Hunting Clubs Looking For New Members??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muskoday View Post

What is the 10 acre law? Never heard of such a thing, I may have broken that law a few times in the past..
    it is not so much as a law(that I am aware of), but more of a situation. The problem is development. Say if you have 5ac, and you have neighbors on both sides in the same situation(this is a VERY common arrangement when large properties are carved up into subdivisions), and you build cabins, now you are screwed by the rule of no discharging of a firearm within 500' of a dwelling. Most small parcels(<10ac), are usually narrow and deep rectangles, which doesn't leave you much room to actually hunt. If you go that small, you must be careful where you buy.

Comment

I’m in Roxbury Township. I’ve been hunting the area for 45 years.

The problem as I see it is if you buy something you will own it for the rest of your life. Not much sells in my area so if you buy it you own it forever.

Because the DEP pays 3k an acre it has inflated the prices. Before the city went on their buying spree 1,500 an a acre was the price for many many years. We bought 5 acres and paid 18k. He wanted 22k but we were able to dicker. A little over 3k an acre.

This piece gives us access to over 1,000 acres of city land that no one else hunts.

I would love to have 100 acres of my own land but two things. First I do not have 300k to spend on hunting land and second the reality is 100 acres is not that big when talking about hunting. You could walk across 100 acres in less than 15 minutes .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike103 View Post
        I’m in Roxbury Township. I’ve been hunting the area for 45 years.

The problem as I see it is if you buy something you will own it for the rest of your life. Not much sells in my area so if you buy it you own it forever.

Because the DEP pays 3k an acre it has inflated the prices. Before the city went on their buying spree 1,500 an a acre was the price for many many years. We bought 5 acres and paid 18k. He wanted 22k but we were able to dicker. A little over 3k an acre.

This piece gives us access to over 1,000 acres of city land that no one else hunts.

I would love to have 100 acres of my own land but two things. First I do not have 300k to spend on hunting land and second the reality is 100 acres is not that big when talking about hunting. You could walk across 100 acres in less than 15 minutes .
        I agree you have to go in with the attitude that you will die with upstate property ..... and leave it in your will!
        I don't agree with the cost per acre though ...... depending on how far you are willing to drive!
        The dividing line is about 3 hrs from the bridge off this sand bar. Land can be had in the Adirondacks for around $500/acre. I'm not looking to go that far. There is property closer that is under $1000/ac.

Case in point. I'm looking at a piece on the Delaware River. 50 ac asking $39K. Local guy retired moved to Florida & died. Now the estate is looking to dump it. It;s 500' wide by almost 4,000' ft deep.
        All woods with an elevation change of about 700' over the length .... that's about a 2/12 pitch for the roofer types among us. Lots of woods on both sides. No development at all .... for now anyway

Comment

Well I guess the price is higher where the city is buying up land. It got so bad towns had to make it illegal to sell land to the DEP within the villages because of the shrinking tax base.

What NYC has done to upstate NY to protect their water is criminal. They will not allow towns to thrive. What a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike103 View Post
            Well I guess the price is higher where the city is buying up land. It got so bad towns had to make it illegal to sell land to the DEP within the villages because of the shrinking tax base.

What NYC has done to upstate NY to protect their water is criminal. They will not allow towns to thrive. What a shame.
            Thrive ? Since I've been born I've seen nothing thrive North of Putnam and Orange County . Where I hunt in Hancock the biggest thing that happened in the past 40 years was a McDonalds and a traffic light and thats only because it's next to Rt17 . If you buy a good chunk of land with hardwoods and have it timbered every few years it could be a good investment . I know some areas have transformed into yuppyville where the city folks go to raise llamas . Margretville for example

Oh I forgot the golf course at French Woods borders the state land I hunt sometimes and isn't that old but the folks from downstate keep that place alive and the Hancock house is new
            Last edited by FastPhil; 06-11-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sport454 View Post

I agree you have to go in with the attitude that you will die with upstate property ..... and leave it in your will!
              I don't agree with the cost per acre though ...... depending on how far you are willing to drive!
              The dividing line is about 3 hrs from the bridge off this sand bar. Land can be had in the Adirondacks for around $500/acre. I'm not looking to go that far. There is property closer that is under $1000/ac.

