No announcement yet.

Frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it make sense to fill out the NYS application now ( I can get a copy online), get all my references to sign the app and have them complete the character questionnaire and notarize. Do this and hold on the paperwork until I am called for the interview. This way I can have everything ready to go. I know that I am probably 6+ months out for the interview, will they have issue with the dates on the notarization paperwork as at that point it might be 6 months or older.

Comment

Originally posted by Organix View Post
      Does it make sense to fill out the NYS application now ( I can get a copy online), get all my references to sign the app and have them complete the character questionnaire and notarize. Do this and hold on the paperwork until I am called for the interview. This way I can have everything ready to go. I know that I am probably 6+ months out for the interview, will they have issue with the dates on the notarization paperwork as at that point it might be 6 months or older.
      I would just wait until they give it to you at the interview. I had it back to him the next day.

Comment

I submitted notarized affidavits from all 4 references with the application. At that time they had to sign the Suffolk County questionnaire and NYS application completed at the interview.
        I pre filled out the affidavits for the references and answered "don't know" or "not that I am aware of" to at least one question. Has the applicant ever.....? How would they know if I didn't tell them.

This way there are no surprises down the line if a reference changes their mind or moved or whatever.

I used coworkers for references. We had a notary in the office.

YMMV
        ANY violation by ANY person of ANY provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor. - NYPL §400.00(15)
        Conspiracy in the sixth degree is a class B misdemeanor. - NYPL §105.00

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I am just worried that they will have an issue with the dates. Lets say, I get my references to complete the affidavits next month, they get it notarized with a Sept date, I get called for the interview Dec/Jan, and they say the notarization cant have a date that is more, lets say, 2 months. Not sure if they would say this, but just throwing it out there, I dont know if there is a law that states how old notarized affidavits can be. I figure, if i start getting everything together now, complete the NYS App, come December, I wont have to worry about tracking my references down since most people will be busy with the holiday season anyway. Then again, if i do this now, I don't want to have to redo everything again.

Comment

Originally posted by Organix View Post
            Thanks for the feedback. I am just worried that they will have an issue with the dates. Lets say, I get my references to complete the affidavits next month, they get it notarized with a Sept date, I get called for the interview Dec/Jan, and they say the notarization cant have a date that is more, lets say, 2 months. Not sure if they would say this, but just throwing it out there, I dont know if there is a law that states how old notarized affidavits can be. I figure, if i start getting everything together now, complete the NYS App, come December, I wont have to worry about tracking my references down since most people will be busy with the holiday season anyway. Then again, if i do this now, I don't want to have to redo everything again.
            I submitted Notarized Character reference affidavits in March 20' with my suffolk application. My interview was August 20'. The PO had no issue with my +/- 5 month old Notarized dates. He didn't have them in my file at first, but I mentioned that I had all 4 submit them and he went and found them, they were filed somewhere because it took him less than a minute to get them.

Comment

Here is my timeline so far for anyone wondering. I submitted my initial application to SCPD at the beginning of April this year. This past Wednesday was my fingerprinting interview. Today I dropped of the two notarized witness forms with the NYS form all signed and notarized. At the interview the go over the application you submitted initially and print you a NYS application filled out with your mugshot and prints on it. That for gets signed by your 4 witnesses. I’d say you can do the character witness sheets before but they have you sign the state for there and is witnessed and signed by an officer then. The process so far is 4 1/2 months for me. Now I’ve seen on here it’s a 6 month wait from here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy View Post
                Here is my timeline so far for anyone wondering. I submitted my initial application to SCPD at the beginning of April this year. This past Wednesday was my fingerprinting interview. Today I dropped of the two notarized witness forms with the NYS form all signed and notarized. At the interview the go over the application you submitted initially and print you a NYS application filled out with your mugshot and prints on it. That for gets signed by your 4 witnesses. I’d say you can do the character witness sheets before but they have you sign the state for there and is witnessed and signed by an officer then. The process so far is 4 1/2 months for me. Now I’ve seen on here it’s a 6 month wait from here.
                That’s not a terrible wait. (There should be no wait or permit at all for that matter but that’s another discussion). Mine was 1 year from app to interview. 6 months after the interview almost to the day I got my permit.

Comment

submitted all paper work including 4 character references 12/19
                  interviewed and fingerprinted 6/20
                  called my mother 7/20
                  now more waiting (and checking the mailbox )

Comment

Originally posted by NG9588 View Post

They don’t sign the initial application anymore, just the state application which you will get at your interview.
                    Yeah, first you get the application to see if you make it to round two, where you get the REAL application
                    Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Originally posted by advise429 View Post
                      submitted all paper work including 4 character references 12/19
                      interviewed and fingerprinted 6/20
                      called my mother 7/20
                      now more waiting (and checking the mailbox )
                      Mine came about 5 weeks after he spoke to one of my parents. I’m surprised you haven’t gotten it yet.

Comment

Mine came about 5 weeks after he spoke to one of my parents. I’m surprised you haven’t gotten it yet.
                        They actually asked for a Notarized affidavit from one of my parents stating that they were okay with me owning pistols. Is it a possibility that they were/are trying to speed things up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jdsmith96 View Post

They actually asked for a Notarized affidavit from one of my parents stating that they were okay with me owning pistols. Is it a possibility that they were/are trying to speed things up?
                          I’m not sure. He had called me to clear something else up about a family member who no longer lived with me. He said the last thing he needed was a notarized affidavit from one of my parents. I told him I actually have them here right now I can just put one on the phone if that works. That was good enough for him but it might be different for each IO. This was back in December pre-covid. I got the feeling that my IO was a pretty laid back pro-2a guy throughout the process so that might’ve played a factor.

Comment

I’m not sure. He had called me to clear something else up about a family member who no longer lived with me. He said the last thing he needed was a notarized affidavit from one of my parents. I told him I actually have them here right now I can just put one on the phone if that works. That was good enough for him but it might be different for each IO. This was back in December pre-covid. I got the feeling that my IO was a pretty laid back pro-2a guy throughout the process so that might’ve played a factor.
                            Two of my buddies were in a similar situation but their IO directly called their fathers and asked, permit showed up almost a month exactly after that phone call. Granted this was One and Two years ago.

Just regretting waiting so many extra years to apply...

Comment

Good news was in the mail box today !!

Comment

Originally posted by advise429 View Post
                                Good news was in the mail box today !!
                                About 3 months to the day from your interview. I feel like hoping for a similar turnaround is foolish in the current climate

Comment

Working...
                                X