South Dakota 2021 Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -vanguard- View Post
    You post pictures of gophers with their insides blown out and then a picture of you eating..steak?
    the prairie dogs carry bubonic plague... the cows don't....

Comment

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post

Thanks for the post and the pics. Sounds GREAT!
      I'm going to check into that guide group for next year after I am all-the-way retired.

What kind of glass are you using? I'm not familiar with 500-600 yard shooting so I have to get started working on setting that up now.
      See above post but to answer your question.... Vortex PST Gen 2, 5-25x50 FFP scopes.. MOA for the .223 and .243, MRAD for the 6.5CM's.

Comment

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post

the prairie dogs carry bubonic plague... the cows don't....
        ahh ok

Comment

I too asked myself, "Why?"

https://www.thefencepost.com/news/pr...-and-ranchers/

But when a prairie dog colony moves into a pasture, what they leave behind can be devastating for a landowner.

There are several reasons for this, Jackson said. When a prairie dog tunnels into the ground, it leaves behind deep holes, and if a cow or horse steps into them, the animal may break a leg and have to be put down.

Prairie dogs often carry fleas, which carry diseases — even some as grim as the sylvatic plague — which can be passed to livestock.

But the bottom line for ranchers like Jackson is competition — prairie dogs graze, just like cattle or sheep. In semi-arid climates like Colorado’s, where it’s tough enough to find the water to keep a pasture producing forage for a herd of cattle, a few thousand extra mouths to feed can ruin a ranch.
          ANY violation by ANY person of ANY provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor. - NYPL §400.00(15)
          Conspiracy in the sixth degree is a class B misdemeanor. - NYPL §105.00

Comment

Footnotes on rifle / caliber / ammo / scope choices...

I brought rifles in .223, .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor; one in each caliber for each of us. All rifles were equipped with Vortex PST Gen 2, 5-25x50 FFP scopes.

In the .223's we were shooting 55gr VMAX; the .223's were the easiest to shoot but the least effective. Putting the 35mph wind day aside, there is still enough wind to make the longer shots tough with .223; anything over 250 yards was quite challenging. We usually opened up on a town with .223 but once we nailed all of the closer ones, it was time to step up.

For the .243's, we were using Hornady Custom Lite Recoil 87gr VMAX. Those rounds through the Savage's with muzzle brakes had the recoil of a .223 but bucked the wind much better and made shots at 300+ much easier.

For the 6.5CM's, my son was shooting American Gunner 140gr BTHP's through a heavy barrel Savage with a muzzle brake; that rifle weighs almost 13 pounds and anything he aimed it at, he hit. I couldn't pry that gun out of his hands. I was shooting my new Bergara B14 HMR with Hornady 95gr VMAX through an Area419 Sidewinder muzzle brake. Between the lower weight bullets and the brake, recoil was substantially reduced and I had no problem spotting my hits or misses. That was my MVP rifle of the trip. On the last day, I used it exclusively. The action is buttery smooth and the gun is an absolute tack driver. Buying that rifle right before this trip was the best thing I could have done; it made that much of a difference.

So, do you need that much firepower to smoke a prairie dog? Absolutely not. But you gotta be able to hit 'em and 90 percent of the shots you're taking are between 225 and 700 yards in a 5-10 mph wind. At 350 yards, even at 25x magnification, those prairie dogs are no bigger than half of a pencil eraser and they're moving around.

We fired somewhere around 1,600 - 1,800 rounds between the two of us. I'll have an exact number when my leftover ammo returns home...
            Well... Thank you very much for the excuse to buy a new rifle. I do not have a Bergara B14 HMR, and it has become apparent to me that I need one, now.
            I'll really convince myself by noting that the Bergara rifle takes Remington 700 style scope mounts, and I have several high end scope mounts for R700's already, so the new rifle will save me a couple of hundred dollars in mounting cost! (see how I did that?)

Now on to picking out my glass.....

Why do we love rifles so much?????

