Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuna - 1 / Fisherman - 0

Fisherman missing at sea after he’s dragged overboard by tuna in Hawaii

​A fisherman went missing Sunday after a massive tuna dragged him off a boat and into Hawaiian waters, police said.

Mark Knittle of Captain Cook was fishing with a friend four miles off the coast of Hōnaunau on the Big Island when he hooked the ahi just before 5 a.m., according to the Hawaii Police Department.

“The fish is huge,” Knittle reportedly said just before he was dragged overboard.

After witnessing Knittle plunge into the water, the friend tried to grab the line but missed.

The friend saw Knittle on the surface for a brief moment but disappeared “within seconds,” police said, adding that the friend attempted to jump in but couldn’t spot Knittle in the water.

Police and the Coast Guard have been searching for Knittle since he went overboard, but the massive ahi — which the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says can grow up to 6 feet and 400 pounds — may have dragged the fisherman far from where the boat was anchored.

“Usually, our incidents like this are along the coastlines. This is a different situation because it’s out in the deep,” said Darwin Okinaka, Hawaii County Fire Department assistant chief of operations.

“If there’s a fish that’s actually pulling him around, you don’t know where he could go,” Okinaka said.

Knittle is described as 5 feet 10 inches tall and 185 pounds, with curly brown hair with a white mustache and beard.

Hawaii police did not immediately respond to The Post’s question on whether any foul play is suspected in Knittle’s disappearance.

“If there’s a fish that’s actually pulling him around, you don’t know where he could go.”

I’m sure he was strapped in. Always have a knife where you can access it quickly. However there should have been a safety line on the rod and reel.

Comment

Ban fishinng!!
      "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Two things stand out in this article to me:

1. “Usually, our incidents like this are along the coastlines."

USUALLY?

2. "Hawaii police did not immediately respond to The Post’s question on whether any foul play is suspected in Knittle’s disappearance."

Was the tuna possibly in on it?

“The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
        Algernon Blackwood

Comment

• bigbore44
          bigbore44 commented
          Editing a comment
          I heard they're going to consult their decoder rings and get back with more info.

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
        Two things stand out in this article to me:

1. “Usually, our incidents like this are along the coastlines."

USUALLY?

2. "Hawaii police did not immediately respond to The Post’s question on whether any foul play is suspected in Knittle’s disappearance."

Was the tuna possibly in on it?
        maybe his wife was wearing a tuna costume???

Comment

Never put on a harness without checking the drag & carrying a very accessible knife.
          Last edited by Sig; 01-18-2023, 12:33 PM.
          NRA Life member

Always looking for lead
          Wheel weights. lino type, ect
          PM me if you have or find some

Comment

Horrible way to go. Fishing stand up can be deadly if your not prepared. Unless I was knocked unconscious, I would have backed the drag off. I almost took a tumble down in Panama last year on a big fish. Happens very quick.

Regards --------

Comment

• Sig
              Sig commented
              Editing a comment
              Lever drags FTW.

• Rrudo74901
              Rrudo74901 commented
              Editing a comment
              Worse you in a chair and locked in and the chair goes over.

The Old man and the sea - part 2

Comment

Chicken of the Sea, my ass 🐟🐟🐟

Comment

Working...
              X