You can fish for free in New York this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can fish for free in New York this weekend

<p>During these designated days, residents and visitors are permitted to fish for free without a fishing license.{/p}<p>{/p}

ALBANY NY (WRGB) - Governor Cuomo announced Tuesday that the first statewide free fishing weekend in New York for 2020 will take place on February 15 and 16.

During these designated days, residents and visitors are permitted to fish for free without a fishing license.

"New York is home to hundreds of lakes, streams and rivers, allowing amateur and expert anglers alike to get outdoors and experience the world-class fishing we have to offer, as well as the communities that host them," Governor Cuomo said. "With free fishing this weekend, I encourage residents and our out-of-state neighbors to pack a tackle box and a cooler, grab a fishing pole, and head out to have some fun with a pastime that I and so many of our fellow New Yorkers enjoy."

The free fishing days program is part of the Governor's NY Open for Fishing and Hunting Initiative and the upcoming free fishing days are the first of several planned for 2020. The free fishing days program began in 1991 to give people who might not fish a chance to try the rewarding sport at no cost, introduce people to a new hobby, and encourage people to support the sport by purchasing a New York State fishing license.

RELATED: How Thick Is That Ice ? Be safe as seasonal temps fluctuate.

According to the Governor's Office, freshwater fishing in New York generates an estimated $2.14 billion in economic activity annually, and supports nearly 11,000 jobs statewide.

According to the Governor's Office, freshwater fishing in New York generates an estimated $2.14 billion in economic activity annually, and supports nearly 11,000 jobs statewide.(FILE CNYCentral Photo).

DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos said, "This is a great time of year for families and novice anglers to try ice fishing as a new outdoor activity. Many schools are on mid-winter recess next week, so we selected Presidents' Day weekend as the first of several free fishing opportunities planned in New York to coincide with a time when anglers of all abilities are able to fish this winter."

RELATED: Lake safety in the winter

Winter anglers can catch a variety of fish while ice fishing, primarily perch, sunfish, pickerel, northern pike, and walleye. In addition, many waters throughout New York State are open to fishing for trout, lake trout, and landlocked salmon.

DEC reminds anglers to put safety first when ice fishing. This is particularly important during periods of freezing and thawing that most areas of New York have been experiencing lately.

There is an ice fishing guide available on the DEC website.
    Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

I met a guy from Kentucky that got a ticket for fishing while living here........he could not understand not being able to walk into the woods and go fishing in a lake without a license......I told him this is not the same place I grew up.

Comment

Yeah great job Cumhole. Free during the freezing temperatures so no one goes. How about promoting it in June, then maybe people would be more interested and buy licenses.
      This is just like the LI turkey season scam. Have LI turkey season coincide with opening day of deer season upstate so there is little or no participation.

Smoke and mirrors to claim he is looking out for the sportsman.
      Last edited by Yaphank Kid; 02-12-2020, 09:59 AM.

Comment

, I encourage residents and our out-of-state neighbors to pack a tackle box and a cooler, grab a fishing pole,

Pack a cooler? Is this guy on the same planet? It’s fucking February, and amazingly kids have the whole summer off ! Think kids want to stand in one spot with no gloves on trying to bait a hook? It happens to be a mild winter but really.

Comment

Meanwhile I just learned if you bring a telescope to a state beach. You need an astronomer license.
          The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

Originally posted by Ancap View Post
            Meanwhile I just learned if you bring a telescope to a state beach. You need an astronomer license.
            Believe it's a Stargazer permit. Astronomy permits are for the politicians as they are ASSES that always up URANUS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancap View Post
              That's for when you take the telescope to the beach during the daytime. It's an ASStronomers license

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post

Believe it's a Stargazer permit. Astronomy permits are for the politicians as they are ASSES that always up URANUS.
                Your right, either way I wasn’t paying for a license to look at stars. It’s ludicrous
                The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

I assume it's because they wanted to cut down on folks going there to watch the submarine races. Little do they know, anyone with me to watch the submarine races would need a telescope anyway...... da da rimshot**

Don't forget to tip your waitresses, I'll be here all week

Comment

Good job Andy you Jack off. I can see it now my favorite spot inhabited by illegals with their freshly minted driver licenses keeping everything they catch regardless of size and leaving piles of banana peels Malta and coconut milk cans behind.

Comment

What's next, free snow skiing in July? Pumpkin picking in May?

Comment

Temps are gonna plummet this weekend. Cuomo continues his perfect record of being a total loser.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamuscull View Post
                          I met a guy from Kentucky that got a ticket for fishing while living here........he could not understand not being able to walk into the woods and go fishing in a lake without a license......I told him this is not the same place I grew up.

Total bullshit.

Kentucky has fishing licenses just like NY.

Comment

It costs me $50 to take a shit in NY. Ain't nothing free here.

Comment

That's our Governor, giving away ice in the wintertime. I'm visiting in Florida and getting out to catch a few fish, there is access almost everywhere for free, the state has boat ramps, kayak launches and bridge and pier fishing spots They are clean without garbage and graffiti all over the place and did I mention most are free?
                              Also going to my first Florida gun show this weekend, I'm really looking forward to that!

Comment

Working...
                              X