6.5 Creedmoor Availability & Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Creedmoor Availability & Thoughts

With exception of my carbines I’ve always been a strict 308 adherent in rifle.

I find myself in need of a new hunting rifle and of my picks the choices are slim to none in 308.

I can however find the rifle I like in 6.5 Creedmoor. Are you guys seeing any 6.5 (hunting spec) ammo on local shelves at reasonable prices ? I traditionally use Target Sports and there is nothing. I’d need some variety to properly test and zero.

what are your general thoughts regarding the 6.5? Everything I read generally says better than 308, adopted by hunters and shooters and here to stay.

nonetheless, if I can’t get my hands on it what’s the point?

In the alternative I am thinking about a Christensen Arms Mesa in 308. It’s a little heavier and a little more money but I handled one and liked it. I have plenty of ammo for it as well.

I've been in the same boat. Looking at new rifles and leaning towards 6.5 creedmore. TSU is out but it's been getting some regularly but it sells out quick. Most are 1.40 to 1.75 cpr. Usually Winchester and federal hunting loads which have done well for me in 308.

Comment

I would ask " Where would you be hunting " ? Max range ? Open country or heavy forest ? Strictly hunting up state a 308 or even 30 06 would be best imho . Also more ammo availability .

Comment

Upstate. 0-200 yards maybe I’ll stretch it one day but not yet. I prefer 308. Just not seeing what I’d like in 308. Yes there are 308’s out there but not anything I’m interested in. So I’m considering a 6.5. If I can’t find ammo timely then I’m stuck with a rifle that I rather not go into the woods with.

Comment

• Patriot1965
          Patriot1965 commented
          Editing a comment
          theres nothing in new york state a .308 wont take down out to 400 yards....everyone jumped on the 6.5 like it was a new sliced bread invention....just like every year or so some new caliber comes out and is supposed to be better than anything before..every industry has new products like that to create more sales....and if you want to go to longer distance the 30.06 is perfect.....but if you have money to burn, then buy what you want...

• Whitefoot
          Whitefoot commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree here. Obviously your budget is not a concern if your looking at Christensen Arms rifles. Buy what you want but I would always encourage shooter's. to add different calibers to their collections and the do all everything rifle would be the 30 06

• Patriot1965
          Patriot1965 commented
          Editing a comment
          the OP answered his own question..the availability of certain calibers....308 and 30.06 have been around for many decades and the amount of it is out there, while the 6.5 is new, limited and expensive...

Under 300 yards would use .308. More than that I would consider 6.5 Creedmoor. If I had no rifle and wanted to pick one I would probably go with 6.5 Creedmoor. Both will certainly drop anything smaller than a moose.

Comment

Had a Surgeon Scalpel in 6.5, was a beauty, custom built by Dave Twomey, wore an AICS AX Chassis, when I bought it I grabbed 1000 of a Hornady 143 amax for $900 at the time
          sold the rifle, have nowhere to shoot 1000 yds plus which she was capable of, hell 200+ is an issue for me. Sold the ammo for $1.25 a round, had over 900 left, that ammo is now $1.75 or so if you can find it.
          Have a GAP in .308, I’ll never get rid of, have ammo, have components, great rifle to 300yds and more.
          Unless going LR no “need” for 6.5 but to each his own

Comment

K, 6.5 Ammo is scarce.. Not going to work for me. Thanks. Ill have to hang back a little longer and see if a 308 becomes available.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPaul13 View Post
              I've been in the same boat. Looking at new rifles and leaning towards 6.5 creedmore. TSU is out but it's been getting some regularly but it sells out quick. Most are 1.40 to 1.75 cpr. Usually Winchester and federal hunting loads which have done well for me in 308.
              I'm thinking about selling my Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5CM to buy the Wilderness model... if that interests you, PM me... it's an awesome rifle...

Comment

• BigPaul13
                BigPaul13 commented
                Editing a comment
                Appreciate the offer but I've been looking into a light weight rifle/build. Those rifles are nice but I'm looking for something a few pounds lighter (for now atleast).

• HyFiveGuns
                HyFiveGuns commented
                Editing a comment
                The Wilderness series is the updated version of the B14 series. They have hand painted stocks that have an aluminum chassis molded in. The various models within the series all have the same action, trigger and barrel. The differences between models are in the stocks and magazines. The Bergara rifles are outstanding. My B14 HMR is incredibly accurate and the action cycles like it’s on ball bearings. The embedded chassis makes the rifle heavy and very stable. I want a wilderness model because I love the look of the camo stock and would like the slightly longer barrel. But I have loved shooting the B14 I have and if I can’t sell it, I still might buy the wilderness model anyway.

• HyFiveGuns
                HyFiveGuns commented
                Editing a comment
                PS. The Ridge model has an American style stock and hinged floor plate versus a magazine.

I have 2 rifles in 6.5cm. 1 of them being a RPR. Love the gun and the 6.5cm. Haven’t really had the chance to test it’s true potential. Ammo is getting harder to find, but worth it in my opinion.

Comment

Easier to find than 357 magnum at least.

Comment

6.5 has significantly less recoil than .308.

6.5 is good to 600 yds, but the nearest range that you can sight in is near Scranton PA.

Hunting ammo: Best deals are on Gunbroker -- for Norma Whitetail 140 gn JSP -- around $1.50/rd. You can reload with ELD-X for around 80 cents, and get an equivalent to $2.50/rd of Hornady Precision Hunter.

I have two, but I think the best for the money is the T/C Compass II at around $350. Gives you sub-MOA out of the box. Look for rebates in October.

Comment

• 67Builder
                    67Builder commented
                    Editing a comment
                    6.5 is good to well over 1200 yds. I’ve hit 12” steel at 1200 yds pretty reliably, and I’m certainly the limiting factor in the rifle/shooter relationship.

I ended up finding a Tikka T3x Lite Compact 308 at a good price. Checked all the boxes and have ammo on hand. It made the most sense given all factors. I may check out the 6.5 if and when things normalize. Tons of 6.5 rifles on shelves and online.

Comment

Was doubtful about the 6.5 as a hunter cartridge, until my son shot a 300lb Black Bear with one. It didn't even run 20 yds when it dropped dead. I was widly surprised by it's performance. And out of his Ruger RPR, there's way less recoil than my .308 rifle.
                    Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
                    Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

• Mike103
                      Mike103 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good to get a real life report on black bear with the 6.5. I always wonder if it would be enough gun for bear.

I was out to dinner with two older guys, my age, who just love the 6.5. Light weight and no recoil.

Originally posted by JLVPS View Post
                    I ended up finding a Tikka T3x Lite Compact 308 at a good price. Checked all the boxes and have ammo on hand. It made the most sense given all factors. I may check out the 6.5 if and when things normalize. Tons of 6.5 rifles on shelves and online.
                    Big fan of Tikka.... good luck with it!

Comment

Well, my Tikka purchase fell through. It was not In-Stock after all..

I thought I'd solicit opinions with respect to Browning X Bolt vs Christensen Arms Mesa. Anyone here have experience with either one?

Comment

• Scottso
                        Scottso commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Experience with neither, Surgeon, and GAP I can highly recommend

• JLVPS
                        JLVPS commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bless your rifle budget.
                    Working...
                    X