Does NY Have a "Roadkill Permit"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does NY Have a "Roadkill Permit"?

On my way home, I witnessed a deer get hit by a car on the North Road in my rear view mirror and got to wondering - does NY offer a possession tag for deer killed by cars? I know other states offer them, but I've never heard about it here and couldn't find anything about it on the DEC site.

Not that there was any usable meat left on this thing - it got hit at highway speed and flew 15 feet in the air (vertically). From what I could see, it took out the front curbside window and windshield and deployed the front and side airbags (I don't like glass in my backstraps).
    Africa Part 2: May 2018

I believe so. Not sure about down here, but I know it is routinely done in WNY by the county police officers.

Comment

I got a road kill last year. Car in front of me hit the deer. I was coming home from hunting with no deer. The rear legs were hit, the deer couldn't walk. Way upstate. Cop came & finished the deer. I asked for a tag. Upstate cops all have road kill tags. The driver was happy nothing was going to waste. Cop was happy. and I drove straight to the butcher without even gutting the deer.

Comment

I know in season, and if you have a valid tag, you can tag it yourself and keep it moving. I'm not sure what SCPD or NCPD policy is..
        Hunter, NRA Life Member, NYS Deplorable

🚄TrumpTrain2016🇺🇸.🇺🇸.🇺🇸

Pro Political Term Limits
        Anti High Capacity Mag Limits
        Fuck Andrew Cuomo's Suck my Ass Act

Comment

Have been told by my butcher that if you come upon a road kill on Lawnguyland, call the DEC and they may come and give you a tag so you don't have to use yours. Not sure if you need to show your valid tag and license. But if you have a tag in season, the deer is yours.

Comment

Best to just eat them then and there, no paperwork.
            Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.

Comment

if y ou call the D.E.C they will give you a tag for the road kill they gave me one a few years back but you can nt gut the deer on the road you must take it home or butcher to gut it
              PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
              For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
              WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
              Member Of The NRA - Trophy Life Member of North American Hunting Club - Syosset Sportsman Club
              DUCKS UNLIMATED WESTERN SUFFOLK CHAPTER
              New York Hunter Safety Instructor

Comment

Working...
              X