No announcement yet.

Covid 19 Immunization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my wife works at the VA In Northport and was forced to receive it. She was sick for several days after with flu-like symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post
      What science is there to support a slow rollout to vaccinate "at risk" people first and the general population later? It sounds smart but in my ignorant opinion, just getting the vaccine in arms as fast as possible regardless of occupation or status will reduce transmission rates.

Granny sitting in a nursing home bed isn't a transmitter of Covid. The deli clerk at the bodega will tag hundreds with the virus until he burns off his infection. The average schmuck is the one spreading it. Stopping spreaders is the fastest way out, not gerrymandering favored politically correct groups. Every single day the vaccine stores should be depleted down to zero. And the idea that vaccines are expiring because we can't get them out fast enough? Criminal.
      Follow the science!
      Political science that is
      "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

As I said earlier, do what you feel is best for you but this is only a false sense of security and money maker for some. The "experts" still don't know everything there is to know about covid. This vaccine was developed way to fast for me. And make no mistake, I wouldn't get the vaccine even if it were approved by the FDA. I trust that govt agency less than the atf...

Comment

Originally posted by bberetta1 View Post

There is a window. If you miss it, you need to start the shots over.
          I was reading some locations, I think the uk was one are stretching the 2nd dose out longer than recommended to get more people the first shot.

Comment

I have 2 friends that are physicians.
            They both have gotten the vaccine. 1 got both shots the other just the first.
            They seem to not be concerned about it and they are not the kind that trusts the gubment to know what's best for them.
            They both have risk factors and feel the risk of the vaccine is less than the risk from the Chinese virus.

I have concerns about the vaccine and I had no plans to get it early.
            Not that it matters since I am not an essential worker. Nor an Educator, a convict or politician.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by 100MPG View Post
              I heard on 880 they are going to use SHEA stadium as a vaccination location.
              For Conservatives only. Very strange that there seems to be a large National Guard presence and a lot of chain link and barbed wire over there now. Just kidding... or am I?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

What happens if your wife has to wait more than 4 weeks for the second shot? Is there some wiggle room in this plan or does she have to start from scratch?
                no straight answer. the county got back to her on the phone this morning and acknowledged the issue, said that the people getting the first shot would get from 2 days to 2 weeks notice about making an appointment for the second. we shall see. I OTOH will probably just wait a month before even trying to get an appointment for the first shot. in the meantime I will update my "in addition to my will" file so she knows not to be taken selling all my big boy toys when I croak.

Comment

Originally posted by oshwan View Post

I was reading some locations, I think the uk was one are stretching the 2nd dose out longer than recommended to get more people the first shot.
                  from what I recall reading a month or two ago that could make both shots less effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
                    “just getting the vaccine in arms as fast as possible regardless of occupation or status will reduce transmission rates”

Agree completely. The amount of time, resources, added confusion, political posturing (unions want to be vac heroes now), distribution logistics, storage, security and fraud involved in the cherry picking negates any perceived benefit.
                    They claim to have or are soon to have 200+ million doses ready to inject...so inject it. For everyone willing to take the shot, line em up and give them the vaccine.
                    More efficient than and more effective.

Of course this vaccine is in many ways like a big, fat Bill working through Congress. We really don’t know what’s in it until it is released on us.
                    But that would mean that the politicians give up control of who gets something. They absolutely LOVE having control and abhor giving any of it up

Comment

Originally posted by raceradam View Post

For Conservatives only. Very strange that there seems to be a large National Guard presence and a lot of chain link and barbed wire over there now. Just kidding... or am I?
                      Good thing you got that helmut huh? Or did you?

Comment

Originally posted by raceradam View Post

Mets fans have been imprisoned for more than 20 years so...
                        "Except the Lord build they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our little partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall God governs in the affairs of men. I have lived, Sir, a long time..."
                        Ben Franklin, arguably our least faith driven founding father

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post
                          What science is there to support a slow rollout to vaccinate "at risk" people first and the general population later? It sounds smart but in my ignorant opinion, just getting the vaccine in arms as fast as possible regardless of occupation or status will reduce transmission rates.

Granny sitting in a nursing home bed isn't a transmitter of Covid. The deli clerk at the bodega will tag hundreds with the virus until he burns off his infection. The average schmuck is the one spreading it. Stopping spreaders is the fastest way out, not gerrymandering favored politically correct groups. Every single day the vaccine stores should be depleted down to zero. And the idea that vaccines are expiring because we can't get them out fast enough? Criminal.
                          I’m hearing conflicting info on transmission regarding the vaccine. A bunch of sources including the CDC are saying the vaccine MAY reduce transmission. It’s primary function is to reduce symptoms. That means masks etc are here to stay.

if this is true the vaccine in one person does nothing to protect the next person. Kinda like a seatbelt on a drunk driver.
                          Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

I got this on my fishing website from a retired virologist:

OK, here we go, Vaccines 101. Fair warning, there's going to be a lot of stuff here you don't want to hear, sorry. Go ahead shoot the messenger if you'd like. I hope I transcribed this in a legible manner. It's all second nature to folk like me, and I hope I've made the key points understandable.

