Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get Plastic Blue Water barrels to hold legs of tent ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get Plastic Blue Water barrels to hold legs of tent ?

Anyone know where to get 1/2 dozen of those blue plastic water barrels, need to secure legs and frame of a outdoor tent to it. Closed top where it has fill holes to put a hose in it to fill would be the best.

Ive used some of these for years but my canopy when fully loaded with artwork is pretty heavy to begin with......YMMV

HOMEMADE PVC PIPE WEIGHTS

PVC pipes filled with concrete (or sometimes sand), are used by many professional craft artists.

To make your own PVC pipe tent weights you will need:
    • PVC pipe (typically white to blend with the tent)
    • Concrete
    • End caps
    • Eye bolts

To make your own PVC pipe weights, simply fill a length of 3-4 inch PVC pipe with concrete (Quikrete is a popular brand and is available at many home building supply stores).

Homemade canopy weights can be secured to the base of tent legs.

The length and diameter of the pipe you choose will depend on how much you want the pipe to weigh. Many people aim for 40 pounds of weight on each leg, but you may want to create 8 pipes that weigh 20 pounds each (2 pipes for each tent leg), so each weight isn't so heavy to carry. 20 pound weights will be easier to manage than 40 pound weights.

If you go to a home building supply store that provides good customer service, they will be able to help you do the math on the amount of concrete (and, therefore, the size of PVC pipe) you will need to create the amount of weight you want.

Secure end caps onto one end of each PVC tube. Mix the concrete according to directions, and pour into the PVC pipes.

Comment

• Sig
      Sig commented
      Editing a comment
      Why not just use sand in the PVC & glue the caps on?

That's one option. I do the brakes on my cars, and have a pile of old rotors outside that I use to weigh down my canopies. I've thrown a bunch in a kiddie pool once when a hurricane was on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthForkSportsman View Post
      Anyone know where to get 1/2 dozen of those blue plastic water barrels, need to secure legs and frame of a outdoor tent to it. Closed top where it has fill holes to put a hose in it to fill would be the best.
      Are you talking about the 55 gallon blue plastic barrels? I'm in need too if you find. The farmer out east I usually get them from is out.

Comment

I have seen them on craigslist many times in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post

Are you talking about the 55 gallon blue plastic barrels? I'm in need too if you find. The farmer out east I usually get them from is out.
          Yes

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F0...1CWPYWOH&psc=1

FE645567-E021-49CF-9CED-7EEF92EC6E03.png

Comment

Here ya go! $25 each in sayville

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/9yXQsBimsfb

Comment

• Diesel1
                Diesel1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Those 10 gallon ones in plainview may be even better! 80lbs a corner sshould be more than enough. Much easier to store the smaller size, etc.

Good find to the king of Google!.....You're always finding good shit
                Last edited by Diesel1; 04-15-2021, 10:19 AM.

Looks like the same ad I have seen on C/list. Usually they list st $20each.

Comment

They're everywhere.
                Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

Working...
                X