Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping Question - this one is legit

Nope this is not a joke.

Every year I go car camping with college friends to drink beer and eat way too much food. Our usual campsite, Lake Durant, is redoing the plumbing and notified us that there won't be working shitters when we are supposed to be there. One of friends doesn't like the idea of shitting in the woods, so we're thinking of going somewhere else. We sleep in tents and have plenty of gear.

We've always talked about doing a different type of trip without all the booze and pigging out. We go for 5 days, 4 nights. Are there any camping trips or sites that are 6-7 hours from NYC that would be different than sitting in front of a fire and drinking beer? Maybe in Vermont or NH? Or maybe it would be a drinking trip but in a different than the Adirondacks? I don't think a full on backpacking trip would work.

any ideas?

Comment

Go camping and white water rafting. Delaware water gap, Maine, upstate there are plenty of places.
      Ben

Comment

I have plenty of suggestions but they are not 6-7 hours away from NYC. Is there a reason why you do not want to camp closer? Do you want to do anything in addition to staying at the camp?

Comment

I can easily go a week.

No shit.
          To be human is to be armed.

Comment

• Craig23
            Craig23 commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds horrible. I'm almost twice a day. I could have a whole conversation about shitting.

Originally posted by SimpleMan View Post
          I have plenty of suggestions but they are not 6-7 hours away from NYC. Is there a reason why you do not want to camp closer? Do you want to do anything in addition to staying at the camp?
          Basically, we want quiet. Don't want a lot of NYC folks there. Where we usually go is about 3-4 hours. 6-7 hours was the max we want to drive. I go to North/South lake with the family and it's full of hipsters which I hate, but it great for kids.

Where do you go?

Comment

Originally posted by TTSkipper View Post
            Go camping and white water rafting. Delaware water gap, Maine, upstate there are plenty of places.

Is the Delaware water gap the best place for white water rafting around here?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig23 View Post

It may be the closest, I am not sure about the best. I have only done it was up in Maine before and that was 25 years ago.
              Ben

Comment

Any guy who has a problem shitting in the woods, needs to go on a trip which requires shitting in the woods.
                Seriously, What's wrong with a bucket with a toilet seat top on it? Tell him to wear a skirt so no one sees his vagina.

Comment

• Craig23
                  Craig23 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree, but I'm hoping it will force us to go on different type of trip. He's still a pussy, though.

Go white water rafting at http://www.whitewaterchallengers.com/ in the Pennsylvania. Their facilities are great for those who only want to go "glamping", but the river trips are exciting enough for the more adventurous. Since it is getting late in the season, make sure you go rafting when there is a dam release.

Comment

Since when did camping include a bathroom?
                  The escape is complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by Craig23 View Post

Probably the best that you can get around here. You need to wait for a day when they release the dam.

Comment

I'd checkout Vermont, you can go rafting one day, take an ATV tour the next, have a day of hiking or beer pong and carry your sidearm the whole time. I've not done any of it personally there but if I had to book an epic camping trip with more than collecting firewood, smoking ribs and eating and drinking my face off I would start there.
                      All of my trips to vt have been in the winter for skiing but in dying to check out their summer activities.

Comment

Originally posted by METALHEAD View Post
                        I'd checkout Vermont, you can go rafting one day, take an ATV tour the next, have a day of hiking or beer pong and carry your sidearm the whole time. I've not done any of it personally there but if I had to book an epic camping trip with more than collecting firewood, smoking ribs and eating and drinking my face off I would start there.
                        All of my trips to vt have been in the winter for skiing but in dying to check out their summer activities.
                        This is what I'm looking for.

We usually go in September/October when schools are in session.

Comment

Just a quick search
                          http://www.crabapplewhitewater.com/?...CBvxoCC-Lw_wcB

http://www.voga.org/vermont_off_road...adventures.htm

The second link has a link to nearby campsites.

Comment

Working...
                          X