X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trap25
    started a topic NYS DEC

NYS DEC

Thought this might have some interest to some. Looks like the DEC can study the Deer overpopulation , but cant do any thing about it. Plus Operator Exam info, below Deer Management in Urban & Suburban New York

White-tailed deer are an important part of New York’s natural heritage. However, they increased in abundance throughout the last century and have now reached problematic levels in many parts of the state, especially where local and state laws and landowner opinions have constrained regulated hunting. DEC created a report (PDF) that provides a comprehensive review of deer overabundance and management in urban and suburban areas.

Urban/suburban deer overabundance is challenging community residents, local municipal officials, and state agencies across the country. In some respects, New York is at the forefront of management approaches to this problem, but state laws prevent the use of several of the most effective techniques. Removing those legal obstacles would make it easier and more affordable for communities to address their deer-related problems. No matter what methods are used, urban/suburban deer management is a complicated process requiring a long-term commitment. Communities and individuals interested in developing a deer management program can visit DEC’s Community Deer Management webpage for a deer management guide, other resources, and contact information.
    DEC Announces Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator Exam

Exams to be Held June 21, Registration Deadline is June 14

DEC announced the Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator exam scheduled for Friday, June 21, 2019. The exam will take place from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the DEC Region 2 office located at 47-40 21st Street, Long Island City, NY 11101.

The examination is for individuals seeking a general (commercial) license to provide wildlife removal services. For more information on the Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator License and links to obtain study materials please visit DEC's website.

Individuals can register for the exam by contacting the DEC Region 2 wildlife office at (718) 482-4922 or e-mail R2.NaturalResources@dec.ny.gov and provide your name, mailing address, phone number and an e-mail address. There is no fee to take the exam.

• spider
    replied
    Originally posted by Fandj View Post

And Thumper to make a nice stew
    Not Thumper.

Leave a comment:

• Fandj
    replied
    Originally posted by spider View Post

But, but, but...you wanna kill Bambi?
    And Thumper to make a nice stew

Leave a comment:

• LiDad
    replied
    Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post

They took the bridges! That's how they figure the coyotes got here into Central Park, Bronx, and Queens. I wonder if they have EZ-Pass?
    3 years ago I was hunting out East mid-October.
    I was in the woods around 4:30am, sitting in my spot waiting.
    Way off in the distance I heard what sounded like a dog howling. A long, mournful howl. Over and over.
    Never occurred to me it could be a yot.

Leave a comment:

• Postal Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by oshwan View Post

Not saying they swam over but if not where did it come from? Walked from Fire Island?
    They took the bridges! That's how they figure the coyotes got here into Central Park, Bronx, and Queens. I wonder if they have EZ-Pass?

Leave a comment:

• LiDad
    replied
    I think it's Port J that wants to open some areas to bow hunting and the residence are furious. They want the government to do it.

Leave a comment:

• NRATC53
    replied
    Originally posted by oshwan View Post

Not saying they swam over but if not where did it come from? Walked from Fire Island?
    NJ has a bunch, Staten Island is loaded with them

Leave a comment:

• Banzai
    replied
    Change "deer" to "illegals" and this thread is an entertaining read.

Leave a comment:

• LiDad
    replied
    Talk to the LI anti's. They want vets to administer drugs to the deer to keep them from breeding.

Free birth control extends to deer too I guess.

Leave a comment:

• oshwan
    replied
    Originally posted by FastPhil View Post

Coney Island is Brooklyn . You saying it swam from Staten Island ? Yes I know deer are good swimmers . I've seen them by the old landfill by 440

Leave a comment:

• NRATC53
    replied
    Originally posted by spider View Post

But, but, but...you wanna kill Bambi?
    Yes, I do

Leave a comment:

• Ellar
    replied
    On the exam, it's gophers, not golfers, you great fool. Gophers. The *little* *brown*, *furry* *rodents*.

Leave a comment:

• lynyrd
    replied
    These were taken in East Hampton last July. They're like cattle out there.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Ancap
    replied
    Originally posted by pequa1 View Post

Could have sworn the USDA guy I meet on my nuisance permit said it was a silenced .243. He can use bait and night vision devices besides jacklighting them.
    From the hearing they said 22lr headshots

not much use silencing a .243, even if it was 243 it’s still something we get arrested for

Leave a comment:

• pequa1
    replied
    Originally posted by Ancap View Post
    I find it laughable when government employees “thinned out” the deer herd on Long Island they hunted at night, with 22lr and silencers. The very things that would get us arrested!
    Could have sworn the USDA guy I meet on my nuisance permit said it was a silenced .243. He can use bait and night vision devices besides jacklighting them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X