Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surf fishing for sharks and big stingrays.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf fishing for sharks and big stingrays.....

With the annual "Davis Park Dead Stick Tournament" approaching, I want to step up my game a bit. The tournament is always held in August when there isnt much around besides small sharks and large stingrays. I actually won 2 years ago with a pretty big stingray, and last year I would have won again when I hooked into a monster stingray, but after 2+ hours fighting, I not only missed the end of the tournament, but he ended up chaffing the line off. Actually, for the entire battle, I never gained a single yard on him. He just kept taking line little by little, and when he took a rest, I wasnt able to get him out of the sand. So this year, I want to make an addition to the arsenal that will allow me to muscle even the biggest and baddest of stingrays to shore. Now, so that I dont end up wasting $750-1000 on a glorified meat stick, I was thinking of also having the reel pull double for tuna paired with a jigging rod. But with that said, I was thinking maybe a Penn Slammer 3 in the 9500/10500 size paired with a 12' Mojo Surf? I dont mind saving money on the rod if anyone has a better suggestion, I've just been trying to find something that can laucnh a 6 oz sinker with a chunk of meat on a surf rig as far as humanly possible, and enough backbone the muscle anything it hooks up to in to shore. Thoughts?

PS to add, my normal "meat stick" is a Penn 704 paired to an 11' Daiwa Coastal SP Surf Rod.

I'd get an old Penn 6/0 conventional reel and spool it with 100lb mono. Pair it with an inexpensive stand up rod no longer than 6'- Penn makes a few under $100. Swim, paddle board or kayak out your bait. Get a belt with a gimbal.

When I was in Hawaii I watched guys surf fishing with Shimano Tiagra 80's - they would kayak out the bait and drop it with a float suspending the bait at the desired depth. They were fishing for giant trevally.

Otherwise take a look at this article

https://www.onthewater.com/surf-sharking-revival

panem et circenses

Comment

Win1300 is right about kayaking. That’s how all the serious surf shark fisherman get their bait out far.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post
        With the annual "Davis Park Dead Stick Tournament" approaching, I want to step up my game a bit. The tournament is always held in August when there isnt much around besides small sharks and large stingrays. I actually won 2 years ago with a pretty big stingray, and last year I would have won again when I hooked into a monster stingray, but after 2+ hours fighting, I not only missed the end of the tournament, but he ended up chaffing the line off. Actually, for the entire battle, I never gained a single yard on him. He just kept taking line little by little, and when he took a rest, I wasnt able to get him out of the sand. So this year, I want to make an addition to the arsenal that will allow me to muscle even the biggest and baddest of stingrays to shore. Now, so that I dont end up wasting $750-1000 on a glorified meat stick, I was thinking of also having the reel pull double for tuna paired with a jigging rod. But with that said, I was thinking maybe a Penn Slammer 3 in the 9500/10500 size paired with a 12' Mojo Surf? I dont mind saving money on the rod if anyone has a better suggestion, I've just been trying to find something that can laucnh a 6 oz sinker with a chunk of meat on a surf rig as far as humanly possible, and enough backbone the muscle anything it hooks up to in to shore. Thoughts?

PS to add, my normal "meat stick" is a Penn 704 paired to an 11' Daiwa Coastal SP Surf Rod.
        Any info on the tourney, cant find anything on the interwebz
        The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

I like the idea of a kayak & short tuna rod, but I'd pair it with an Accurate & 80-100lb braid. BTW giant trevally are absolute kick ass fish to catch.
          NRA Life member

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post

Any info on the tourney, cant find anything on the interwebz
            It's small, but growing. I think this is like the 4th year. Organized by season and regular slip holders. I'll share the date when I find out exact details. And I will have to double check, but I think the use of any additional device to launch bait is against the rules...so no drones, bait cannons, kayaks, or boards.

Comment

On Sunday a guy caught a 5 or 6 foot tiger in the surf at Robert Moses field 5. No idea what he had for gear or bait. It was pretty exciting. EE2C4821-60A7-48CC-8E77-A04CFBCA673D.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBonds View Post

It's small, but growing. I think this is like the 4th year. Organized by season and regular slip holders. I'll share the date when I find out exact details. And I will have to double check, but I think the use of any additional device to launch bait is against the rules...so no drones, bait cannons, kayaks, or boards.
                please let me know. WIfes cousins rented a house there for 2 weeks starting soon so may be a great excuse to enter and have something to do besides sit on the sand like a fucking lizard which is boring.
                The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post

please let me know. WIfes cousins rented a house there for 2 weeks starting soon so may be a great excuse to enter and have something to do besides sit on the sand like a fucking lizard which is boring.
                  My FIL called one of the guys who organize it and said it's Labor Day weekend this year. Didnt specify a day, but I would assume Saturday or Sunday

Comment

Working...
                  X