Van Staal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Van Staal?

I have heard so many things about them ,is it really worth getting one for bass and blues?

Personally, I wouldn't make the investment unless I was fishing the surf daily or needed a blinged out reel to show my socio-economic status. Plus, the new ones are made in China.
    Africa Part 2: May 2018

Comment

• LazyLab
      LazyLab commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly!
      Unless you intend to swim with reel or stand in the wash, spend your money on other equipment.

I have one of the newer ones. I am still trying to figure out the entire bail less things. I went surf casting maybe 30 times last season. With the amount of money I saved in lost lures the reel paid for itself....

Comment

Originally posted by LIChris View Post
      Personally, I wouldn't make the investment unless I was fishing the surf daily or needed a blinged out reel to show my socio-economic status. Plus, the new ones are made in China.
      I wasn't happy when I saw it was made in China

Comment

So what do you mean the money saved in lost lures? I have lost a couple or more from bails snapping shut. If not a Van Saal what to get ? I need a small reel to surf cast with, I have a few injuries that don't let me use big heavy equipment. I am not into social status , I already know I am on the bottom under pond scum.

I have a new Penn 750ss made in the USA but its a tad to big I need the next size down, I have read that mant reels fill with sand and they are like swiss watches to clean. I would like to buy American made , but not to likely, I don't really want to spent crazy money. Any specific ideas? and how is the place next to DSI on price?
        Last edited by mickeyblueyes; 04-15-2016, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Pick up a 706Z, save your money, the fish can't see the reel.

Comment

That's a Penn? What's a good price? If you know. Thanks for you help T. When fresh water in Patchogue the stocked yesterday. I,m rusty next time

Comment

yes, the 706Z is the bail less version of the Penn 704Z, they run about $150, a reel you will keep for a lifetime

Comment

Bail less? Can I do that?

Comment

Sure, instead of the wire bail it has a spool on the side if the reel, a lot of old timers would buy the 704Z , dump the bail and screw the spool on the side of the reel. Look at the 704Z and the 706Z on Penn's website.

Comment

I like it,thanks I'm going to get one, made in USA!!

Comment

I like my Penn better than my Van Stall...

Comment

I went to a web site selling the Penn 706z and it got terrible reviews,said if sand gets in your sunk,and other issues, like spotty quality control.
                        I always wanted to get the Shimano Sedonda maybe I should just get that one .

What don't you like about the Van Staal? And only one of them is sealed the rest aren't ,

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post
                          I went to a web site selling the Penn 706z and it got terrible reviews,said if sand gets in your sunk,and other issues, like spotty quality control.
                          I always wanted to get the Shimano Sedonda maybe I should just get that one .

What don't you like about the Van Staal? And only one of them is sealed the rest aren't ,

It is tighter bc it is sealed. You shouldn't be dropping your reel in the sand. My penn does bind ip awful when it gets sand in it

Comment

I don't usually drop stuff in the sand, every once in a while something odd will happen, like the wind blows it over,or a rouge wave smacks you. Not on a reg.basis. I take a slide in camper out am there for several seconds days at a time.
                            If you fish Demo maybe I will see you.

Comment

Working...
                            X