North east pig hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C6NY View Post

Just throwing it out there as a possible option for the future. You could also fly, if you do some research, book well in advance the flights there can be surprisingly inexpensive. A one or two day hunt could have you there and back in a 3 or 4 day extended weekend. We've been flying down there the past 4 years, just a short 1.5 hour hop instead of a dreadful 11 hour haul.
    Has anyone flown with a featureless Ar-10 and lived to tell the tale? My big concern with flying is questionably NY legal weaponry. I feel safer traveling with a handgun through JFK than a neutered Ar. Ain't freedom great?

Comment

Originally posted by METALHEAD View Post

Has anyone flown with a featureless Ar-10 and lived to tell the tale? My big concern with flying is questionably NY legal weaponry. I feel safer traveling with a handgun through JFK than a neutered Ar. Ain't freedom great?
      I wonder if it would be any easier if you mailed your lower, rifle or handgun, ahead of you to your destination and pack your upper in your checked luggage. Legally, only the AR lower or pistol frame counts as the actual firearm, and it would avoid any potential law issues/snafus traveling out of new yorkistan, Driving shouldn't be an issue with the federal interstate travel protection law.

Comment

• LI Ammo
        LI Ammo commented
        Editing a comment
        I sent my guns and ammo ahead of me to an outfitter in Texas for a hunt with my son. Totally worth the cost to send it ahead.
        Send it to yourself in care of the guide company. Send it with plenty of unused tape in the box so you can reuse the box, pack it and tape it up, and arrange with the guide to drop it at the post office to return it to you.

The prairie dog thread made me resuscitate this thread.
      Still thinking about a hog hunt at Tioga. $150 a day plus the cost of the hog you kill.

Comment

Tioga is being heavily considered when I can muster up another long weekend and some company.
        I intended to make the plan for this past weekend but that all got squashed with a wedding.

Comment

I had been wanting to go on a hog hunt for at least 15 years but life happens. In February of 2021 I narrowly avoided death via a heart attack. Three stents later, a change in diet, and daily exercise I am doing very well now but that really gave me the incentive to live and do those things on the back burner. I booked a hog hunt for myself and my 14 year old son (my 12 year old son came for the experience). Time is still a bit of a constraint so Tioga Ranch in PA was ideal. We hunted this past Wednesday and it really was a great time. It did not have a canned feel at all, the property is immense at 500+ acres. We did stalking hunt - not a fan of posting/blinds. We had to stalk, double-back, etc. Took several hours in all and walked about 5 miles in all. I bagged a Russian boar while my son bagged a huge hog. That was his first kill and with one shot at 50 yards. Very proud. We made some great memories and came home with 147 lbs of meat. We even encountered a bison that stared us down early in the morning. Yes, there was snow in Tioga this week.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 10 photos.

Comment

• Karpteach
            Karpteach commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s some good eating pigs. I am SO glad that the boys loved it.

• METALHEAD
            METALHEAD commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool! Thanks for the review. Sounds like a great time.

• Range Time
            Range Time commented
            Editing a comment
            Simply awesome! That's a day you three will talk about for decades.

^^^ Glad you got to enjoy that trip w your boys, Tom. Hope you are feeling better.

I’ve got mixed feelings on the fenced/canned hunts honestly. I guess the part of me that accepts them as a necessary evil (fenced hunt = sportsmanlike?) is how invasive and destructive these pigs have become. Bigger picture it seems more responsible to contain them than to have them released into the wild uncontrollably. I imagine land owners and farmers prefer the limiting factor of these contained properties and experience less damage from the occasional escapee or errant wild pig still out there.
          Down by one of my sons in Texas the helicopter hunts are popular but they blast these animals by the dozens and never harvest any of them, they leave them in the fields to rot (and feed the other feral pigs). That to me is not sporting but I can understand the popularity and the need to knock these things down.

πŸ–πŸ₯“πŸ–πŸ₯“πŸ–πŸ₯“

Comment

Originally posted by METALHEAD View Post
            Considering all the shit I put myself through this month I want to treat myself to a pig hunt. When I was a kid I went to wild hill preserve in VT a few times with my pop. I'd consider going back there but figured I'd see if there are any recommendations that are more current than my past experiences. I want to set something up for a few friends in November. Anyone have any suggestions of where to go or places to avoid? Would like to keep the drive under 6 hours and not get ripped off.
            Wild hill closed down.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
              ^^^ Glad you got to enjoy that trip w your boys, Tom. Hope you are feeling better.

I’ve got mixed feelings on the fenced/canned hunts honestly. I guess the part of me that accepts them as a necessary evil (fenced hunt = sportsmanlike?) is how invasive and destructive these pigs have become. Bigger picture it seems more responsible to contain them than to have them released into the wild uncontrollably. I imagine land owners and farmers prefer the limiting factor of these contained properties and experience less damage from the occasional escapee or errant wild pig still out there.
              Down by one of my sons in Texas the helicopter hunts are popular but they blast these animals by the dozens and never harvest any of them, they leave them in the fields to rot (and feed the other feral pigs). That to me is not sporting but I can understand the popularity and the need to knock these things down.

πŸ–πŸ₯“πŸ–πŸ₯“πŸ–πŸ₯“
              "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I went to the Harrisburg Outdoor show this February specifically to look into hog hunts. I collected brochures from outfits in GA, SC, FL, and AL. What concerned me a little bit is that they all hunt at night with night vision devices, which are mucho expensivo! Many had rental guns set up with NV but I want to hunt with my own rifles!
                "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Working...
                X