Official 2021 Deer Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official 2021 Deer Hunting Thread

All packed and ready to go. Leaving in the morning for Hancock area. Got DMP tags for 4W , 3N and 7R. Going with 3 NYPD officers and rented a nice log cabin for a week . Should be interesting . Will post my deer pic Saturday

I've been up for crossbow in 3J several times for the past 2 weeks. I'm going up again tomorrow in a last ditch effort to get a deer before the woods light up with gunfire Saturday morning. We've been having a great time seeing all the nice deer that would have been an easy kill with a rifle. Last year during crossbow I had 9 opportunities for easy kills If I had a rifle. This year the count is similar. Come Saturday morning all of those deer will be dead or simply disappear. maddening.. Good luck everyone

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
      All packed and ready to go. Leaving in the morning for Hancock area. Got DMP tags for 4W , 3N and 7R. Going with 3 NYPD officers and rented a nice log cabin for a week . Should be interesting . Will post my deer pic Saturday
      Drive fast, take chances.

Comment

How do you like that area? Came accross a property that I like the looks of in Hancock, plan on trying to check it out later during rifle season. Good luck on the hunt.

Comment

• FastPhil
          FastPhil commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing much changed in 40 years except the deer population is nothing like when I started hunting up there.

• bigbore44
          bigbore44 commented
          Editing a comment
          Statistically, Hancock was always known for giving up a large number of bucks, AND with big racks as well, but like Phil stated, not so much anymore. Same for Deposit just to the West. Very nice area though.

Hey good luck Phil, fill them tags. Life got in the way this year and I'm not heading up until early Monday morning. We've got 2 4W's and a 3N too. After last years debacle I've vowed never to return to Putnam County so my brother will have to fill that by himself.

Comment

Getting screwed at work. "Needs of the operation" bullshit, so gonna miss this one. Good luck to all that make up. I think there's even a covering of snow already?

Comment

• FastPhil
            FastPhil commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s sucks. 43 years deer hunting and only missed 1 opening day due to new job

• bigbore44
            bigbore44 commented
            Editing a comment
            I missed the last few with my fathers medical issues, and now I get screwed at work, after 17yrs in.

All packed up also. Leaving in the am. Checking out some property for sale on the way up too. Maybe something good will come of it. Good luck to all and looking forward to seeing some pics and reading stories this weekend.

Comment

Got a doe two weeks ago in 3m, won’t be out opening weekend. Definitely will be out thanksgiving weekend.

Ryan

Comment

Way up in Potter Co PA having fun with the end of archery season. Even using my non NYS compliant crossbow finally

Just got about an inch of snow overnight, so it ought to be interesting later this morning. Best of luck to all!

Regards ---------

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Well after 48 years in a friends house in Deleware county we are on our own in a Airbnb.

After being on the market for several years he was able to sell his house because of covid and he moved to Florida permanently. He is in the middle of building his house so he won’t be returning this year. Hopefully next year.

Nice house not too far from our hunting property. I could see us in this house every year. But still looking for more land and/ or a house if the right deal came along. Prices are still insane.

Going out for the last day of Xbow with my brother and Friday evening the rest of my gang will be arriving.

Not the same though. Things change. Not always for the better.

Comment

CF9531EC-73F5-467B-8452-AC9D094F9D80.jpg Just had a little buck, same one I saw last week walk by.

Comment

going up today. me and my son both got deer during archery/crossbow
                    let's make america great again

Comment

May you have a bountiful and safe hunt. 3 NYPD officers? Make yourself the designated RSO.
                      Last edited by Vitaman; 11-19-2021, 10:23 AM.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Comment

• LI Ammo
                        LI Ammo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agreed! At least one person on the trip will have firearms experience.

• FastPhil
                        FastPhil commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well 2 have more experience than you or me could ever imagine

My best friend of 50 years tasked me once again with cleaning a few pistols yesterday during some downtime. He is a retired NYPD who REALLY hates to clean them or maybe won't admit he lacks the knowledge to do so.

Cleaned my first and only Glock. Was so much easier than his Ruger Mark 2.

Still snowing here up in God's Country. We're heading back for Thanksgiving week tomorrow. Firearms starts the 27th and we will be up for two weeks.

Saw a few bucks this morning, but alas they stayed out of range for now.

Regards ---------

Comment

All tucked away in my Airbnb getting ready for opening day tomorrow. We are in 4F. Hope springs eternal.

Comment

• bigbore44
                          bigbore44 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My place is in 4F, and the signs by me have been very optimistic this year. I will post some of my trail cam pix when I get to my laptop. At least the third year in a row, that I have had at least one of each, 2,4,6, and 8 pointers on a regular basis.

• Genghis Khan
                          Genghis Khan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Didn’t see anything today, but there are plenty of signs (hoof prints and poop).
                      Working...
                      X