Hunting Clubs Looking For New Members??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Clubs Looking For New Members??

Does anyone know of any hunting clubs [Catskill area, Southern Zone] looking for new members?

I was a 3rd generaration member of the Metropolitan Rod and Gun club for about 30 before I left 10 years ago . They have 1000 acres in Delaware county and a clubhouse with a pistol and archery range in downtown Brooklyn . The main reason I left is because the deer population was way down from years before . I still hunt mostly Delaware county but feel I have more freedom to change locations. Been sticking to mainly NYCDEP property and like it .

Comment

I'm sure there are more out there?
      Keeping a low profile or are we a dying breed?
      From what I've seen it is mostly older guys ..... and it is more of a social club. Few hunters & they do not attract younger members!

I was in a club in the Adirondacks. We lost our land last year . We were real hunters, everyone in bed by 10PM .... up & out by 5. We drank & smoked cigars but that was only part of the reason we were there.

Still looking

Comment

There ARE a ton of clubs out there still, and probably hurting for members, but very few actually advertise for it. I did see a few ads a little while back, and did post the link. I will check again and see what I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by Sport454 View Post
          I'm sure there are more out there?
          Keeping a low profile or are we a dying breed?
          From what I've seen it is mostly older guys ..... and it is more of a social club. Few hunters & they do not attract younger members!

I was in a club in the Adirondacks. We lost our land last year . We were real hunters, everyone in bed by 10PM .... up & out by 5. We drank & smoked cigars but that was only part of the reason we were there.

Still looking
          Was that the Gooley club?? (Spelling?)

Comment

We hunt the NYCDEP property also.

What we did was buy five acres that is surrounded by city land so we would have a home base.

At one time we had 800 acres of private land we could hunt on but little by little we were disinvited. We are down to 200 acres And we could be tossed at any minute.

Deer numbers are way way down in the Catskills from 40 years ago when there were farms. You have to hunt hard to get a buck.

We have gotten some good bucks on DEP property. But the problem is no ATV’s. We have had some long drags. We are thinking of taking them out in pieces this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike103 View Post

Was that the Gooley club?? (Spelling?)
              It was the East Kilns Hunting Club. We had 1,000 acres backed up by 27,000 of state. Camp was 2 miles off the paved road or hard road as they called it.
              The club leased the property for more than 20 years when it was sold out from under us in the middle of the hunting season.
              I didn't make it up there last season but I'm sure it was a really depressing scene!
              Great people, great memories I took a 10 pointer [rifle] & a button buck [muzzleloader] in the couple of years I was up there.

Comment

Been there- done that. Had my lease pulled from me at the month of renewal, after 17 yrs there. And yes, it sucks the big one. Leased again for 5 yrs, during which time I decided it was time to buy my own.

Comment

I have been looking for a few years now, still come up with nothing.
                  "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
                  - Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
                  - James Madison

Comment

We fantasized about buying hunting land for 40 years.
                    We could never afford to buy enough land for all of
                    us to hunt on. We have 11 owners but not all hunt every year. We have 6 hard core hunters.

We began branching out and hunting the DEP property and found several pieces that had deer and were hard for others to hunt. From there we looked for property.

Only the rich can buy several hundred acres. Buy a small piece near city or state land and go where others will not.

Comment

I wouldn't buy less than I could gun hunt on my own. Current law is 10 ac but I don't trust heir Cumo so 25 would be my minimum. I thought of trying to get a "group" together .... that is not without issues of its own!
                      I found a place that was a defunct hunting club. 90 acres nestled between state land. It has a cabin with 14 bunks on the 2nd floor, common room & kitchen on the 1st floor. Outhouse. No electric or water. If 10 guys put in $10K each ......

Comment

My father always wanted to buy a piece of property upstate for hunting but I always talked him out of it . I'm such a dick . It's was cheap back then

Comment

I am also looking for either land or a club to join , but have been in clubs before ---it has to be a match of people

thats why i am looking for land ,

Comment

Originally posted by Sport454 View Post
                            I wouldn't buy less than I could gun hunt on my own. Current law is 10 ac but I don't trust heir Cumo so 25 would be my minimum. I thought of trying to get a "group" together .... that is not without issues of its own!
                            I found a place that was a defunct hunting club. 90 acres nestled between state land. It has a cabin with 14 bunks on the 2nd floor, common room & kitchen on the 1st floor. Outhouse. No electric or water. If 10 guys put in $10K each ......
                            What is the 10 acre law? Never heard of such a thing, I may have broken that law a few times in the past..

Comment

My club went belly up last year after 24 years. I'm also looking. May also be amenable to starting a club with an eye to lease/buy property.

Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Working...
                              X