Rats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rats

So, the old woman who lives behind us has decided the birds need feeding...lots of feeding. Her bird food has attracted rats, saw a bigun over the weekend and found a dead one near my shed.
    Poison is out, our dog and our neighbors dogs make that a no go. Traps are a possibility but I'm thinking BB gun. Not a long term solution, but...
    Since I don't own a BB gun so the next step is buying one...advice/thoughts/recommendations?

Make that feeder have a horrible accident.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyLab View Post
      Make that feeder have a horrible accident.
      She is one bag of bird feed away from a neighborhood mutiny.

Comment

You;re fucked. Rats are scary smart. Mice are stupid and manageable. Air rifle will take forever (plus illegal in your yard in the Town of Huntington, no exceptions), if you don't eliminate the food source.

The most important thing is to eliminate the food source, clean/clear the area, seal up your home/area (any penetrations with metal flashing, copper wool etc.) and traps and poison. If you don't eliminate the food source only more will come and breed,spread disease and fuck shit up. Rodents love bird and grass seed. Huge attractant of vermin other than garbage.

Or get a good mouser like a terrier or a fox. They are actually using dogs in Manhattan now for rat control.
        Last edited by Destro; 06-20-2016, 10:46 PM.

Comment

+1 for a terrier
          NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R | NSCA | NYSRPA

Comment

Traps work. I like the old style Victor traps. Not the ones with the yellow plastic. They take too much pressure to trigger. I epoxy a square of card stock to that curled up copper locking piece. It's got to be large enough so it can't be avoided, but not so big it blocks the spring arm. The peanut butter goes at the other end where the long retaining arm is connected to the wood base. Now you need to get the bastard to approach from the right direction. I made a rectangular box with one open end. Not too big that he can avoid the trap, but not so small that it interferes with the trap. If he wants the peanut butter, he has to step on the pressure plate to get there. Sometimes it's helpful to set the box up with peanut butter on the far wall and no trap.... just to get them used to stopping by for a meal. Once you see they ate the peanut butter, you'll know they'll be back.
            Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post
              You;re fucked. Rats are scary smart. Mice are stupid and manageable. Air rifle will take forever (plus illegal in your yard in the Town of Huntington, no exceptions), if you don't eliminate the food source.

The most important thing is to eliminate the food source, clean/clear the area, seal up your home/area (any penetrations with metal flashing, copper wool etc.) and traps and poison. If you don't eliminate the food source only more will come and breed,spread disease and fuck shit up. Rodents love bird and grass seed. Huge attractant of vermin other than garbage.

Or get a good mouser like a terrier or a fox. They are actually using dogs in Manhattan now for rat control.
              Well I feel better now 🐭 🔫💣☠⚰. 😎

Comment

Sounds like it may be easier to get rid of the old woman....hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

Well I feel better now 🐭 🔫💣☠⚰. 😎
                  Well, speaking of ordinances (like the one TOH has that does not allow air rifle, etc. discharged) if it's really that much of a neighborhood problem and I can see how it could be, maybe see if there's a health violation or something they can call her on, just to prevent the sloppy seed. It's really a huge vermin attractant, and normally I wouldn't advocate ratting anyone out (pun intended) but if it's that much of an issue fuck that.

Traps work but usually the population will explode and it's a battle of attrition, plus they are a dollar a pop, nasty to get rid off, and rats are clever to snap traps. Also if you bait you're technically attracting them, so there's that. You can see what she's willing to do about the food source, and use some traps, your dog might get some, and make sure there's no penetrations into your home they can chew into (like a pipe coming in, or a vent). We use copper mesh, aluminum flashing, steel wool and caulk. Rodents don't like to chew metal.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post

Well, speaking of ordinances (like the one TOH has that does not allow air rifle, etc. discharged) if it's really that much of a neighborhood problem and I can see how it could be, maybe see if there's a health violation or something they can call her on, just to prevent the sloppy seed. It's really a huge vermin attractant, and normally I wouldn't advocate ratting anyone out (pun intended) but if it's that much of an issue fuck that.

Traps work but usually the population will explode and it's a battle of attrition, plus they are a dollar a pop, nasty to get rid off, and rats are clever to snap traps. Also if you bait you're technically attracting them, so there's that. You can see what she's willing to do about the food source, and use some traps, your dog might get some, and make sure there's no penetrations into your home they can chew into (like a pipe coming in, or a vent). We use copper mesh, aluminum flashing, steel wool and caulk. Rodents don't like to chew metal.

Good luck!
                    That's along the lines I was thinking h.
                    first I'd get a few of the neighbors to talk to her.
                    i know hat hasn't worked in a particular neighborhood where an old lady feeds and breeds squirrels but you got to try.
                    if she doesn't chill out, I'd get a bunch of you to start making health complaints.
                    look into it at least
                    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Lovemyglock
                      Lovemyglock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      old lady??!!!!

lol, you suck

• Aquabach
                      Aquabach commented
                      Editing a comment
                      well, they call her granny.
                      But she'd Hot!
                      Better?

A friend one town over is plagued with the bastards.
                    His father insists on having a bird feeder filled all year long.
                    I don't have a solution other than eliminating the food source, but I can tell you Orkin is making a fortune on him.

Comment

My rat killer

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

drop dime to the town QUICK your quality of life is not supposed to be effected by what your neighbor does , call animal control, health dept,code enforcement,do not stop until they do something, oh and the more of you that complain the faster you get results

Comment

• Postal Bob
                          Postal Bob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          True. There are town health codes that prohibit unmonitored wild animal feeding to the point where it's attracting rodents and other small animals.

A fire at the feeding source, no food no rats. Poision the rat food at the feeder.
                        stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

Call the town and get ahold of code enforcement. Remind them of all the lovely diseases these rodents spread.
                          If you do start plinking them with an air gun, be careful. You could make the news as a man with an assault rifle sniping in his backyard.
                          "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

Working...
                          X