire in the appropriate area. I looked though the application and don’t see anywhere the references need to sign. Am I missing something here?
                            They don’t sign the initial application anymore, just the state application which you will get at your interview.

Comment

Originally posted by NG9588 View Post

They don’t sign the initial application anymore, just the state application which you will get at your interview.
                              Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X