FYI: Suffolk Pistol License Caliber Conversion Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeterGunn View Post

Not true. You can add a black powder pistol without any FFL paperwork. And you can add a conversion kit or a different caliber barrel.

I brought a Sig in .40 Cal and asked if they could list it as a multi cal as I had ordered a .357 Sig barrel. They said "NO". The proper way is to list the gun and serial number twice, each with different calibers. This is the proper way to do things. However, come renewal time and they send you a listing and say you have X amount of guns, you need to remember that 1 frame is listed twice or you'll go crazy trying to find another gun. Well, at least I did. Also, if you ever sell that gun, make sure you remove both listings from the license.
    I agree. Based on the handbook all I need is a receipt. Me and seller typed up one. According to the 2 guys today not good enough, so now I’m stuck. I should’ve left well enough alone and not even bothered, but this is what I get for trying to do everything above board. If someone from another state read this thread their head would probably explode.

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post

I have witnessed licenses being suspended due to comments being made during friendly banter about going through an undisclosed divorce and about being prescribed meds. When dealing with them, it is a name, rank and serial number situation.
      This is absolutely correct.

When dealing with ANY cops, it's a name, rank, and serial number situation. Tell them the minimum you can in order to comply with lawful directives. That's it.

Never invite the government into your life.

Comment

What crime is committed by possession of a conversion kit?
        Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post
          No crime. That does not mean it won’t cause him issues with his pistol license.

Comment

Nassau county put the gun on your permit then lists added calibers below it, my Bond Arms derringer has the original 9mm, plus 45LC,22lr,357 etc by
            stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

You can be guilty of no crime at all but be in violation of administrative procedure and lose your license. Ain’t it fun?

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post
                You can be guilty of no crime at all but be in violation of administrative procedure and lose your license. Ain’t it fun?
                Since when in the USA can you have a civil right taken away over a non criminal omission? Just asking.

The vulnerability with the New York licensing scheme is it ties firearm ownership in the home to a license instead of only concealed carry.
                The justification for taking firearm possession (a civil right) away requires much more than a mere administrative omission by the citizen. I do recognize you have to spend some coin on an attorney to enforce your civil right. The licensing people will eventually have to come to a reckoning of their limited authority to total dispossession of pistols post Heller.
                Last edited by Grifhunter; 03-06-2021, 12:14 PM.
                Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Since when in the USA can you have a civil right taken away over a non criminal omission? Just asking.

The vulnerability with the New York licensing scheme is it ties firearm ownership in the home to a license instead of only concealed carry.
                  The justification for taking firearm possession (a civil right) away requires much more than a mere administrative omission by the citizen. I do recognize you have to spend some coin on an attorney to enforce your civil right. The licensing people will eventually have to come to a reckoning of their limited authority to total dispossession of pistols post Heller.
                  Yeah all fine and dandy. Unfortunately many of us don’t have unlimited resources to fight a case we can avoid.

Comment

Has anyone actually checked the handbook to see if there is guidance for caliber conversion kits?
                    Life Member: ASA, GOA, NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
                      Has anyone actually checked the handbook to see if there is guidance for caliber conversion kits?
                      I did check it and it just says bill of sale or receipt. Literally says an FFL is not required.

Comment

A right delayed is a right denied.

Since there is a difference between theory and practice, the licensing officers in Nassau and Suffolk are not elected by the people, the lower courts have upheld the licensing officers have broad discretion, and the Supreme court keeps punting.

From Bando vs. Sullivan:
                        It is well settled that respondent has broad discretion as a licensing officer to determine whether "proper cause" exists to issue a carry-concealed pistol license (Penal Law § 400.00[f]) and may deny, revoke or limit a pistol license for any "good cause" (see,Matter of Boyark v. Czajka, 248 A.D.2d 772; Matter of Eddy v. Kirk, 195 A.D.2d 1009, 1010, affd 83 N.Y.2d 919; Matter of Anderson v. Mogavero, 116 A.D.2d 885; see also, Penal Law § 400.00[g]), a determination that will not be disturbed unless it is arbitrary and capricious (see, Matter of Eddy v. Kirk, supra, at 1010-1011; see also, Matter of O'Brien v. Keegan, 87 N.Y.2d 436, 440;Matter of King v. Ingraham, 113 A.D.2d 977; Matter of Davis v. Clyne, 58 A.D.2d 947, lv denied 44 N.Y.2d 646).
                        The burden was on petitioner to establish the requisite "proper cause" for the issuance of a "full-carry" permit under Penal Law § 400.00(2)(f) (see, Matter of Eddy v. Kirk, supra, at 1011; see also, Matter of O'Connor v. Scarpino, 83 N.Y.2d 919, 921; Matter of Bernstein v. Police Dept. of City of N.Y., 85 A.D.2d 574) and "[respondent's] power to determine the existence of `proper cause' for the issuance [of a license] necessarily and inherently includes the power to restrict the use of a license to the purposes that justified the issuance" (Matter of O'Connor v. Scarpino, supra, at 921;see, Matter of O'Brien v. Keegan, supra, at 439).
                        Last edited by incognito; 03-07-2021, 01:25 AM.
                        ANY violation by ANY person of ANY provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor. - NYPL §400.00(15)
                        Conspiracy in the sixth degree is a class B misdemeanor. - NYPL §105.00

Comment

Last month I was at a LGS out of state, I was eyeing a barrel for my contender. I was tossing around buying it but then thought how do I go about adding this to lisc. I looked at card all the barrels are to same frame SN, I passed .it was a Sun so calling was a no go. After reading this what are you supposed to do tell a free state ffl to send it to commie state ffl ,they would look at you and say why in the hell do you still live there.

Comment

My plan is to call this week and see if they will accept a notarized bill of sale from me and the seller. In the handbook it explicitly says no FFL required and I doubt I’m gonna be able to find one willing to do this. I will report back.

Comment

Originally posted by NG9588 View Post
                              My plan is to call this week and see if they will accept a notarized bill of sale from me and the seller. In the handbook it explicitly says no FFL required and I doubt I’m gonna be able to find one willing to do this. I will report back.
                              When you call, I would start by asking if there is an update handbook that you have. When they say no and ask why, quote the handbook as it relates to the addition of a different caliber to an existing pistol on your license. When they realize their error, tell them you are coming down to add it to your license and politely ask for the name of the person you were speaking to. If that doesn’t work, I don’t know what will. Maybe ask to speak to a supervisor?

Comment

Originally posted by NG9588 View Post
                                Can you post the actual text from the handbook regarding registering multiple calibers for a single receiver? I couldn't find anything listed online.
                                Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
                                Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

• incognito
                                  incognito commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Page 15
                                  New York State Penal Law Section 400.00 (7) states any license issued pursuant to that section shall contain the caliber, make, model, manufacturer‟s name, and serial number of all firearms possessed on authority of same. As such, any and all conversion kits, conversion barrels or other caliber conversion devices must be listed on your pistol license. Purchase of said conversion devices does not require a Dealer in Firearms as an intermediary and, as such, does not require a purchase document. They must, however, be presented in person to the Pistol Licensing Bureau within twenty (20) days of purchase with a bill of sale and a $5.00 check or money order per device. Additionally, the pistol for which the device is being purchased must be presented, unloaded, at the time of the registration of the conversion device. Should the licensee decide to sell a conversion device listed on his/her license, a bill of sale indicating same must be provided, in person, with a $5.00 check or money order within twenty (20) days of occurrence
                              Working...
                              X