School me on hunting public land on LI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on hunting public land on LI

I've never hunted public land on Long Island before but may consider it. I've always been opposed to it because I don't want some schmuck to shoot me but I may not be able to hunt with my friend on his property upstate this year.

When I am on my friends property I know where everyone is. We always know where we are shooting to assure no accidents. On public property I have no idea. What if someone sets up after I get there and I don't know he's there? This is what scares me. What if I set up and I don't see someone close to me? Does anyone here hunt public property on LI?

I dont know anyone locally that hunts to show me the ropes so I'm a little reluctant to do this, but I do want to hunt.

Any tips would be appreciated.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8373.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/40399.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/40414.html
    Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Shotgun is a very short season and by lottery.
      Bow hunting is different. There are spots that are first come first serve, and some you have to reserve by phone.
      SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

as always nothing is easy out here. i gave up on it in long island
        let's make america great again

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Russian View Post
          Shotgun is a very short season and by lottery.
          Bow hunting is different. There are spots that are first come first serve, and some you have to reserve by phone.
          I thought you were basically guaranteed a doe permit on LI?

I should have mentioned that this for the deer shotgun season.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig23 View Post

I thought you were basically guaranteed a doe permit on LI?

I should have mentioned that this for the deer shotgun season.
            Doe permits are almost guaranteed. Plus if you pop one and bring back to the DEC station they will give another one on the spot. Makes the rich folks happy that less of their expensive plantings will be eaten...
            SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Does anyone hunt public land here that can explain the process of choosing a spot to hunt and assuring that no one will pick a spot in my line of fire or that I won't be in their line of fire? Is it basically a shit show and you just have to be super careful and watch over your shoulder the whole time? Maybe this a closely guarded secret to keep newbies off of public land, which I understand.

Comment

Does anyone hunt public land here that can explain the process of choosing a spot to hunt and assuring that no one will pick a spot in my line of fire or that I won't be in their line of fire? Is it basically a shit show and you just have to be super careful and watch over your shoulder the whole time? Maybe this a closely guarded secret to keep newbies off of public land, which I understand.
                if hunting with a gun you should be wearing blaze orange and you should be able to see another hunter. you must also be sure nothing that can be hurt is behind the animal you are shooting at which im sure you know.
                the reason shotgun is used is because it will not go as far as hunting rifles.

unfortunately there is no guarantee someone will not be in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by Havfun View Post

if hunting with a gun you should be wearing blaze orange and you should be able to see another hunter. you must also be sure nothing that can be hurt is behind the animal you are shooting at which im sure you know.
                  the reason shotgun is used is because it will not go as far as hunting rifles.

unfortunately there is no guarantee someone will not be in your area.
                  That's what my concern is. That after I setup someone goes behind or in front of me. Though I would hope most hunters know what they are doing and wouldn't do this.

Comment

thats unfortunately what can happen if you do not own your own land.

Comment

The DEC shotgun season is highly regulated by parking spot numbers. You enter the lottery and pick A day, and A location to hunt. One Day, that's all you can book.. Some spots you need to check in at Ridge DEC station day of hunt, others they issue your permit on the spot, good for your allocated day. Otherwise, you can show up at the DEC station on day you want to hunt, and chose a spot that nobody has shown up for that day. Not all numbered spots are open to the lottery because DEC feels they may be too close together. You can hunt anywhere on that parcel, but cannot cross paved roads.. Just like hunting everywhere else, your responsible for wherever your shotgun slug winds up. If you have ANY doubt, you don't shoot, like everywhere else..
                      I've seen a few guys during the shotgun, but not many.. The weather is the gamble, 65 degrees or pouring rain, it's your day, no rain date..

Last edited by NYDeer; 08-02-2016, 03:35 PM.
                      Hunter, NRA Life Member, NYS Deplorable

🚄TrumpTrain2016🇺🇸.🇺🇸.🇺🇸

Pro Political Term Limits
                      Anti High Capacity Mag Limits
                      Fuck Andrew Cuomo's Suck my Ass Act

Comment

Originally posted by NYDeer View Post

The DEC shotgun season is highly regulated by parking spot numbers. You enter the lottery and pick A day, and A location to hunt. One Day, that's all you can book.. Some spots you need to check in at Ridge DEC station day of hunt, others they issue your permit on the spot, good for your allocated day. Otherwise, you can show up at the DEC station on day you want to hunt, and chose a spot that nobody has shown up for that day. Not all numbered spots are open to the lottery because DEC feels they may be too close together. You can hunt anywhere on that parcel, but cannot cross paved roads.. Just like hunting everywhere else, your responsible for wherever your shotgun slug winds up. If you have ANY doubt, you don't shoot, like everywhere else..
                        I've seen a few guys during the shotgun, but not many.. The weather is the gamble, 65 degrees or pouring rain, it's your day, no rain date..

Great information. Thank you.

Comment

.. The weather is the gamble, 65 degrees or pouring rain, it's your day, no rain date..
                          Or you could get lucky and have two feet of nice fluffy snow on the ground and be below zero...

SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Is there a link for the list of spots? A map?
                            The lottery process?

I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                            I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by Havfun View Post
                              thats unfortunately what can happen if you do not own your own land.
                              It can also happen if you own your own land. Upstate I occasionally get good ole' boys who are drinking "hunting" while trespassing despite posted signs, private gates and barb-wire fences. And I'm the last stop on top of a mountain, land-locked by 100s of acres of private land with the closest ATV trail miles away.

Down on LI I once had a delivery boy ask if he have permission bow hunt my property. No, dude. No.

But, OP your concern really comes into any area of hunting you do not have exclusively for yourself. At least shotgun is safer in some ways. In a desirable hunting area, even private land may give you some unexpected surprises. You can never know, which is why you hunt based on sight not sound, wear blaze, and adhere to all safety training.

Comment

Working...
                              X