Long Island pistol permits increase in number from west to east, data shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Island pistol permits increase in number from west to east, data shows

Data from the Nassau and Suffolk County law enforcement agencies in January show that concentrations of pistol permits issued on Long Island grow steadily from the west to the east. The ratio of pistol permits per 100 people increases from about 1 in western Nassau — Great Neck has 0.96 on average — to up to 5, such as Mattituck with an average of 5.22 permits per 100 residents. In New York State, a valid pistol permit is required to purchase any type of handgun.

It is less costly to purchase permits in Suffolk County, which may be a factor in why more are sold there. Suffolk charges $10 for a five-year pistol license, and the renewal fee every five years is $10, compared to $200 to purchase or obtain a five-year renewal in Nassau County, according to each county’s pistol license bureaus. Suffolk County also has two licensing authorities: the Suffolk County Police Department and the Sheriff’s Department. Suffolk’s fee is the highest amount allowed by the New York Penal Code, from which Nassau is exempt. Detective Vincent Garcia said Nassau’s fees are determined by the legislature and based on the number of manpower hours involved in conducting background checks Link to article: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/l...ast-1.12134491

Nassau County= money hungry bastards, that even with all of their rip-off fees on EVERYTHING, is still a bunch of broke-assed bums!! Everywhere else can do this for 10% of what they charge, AND do it faster!!

Comment

The $200 every 5 years is just to discourage ownership. And make the ones that are really into firearms leave to Suffolk or the state haha. I did not for several years care to get the license due to the fees. But changed my mind when I started going to the range nights and saw everyone's fun stuff.

what will always bug me is how my friends upstate can come down here and carry unrestricted in Nassau and Suffolk but we can't when we go upstate. But I am always on my property or on my way to hunt or to the range when I am up there anyway lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gopedxr7 View Post
        The $200 every 5 years is just to discourage ownership. And make the ones that are really into firearms leave to Suffolk or the state haha. I did not for several years care to get the license due to the fees. But changed my mind when I started going to the range nights and saw everyone's fun stuff.

what will always bug me is how my friends upstate can come down here and carry unrestricted in Nassau and Suffolk but we can't when we go upstate. But I am always on my property or on my way to hunt or to the range when I am up there anyway lol
        you are 100 percent correct. a licensed can be granted in a few days if they wanted to
        let's make america great again

Comment

Suffolk is way more than $10 to get. Think it was $93 + fingerprint fee + 5 for every purchase document
          The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post
            Suffolk is way more than $10 to get. Think it was $93 + fingerprint fee + 5 for every purchase document
            Yeah.....um......Nassau is $200 + $93 fingerprints + $10 every license amendment (adding or removing). I'll take Suffolk fees any day.

Comment

The Sullivan Act has to go.

Paul

Comment

Nassau has less permits because it's more liberal.

Comment

I kinda doubt both Pistol Sections supplied them with license figures broken down by town within each county. Sumpn' doesn't smell right.

Comment

Originally posted by Havfun View Post

you are 100 percent correct. a licensed can be granted in a few days if they wanted to
                    Like I said, when it comes to a reason to suspend your license, it is done instantaneously, It does not take a year for them to,acquire that info.

Comment

I think that in general, the further you get from NYC in any direction, the amount of permits will increase (not too sure about NJ).
                      “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
                      Algernon Blackwood

Comment

Working...
                      X