Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a Predator/Honda 2k generator in their RV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a Predator/Honda 2k generator in their RV?

Im shopping for a horse trailer with living quarters(RV and horse trailer combined), and looking at generator options. To have a 4k Onan included with the trailer is up to $10k extra. Just having the trailer pre-wired and prepped for a generator can be $2k alone. I know you can run a pair of Predator/Honda 2k generators with a Parallel kit. Am I wrong in figuring I can run 1 generator for the fridge and ligths, and the second when I plan to run the a/c and such? Also, biggest concern is gas, is it easy to set up a bigger tank to feed them so they dont have to be refilled every 6 hours?

Not really an answer to your question rv-wise but my father has a 2k honda that is super quiet and smooth as silk. He's had it 10 yrs or so, and it's been rebuilt once after a flood (upstate). Still runs like a champ.. My brother in law has a similar sized yamaha that's just as nice, he uses it trailer camping. I've got the "new house budget" duramax lol.

Ryan

Comment

I have the Honda EU2000i that I use on my boat, you can buy a remote tank setup for it or make your own, lots of websites and YouTube vids for that:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FRCHswod7mUOgA

BTW the AC on my boat is about 7500 BTUs (6 amps running?) and the Honda can handle it but there is a startup surge when the compressor kicks in...dont want to use it in ECO mode for that
      tank.jpg
      Last edited by joeydiver; 01-09-2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Going with 2 Honda(forget that predator) EU2000's, isn't a bad idea from a redundancy point of view. This way if one craps out(highly unlikely), you still have something to survive on. Or just go with 1 EU3000i, and call it a day. The remote tank option is the way to go, as joeydiver posted. I also have ghe EU2000i, which I bought used, and absolutely love it. The only issue I have with it, is when it's really cold out(hunting season), it will give me false low oil shutoff condition when first starting it up. I am assuming that it's because of the oil being stiff at the low temps. If it wasn't for the surge current on most rv ac units, 1 EU2000 would do it. The honda is worth every single penny imo.

Comment

I had the eu3k mounted to the back of my old trailer great geny super quite only thing was I got a vibration in the floor from it I probably could have isolated it more but it wasnt that bad just something you may consider when mounting it, also you can run the fridge on propane so no worries about running the fridge/ac at the same time. My slide on came w/onan on board its definitely louder but I dont run it to much just something else to consider the eu is super quite and supposed to run electronics better because of the sine wave thing

Comment

What is a Predator/Honda? I never heard of that. Their only 2kW generator I'm aware of is the EU2000i and companion unit.

I have one and it is so fuckin' boss, you should get one even if you don't need a generator. They are pricey. About 4 to 10 times the $s per watt of most other generators but absolutely worth it.

Believe it or not, the John Deere place on OCR in Hicksville has then for pretty fair prices. But you'll never see deep discounts on them. Honda keeps very tight control on the prices.
            No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post
              What is a Predator/Honda? I never heard of that. Their only 2kW generator I'm aware of is the EU2000i and companion unit.

I have one and it is so fuckin' boss, you should get one even if you don't need a generator. They are pricey. About 4 to 10 times the $s per watt of most other generators but absolutely worth it.

Believe it or not, the John Deere place on OCR in Hicksville has then for pretty fair prices. But you'll never see deep discounts on them. Honda keeps very tight control on the prices.
              Harbor Freight has a clone that gets amazing reviews, for half the price. Almost every place I would use the LQ has hookups, so I cant justify the 5-10k added cost of having an Onan Genny pre-installed. This is why I am looking at other options. You can order trailers with options ranging from nothing to pre-wired to vented genny compartments, to full blown industrial level genny systems.

Comment

I've seen people using the HF generators. Even the little dinky 2 cycle ones. Work good, quiet.

My only question/issue is - who services them locally if needed?
                I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Working...
                X