Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiking Suggestions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    I've managed to get to Stillwell Woods and the Glacier Ridge/Bald Hill Preserve. Both very nice and much more strenuous than Massapequa Preserve or Bethpage. Thanks for all the suggestions. I plan to hit a lot more of them and to go back to Still =well and Bald Hill with my bike.
    "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
    Tucker Max

    Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
    Finicky Fat Guy

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post
      I've managed to get to Stillwell Woods and the Glacier Ridge/Bald Hill Preserve. Both very nice and much more strenuous than Massapequa Preserve or Bethpage. Thanks for all the suggestions. I plan to hit a lot more of them and to go back to Still =well and Bald Hill with my bike.
      Good to hear!

      Now that NJ parks are back open, I'm heading to the Ramapo Valley County Reservation this weekend.

      Comment


        #33
        There's a nice bridle path that goes from Park Ave in Babylon, up to Belmont Lake. It's about 2.5 miles each way.

        Comment


          #34
          West Hills Park, Huntington , off Sweet Hollow Rd. . lots of walk trails . many, many well groomed horse trails starting at the big dog run area , the entrance
          close to Northern State is always gated off , the southern area , that nature preserve area is really wild and over grown
          https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sw...!4d-73.4258572
          link to trail maps
          https://sites.google.com/view/ligtc-...ner/trail-maps
          High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

          Comment


            #35
            Edgmere Park on Commack rd has some long trails and Cathedral Park in Yaphank also has some good hiking and bike trails

            Comment


              #36
              I headed up to Harriman/Bear Mtn Wed & Thu last week for an overnight. The road closures are apparently more extensive than posted as we were denied access to most of 7 Lakes Dr. We had to park at the Bear Mtn Inn lot. It makes so much sense.......we want people to keep spread out, so LET'S CONFINE THEM TO 1 LOT SO THEY'RE NICE AND CLOSE TOGETHER. NY is great.

              The trails themselves were all open, but the shelters are supposed to be closed. We hiked past the West Mtn shelter, which was not taped off or posted as closed in any way. We "rested a bit while it was dark out" a bit down the trail and could see headlamps moving at West Mtn during the night, so there was a party of at least 2 there.

              There's a nice place for 3 guys and 1 pooch to "rest a bit" just a few yards north of the south-facing brow of The Timp, in a small valley sheltered from the wind. It's been used before and we cleaned up the small bit of litter present. It was a great night, clear and temp in the upper 30's. I probably won't go back until the cold weather returns.


              IMG_0776.jpgIMG_0780.jpgIMG_0803.jpgIMG_0806.jpgIMG_0760.jpg


              Attached Files

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by kaos joe View Post
                I headed up to Harriman/Bear Mtn Wed & Thu last week for an overnight. The road closures are apparently more extensive than posted as we were denied access to most of 7 Lakes Dr. We had to park at the Bear Mtn Inn lot. It makes so much sense.......we want people to keep spread out, so LET'S CONFINE THEM TO 1 LOT SO THEY'RE NICE AND CLOSE TOGETHER. NY is great.

                The trails themselves were all open, but the shelters are supposed to be closed. We hiked past the West Mtn shelter, which was not taped off or posted as closed in any way. We "rested a bit while it was dark out" a bit down the trail and could see headlamps moving at West Mtn during the night, so there was a party of at least 2 there.

                There's a nice place for 3 guys and 1 pooch to "rest a bit" just a few yards north of the south-facing brow of The Timp, in a small valley sheltered from the wind. It's been used before and we cleaned up the small bit of litter present. It was a great night, clear and temp in the upper 30's. I probably won't go back until the cold weather returns.


                IMG_0776.jpgIMG_0780.jpgIMG_0803.jpgIMG_0806.jpgIMG_0760.jpg

                Sounds awesome.
                "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                Tucker Max

                Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                Finicky Fat Guy

                Comment


                  #38
                  It IS awesome. I was on the Timp-Torne Dunderberg Spiral Railway Trail nearby a couple weeks ago with my family.

                  That whole Bear Mountain/Harriman State Park area is gorgeous with nicely strenuous trails.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by kaos joe View Post
                    I headed up to Harriman/Bear Mtn Wed & Thu last week for an overnight. The road closures are apparently more extensive than posted as we were denied access to most of 7 Lakes Dr. We had to park at the Bear Mtn Inn lot. It makes so much sense.......we want people to keep spread out, so LET'S CONFINE THEM TO 1 LOT SO THEY'RE NICE AND CLOSE TOGETHER. NY is great.

                    The trails themselves were all open, but the shelters are supposed to be closed. We hiked past the West Mtn shelter, which was not taped off or posted as closed in any way. We "rested a bit while it was dark out" a bit down the trail and could see headlamps moving at West Mtn during the night, so there was a party of at least 2 there.

                    There's a nice place for 3 guys and 1 pooch to "rest a bit" just a few yards north of the south-facing brow of The Timp, in a small valley sheltered from the wind. It's been used before and we cleaned up the small bit of litter present. It was a great night, clear and temp in the upper 30's. I probably won't go back until the cold weather returns.



                    I usually hunt on the Sterling Forrest park grounds in November. I believe that's either part of Harriman State Park or next to it?
                    I always get some decent hiking in while up there hunting or scouting. Close to LI as well!

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by Range Time View Post
                      It IS awesome. I was on the Timp-Torne Dunderberg Spiral Railway Trail nearby a couple weeks ago with my family.
                      That whole Bear Mountain/Harriman State Park area is gorgeous with nicely strenuous trails.
                      I haven't been on that one yet. The Harriman/Bear Mtn area punches way above it's weight. Lots of ticks though, one of the reasons I prefer winter trips there.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        A few more from Harriman from a few years ago.......the snow pics were taken from a spot right off the AT just north of the Lemon Squeezer. There was 2 ft+ on the ground so we packed down a spot with the snowshoes. Single digits to teens above zero. We dug into the drift next to the tents to create a camp kitchen.

                        The others were from 2 winter trips in the southwest quadrant of the park. Not as cold, my dearly departed Lab was snug as could be in my spare sleeping bag. He was confused by what happened to his water dish though. I did a solo overnighter last winter to the same area. I really missed the dog.


                        IMG_0155.jpgIMG_0156.jpgIMG_0020.jpgIMG_0017.jpgIMG_1324.jpgIMG_1327.jpg


                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by kaos joe View Post

                          I haven't been on that one yet. The Harriman/Bear Mtn area punches way above it's weight. Lots of ticks though, one of the reasons I prefer winter trips there.
                          Thanks for the warning. We haven't seen any yet, but we take the kids on the well-travelled trails.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X