Some Basic Facts regarding vaccines, COVID and Herd Immunity. If you want more info, PM me with your questions, but please understand the fact that the basics of stopping the spread of airborne infectious agents like flu and COVID-19, vaccines not withstanding, dictate hygiene, masks and social distancing. These items aren't going away anytime soon and the info below should help explain why.
                            • These vaccines, like most, are NOT a body shield that stops the virus from entering your body, that's something that masks, social distancing, hygiene and staying away from crowds do. Long before SARS and COVID-19, Asians have felt the need to mask whenever they were feeling ill and had to go out in public as a requirement of being a responsible citizen. All of us in the West can learn from that example.
                            • Now what exactly is meant by "infection."
                              • Some will argue that inhaling a single COVID-19 virus constitutes an infection. Others will argue that you're not "infected" until you are "infectious", passing virus along to others. Yet others will argue you're not "infected" until you symptomatic. This is a semantics game that epidemiologists debate over beer.
                              • Part of the problem here is the exquisite sensitivity of the diagnostic PCR test and how many cycles you run the test for. If there is a single chunk of viral RNA on a test swab and the test is run for 20 cycles (bare minimum) that single sequence will be multiplied into 524,288 (2 to the 19th power). Run it for 30 cycles and it will be 537 million sequences, and if you run the "high sensitivity" 40 cycle test it's 550 BILLION sequences. PCR a biochemist's tool for finding a needle in a haystack. If it's here, we'll find it.
                              • Obviously the more virus you breathe in, the more likely you'll be getting sick and the more sick if you have more virus. Once inside you what happens? Well the virus does what it has evolved to do, tries to find the proper host cell and get inside by using it's spike proteins to bind to a protein on the host cell wall. Once inside it sticks its genetic code into the cell's and commandeers the cell to make more virus and once they're ready to leave the cell, the cell is broken open and virus spills out to infect other cells. If your immune system gets overwhelmed, you die.
                            • So what happens in a vaccinated person?
                              • A vaccinated person has an immune system preprogrammed to fight off a COVID infection, including an array of antibodies to COVID. Hopefully a vaccinated person's immune system is now strong enough to fight off an infection before that person even feels sick. As soon as the body detects the COVID-19 virus, these antibodies, along with myriad of other immune responses will be mounted to fight off the infection. The vaccines make this process go more quickly because the body has already programmed the immune cells to stand watch for this invasion and the antibodies are already prepared, BUT you will be having an infection and will probably have some viral replication going on so vaccinated or not, you will be shedding virus and you WILL BE INFECTIOUS!
                              • 5 out of every 100 vaccinated will get COVID-19 and get sick, and they will certainly be very infectious to others, this is the easy one.
                              • What about the 95 folks who didn't get sick? Well remember the old term "Asymptomatic Transmission"? It's going to raise it's head again because there will be asymptomatic transmission of COVID from vaccinated folks who can keep their infection to down to asymptomatic levels. Now how many of the 95 will be doing this, we just don't know at this time so EVERYONE, vaccinated or not, needs to wear a mask until the pandemic runs its course.
                            • And now the good news, at this point it appears that the chances of a vaccinated person getting so sick that they will need critical care is ZERO, so COVID is no longer a potential death sentence for those vaccinated. The vaccine is not a "NFW I'll get COVID so I don't have to worry about masks, social distancing, etc." Card, but more of a "Stay out of the Hospital" Card.
                            • What about Herd Immunity, how does this stop the virus? Once at least 70% of all folks, 80% or more is better, have been vaccinated virus escaping from an infectious person starts having a hard time to find hosts that will get sick enough to pass the virus along. So the virus has run its course. Until we achieve Herd Immunity so the virus burns itself out, it should continue to be masks and social distancing at a minimum when out in public. Being vaccinated will give folks the ease of mind in knowing that they won't end up in an ICU staring at the Grim Reaper with none of their loved ones to comfort them in their final moments.

Unfortunately my fellow mod did not address the one shot vs. two shot much in the above. My guess is that the politicians running the show (read "running" as ruining) will follow Shotgun Joe's plan to just give the first round to as many as want it and hope for the best. that is what the UK seems to be doing and a recent report from Israel says that mass vaccinations of just the first shot seems to have already slowed the infection rate. Regardless, I am not going to be phoning, emailing and searching the web in a panic trying to get vaccinated. My hobbies and activities are mainly solitary and except for grocery shopping can truly say I have been in a semi-quarantine since last March.

Comment

Working...
                            X