Case in point. I'm looking at a piece on the Delaware River. 50 ac asking $39K. Local guy retired moved to Florida & died. Now the estate is looking to dump it. It;s 500' wide by almost 4,000' ft deep.
              All woods with an elevation change of about 700' over the length .... that's about a 2/12 pitch for the roofer types among us. Lots of woods on both sides. No development at all .... for now anyway
              Thats gotta be between Calicoon and Hancock .Any of that land on the Delaware ? That sounds like a good deal at less than 1k per acre . Some of that land can be real steep to hunt though .

Comment

Everything in Sullivan, Delaware, and Broome got inflated when the Gas leasing was going apeshit. The prices have settled down a bit since the moratorium, but still run on the high side 2K+/ac. Like Phil said, that deal sounds really good on the river. If I was in a much better position, I would even contemplate looking at it. Fair pricing can be found in the central NY valley areas, up route 8 out of Deposit.

Comment

No I agree. I have watched houses for sale crumble and rot into the ground.

Comment

Friends of mine bought 80+ acres in Sullivan for almost 5k an acre. Now they can’t get half their money back.

Comment

There are quite a few clubs up in the Dover / Pawlimg area. Most are for birds and then deer/bear/coyote/fishing/etc. but they aren’t cheap

Are you looking for specifically deer or birds?

Comment

I'm primarily looking for big game. Small game and or birds would be a plus. I'm also looking for a place to get away to. To hang out maybe fish or do some light ATV trail riding.

I hope I'm not offending anyone here but, I found one club looking for members. You "buy in" for a 1/12 ownership. Now I don't know all the details yet and as someone else posted groups depend on the chemistry of the members. The fact that anyone who can write a check for $10K can just come in makes me nervous. What if I don't like the guys or they don't like me?

I started hunting later than most and if I should have thought about buying land 20 years ago. At 60 I have maybe 10 more good years to do this? I have a 30 yer old son who will hunt with me but has already said when I stop he will too. Ugghhh this is making my head hurt!!!

Comment

I'm primarily looking for big game. Small game and or birds would be a plus. I'm also looking for a place to get away to. To hang out maybe fish or do some light ATV trail riding.

I hope I'm not offending anyone here but, I found one club looking for members. You "buy in" for a 1/12 ownership. Now I don't know all the details yet and as someone else posted groups depend on the chemistry of the members. The fact that anyone who can write a check for $10K can just come in makes me nervous. What if I don't like the guys or they don't like me?

I started hunting later than most and if I should have thought about buying land 20 years ago. At 60 I have maybe 10 more good years to do this? I have a 30 yer old son who will hunt with me but has already said when I stop he will too. Ugghhh this is making my head hurt!!!
                          There are quite a few bird/clays clubs within 90 miles. They aren’t cheap but where can you go shoot birds and have a nice meal and fish in the afternoon.
                          The wild game is a plus to all these clubs. Would depend on what you want to spend but they maintain the trail cams and when you go hunting turkey they know what’s coming along. Most clubs are a fee plus a la carte. The more you do, the more you pay.

Comment

Well I found a couple of "sportsmans" clubs on FB.
                            Both have really nice camps but both are light on hunters & younger members
                            One club actually abandoned "work parties" & opted to hire people & add it into the dues. Those dues are $1,800/yr
                            What I also thought was strange a member can sell his share for whatever he wants or can get. The new shareholder has to be approved by the other members but that is nothing more than an interview? I thought there was a line from a comedian .... I don't want to be part of any organization that would have me as a member. Marx brothers maybe???

Still looking ....

edit PS: I did find one who is not looking for or accepting new members & they require sponsorship from an current member.

Comment

Well I found a couple of "sportsmans" clubs on FB.
                              Both have really nice camps but both are light on hunters & younger members
                              One club actually abandoned "work parties" & opted to hire people & add it into the dues. Those dues are $1,800/yr
                              What I also thought was strange a member can sell his share for whatever he wants or can get. The new shareholder has to be approved by the other members but that is nothing more than an interview? I thought there was a line from a comedian .... I don't want to be part of any organization that would have me as a member. Marx brothers maybe???

Still looking ....

edit PS: I did find one who is not looking for or accepting new members & they require sponsorship from an current member.
                              if you find something let me know also , need a place closer than i go

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post

if you find something let me know also , need a place closer than i go
                                will do

Comment

Working...
                                X