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, (closed Sundays during Covid Apocalypse)

Comment

• SemiAutoFetish
              SemiAutoFetish commented
              Editing a comment
              Look at the bright side....moving to you new home down south will hopefully allow you to "afford and justify" the expenses

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post

Well... Thank you very much for the excuse to buy a new rifle. I do not have a Bergara B14 HMR, and it has become apparent to me that I need one, now.
            I'll really convince myself by noting that the Bergara rifle takes Remington 700 style scope mounts, and I have several high end scope mounts for R700's already, so the new rifle will save me a couple of hundred dollars in mounting cost! (see how I did that?)

Now on to picking out my glass.....

Why do we love rifles so much?????

And it takes standard AICS pattern mags... I bought a 10-rounder for the trip... that was very useful...

Comment

Originally posted by incognito View Post
              I too asked myself, "Why?"

https://www.thefencepost.com/news/pr...-and-ranchers/

But when a prairie dog colony moves into a pasture, what they leave behind can be devastating for a landowner.

There are several reasons for this, Jackson said. When a prairie dog tunnels into the ground, it leaves behind deep holes, and if a cow or horse steps into them, the animal may break a leg and have to be put down.

Prairie dogs often carry fleas, which carry diseases — even some as grim as the sylvatic plague — which can be passed to livestock.

But the bottom line for ranchers like Jackson is competition — prairie dogs graze, just like cattle or sheep. In semi-arid climates like Colorado’s, where it’s tough enough to find the water to keep a pasture producing forage for a herd of cattle, a few thousand extra mouths to feed can ruin a ranch.
              I was going to ask if this was done to clean out animals that destroy crops or something or for pelts and meat since I am not familiar with prairie dog hunting. So, another question. Do you just shoot them and leave them there or does someone pick them up after they are dead?
              "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
              Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
              Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post

I was going to ask if this was done to clean out animals that destroy crops or something or for pelts and meat since I am not familiar with prairie dog hunting. So, another question. Do you just shoot them and leave them there or does someone pick them up after they are dead?
                Oh yeah, somebody picks them up alright! Coyotes, Badgers, Wolverines, Buzzards, etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post

They are a nuisance rodent. They dig holes everywhere and literally mow down the grass where livestock are supposed to graze. Many of the ranchers poison them to keep the population from exploding although this year there was a plague that wiped out a lot of prairie dog towns. You definitely cannot eat them or even touch them; the fleas on them can carry bubonic plague. Prairie dog shooting is mainly for sport but also helps the ranchers.

Comment

Originally posted by raceradam View Post

Oh yeah, somebody picks them up alright! Coyotes, Badgers, Wolverines, Buzzards, etc., etc.
                    Yes we leave them there. They get picked up by all of the above plus rattlesnakes.

Comment

vegan and PETA friendly???
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Comment

Final rounds fired counts:

.223 - 500
                        .243 - 400
                        6.5CM / 140gr - 300
                        6.5CM / 96gr - 400

Total: 1,600

I forgot to mention that our host is an FFL with a hookup with Fiocchi who happened to send him 10,000 rounds of subsonic .22LR ammo that he really had no use for. He sent me home with a few bricks.
                        Last edited by HyFiveGuns; 06-12-2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• SemiAutoFetish
                          SemiAutoFetish commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Was a good trip either way!

Glad you had a great time with your son . It’s on my to do list. Going to have to do some long range shooting and see if my guns and I are up to the task.

Comment

Yo smoking something the size of a prairie dog at 670yards is wild. 431 is nothing to sneeze at either.

espwcially with no range flags to help estimate wind down there vs a wind meter at your point.
                          High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Final rounds fired counts:

.223 - 500
                            .243 - 400
                            6.5CM / 140gr - 300
                            6.5CM / 96gr - 400

Total: 1,600

I forgot to mention that our host is an FFL with a hookup with Fiocchi who happened to send him 10,000 rounds of subsonic .22LR ammo that he really had no use for. He sent me home with a few bricks.
                            And you will be offering them for sale in 3, 2, ... ?

Comment

Working...
                            X