Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sea duck decoy rig.. advice needed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Sea duck decoy rig.. advice needed

    Hi....
    Looking to put together a sea waterfowl rig and asking for your advice...
    I was thinking about a dozen or so mixed diver duck decoys, 4-6 brant and 4-6 Canadas... all floaters...
    Preferences, too many, too few?
    What I have now are 2+ dozen mallards, 4 wood duck and 2 Canada floaters...
    let me hear your thoughts please...
    Thanks,
    Steve

    #2
    sea ducks , like white wing scoter , sea coot ?
    call me ol school but 1 gal clorox bleach bottles , some play sand for ballast , a can of black spray paint, can of white paint and a brush works real well
    High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

    Comment


      #3
      For sea ducks use alot of white. I used to have 3 dozen that were set up as follows:
      I had six 1x4x8' painted flat black. The decoys were screwed to the boards from the underside with galvanized deck screws and siliconed where the decoys are attached. I had 5 decoys on each board. Position the decoys behind one another evenly spaced, you can angle them a little so they are facing different ways but still all going in the same direction. Put line and weights on both ends of the boards. From there on it's so easy to set them. Just line them up one board behind the other in a V pattern and use the 6 decoys that aren't on boards around the fringe or in the pocket of the V. Position your boat or blind behind the pocket, lock and load.

      It takes all of 5 minutes to set the rig up this way. The hardest part is dealing with the lines. You can leave one leg of the V longer than the other, I found that it worked better than a big even V. If the wind is from the right, keep the longer leg on the left and vice versa. You can experiment and see what works best for you. Picking the rig up when you are done is just as easy as setting it, 5 minutes and you're under way.

      Good luck 👍🦆🦆🦒🦒

      Comment


        #4
        I had a rig of 3 dozen broad bill that worked well

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by John l View Post
          I had a rig of 3 dozen broad bill that worked well
          Would only broadbill come in?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Yaphank Kid View Post
            For sea ducks use alot of white. I used to have 3 dozen that were set up as follows:
            I had six 1x4x8' painted flat black. The decoys were screwed to the boards from the underside with galvanized deck screws and siliconed where the decoys are attached. I had 5 decoys on each board. Position the decoys behind one another evenly spaced, you can angle them a little so they are facing different ways but still all going in the same direction. Put line and weights on both ends of the boards. From there on it's so easy to set them. Just line them up one board behind the other in a V pattern and use the 6 decoys that aren't on boards around the fringe or in the pocket of the V. Position your boat or blind behind the pocket, lock and load.

            It takes all of 5 minutes to set the rig up this way. The hardest part is dealing with the lines. You can leave one leg of the V longer than the other, I found that it worked better than a big even V. If the wind is from the right, keep the longer leg on the left and vice versa. You can experiment and see what works best for you. Picking the rig up when you are done is just as easy as setting it, 5 minutes and you're under way.

            Good luck 👍🦆🦆🦒🦒
            What decoys did you use?

            Comment


              #7
              A neighbor gave me a bunch of decoys in a duffel bag before he moved. I have no use for them. I can try to find them and take a look and snap a pic. If you can use them, they are all yours! Donate a brick of 22LR to Freeport Jrs and call it even.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post

                What decoys did you use?
                Buffle head, a buddy rigged old squaw the same way.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Everything came into the broadbill decoys

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post
                    A neighbor gave me a bunch of decoys in a duffel bag before he moved. I have no use for them. I can try to find them and take a look and snap a pic. If you can use them, they are all yours! Donate a brick of 22LR to Freeport Jrs and call it even.
                    Awesome. That will be great for him
                    "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

                    Comment


                      #11
                      These are going to city repo ads long as he posts pictures when they're done
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Can you define sea ducks? Are you talking about Scoter, old squaw, eider? or divers like Broadbill, mergansers and buffle head? There is a differnt answer. You talk about brant and geese in the same rig so my guess id you are talking divers.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Valcas1 View Post
                          Can you define sea ducks? Are you talking about Scoter, old squaw, eider? or divers like Broadbill, mergansers and buffle head? There is a differnt answer. You talk about brant and geese in the same rig so my guess id you are talking divers.
                          Any type of waterfowl that frequents the bay or sound.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post
                            These are going to city repo ads long as he posts pictures when they're done
                            How many are there?
                            "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

                              How many are there?
                              No idea. Green army duffle bag full. Id guess a dozen maybe??

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X