Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rep. Don Beyer: 'Just Silly' to Talk About Gun Confiscation

Rep. Don Beyer: 'Just Silly' to Talk About Gun Confiscation

(CNSNews.com) - "No one out there is talking about disarming the American people," Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.) said on Tuesday. "It's almost just silly to think that you have 350 million guns -- how would you even begin and and why would you want to do that?"

Beyer, interviewed on CSPAN, also said the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear arms "from the militia perspective," but he also said, "There's nothing in the Constitution that says gun manufacturers have a right to manufacture guns. That's a -- you know, you can maybe leap to that, but they are not mentioned in the Constitution."

Beyer recently introduced legislation to strengthen the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives by exempting its director from Senate confirmation and by removing other "limitations" on ATF's operations. He discussed his ATF Enforcement Act Tuesday morning on CSPAN.

"So many of us are trying to find ways forward on gun safety," Beyer said, noting that 30,000 people die annually from gunshots. "And we struggle about ways to go forward, especially in a Congress where the majority of members, at least in the House, are paying great attention to what the NRA says."

Beyer said there is nothing in President Obama's recent executive orders that prevents someone from selling a gun or giving your gun to your brother or leaving guns to your heirs.

"And certainly, I don't see any legislation, any executive order, anything that seizes a gun from any American." Beyer said the notion of gun confiscation is "just a myth."

But a CSPAN caller reminded Beyer that Democrat Hillary Clinton, on the campaign trail in New Hampshire in October, called Australia's gun confiscation law an example "worth looking at."

Beyer said he assumes Clinton was just "being polite to someone who asked her a question about it," not that she was making "a commitment or an agreement."

"You know, I think we should be looking at every country to see what they're doing, positive and negative," Beyer said. "Not that what Australia did would ever work in this country -- culturally, historically we're so different."

Australia in 1996 instituted a mandatory gun buy-back program for semi-automatic and automatic weapons.

In October, Hillary Clinton noted that Australia acted after a mass killing, and "they believed, and I think the evidence supports them, that by offering to buy back those guns they were able to, you know, curtail the supply and to set a different standard for gun purchases in the future."

Clinton also said she thinks "it would be worth considering" doing something similar "on the national level" in the United States -- "if that could be arranged."

"So I think that's worth considering. I don't know enough details to tell you how we would do it or how it would work, but certainly the Australian example is worth looking at," Clinton said at the time.

Immediately after discussing Hillary Clinton's comments, Beyer told CSPAN: "On the Second Amendment, by the way, we have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms, um, from the militia perspective. There's nothing in the Constitution that says gun manufacturers have a right to manufacture guns. That's a -- you know, you can maybe leap to that, but they are not mentioned in the Constitution."

Beyer said his bill would enforce current gun laws "by making sure that the ATF is robust."

Asked to define robust, Beyer mentioned more funding and more ATF agents.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...n-confiscation
    Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

I'm sure Conservative media and congressmen will find a way to cry foul on him saying make the ATF more robust, even if it is to help their favorite 2A argument of "enforce what we have". They'll never let it happen which just highlights how little they actually want to take up enforcing current laws.

Comment

Originally posted by paté View Post
      Beyer said there is nothing in President Obama's recent executive orders that prevents someone from selling a gun or giving your gun to your brother or leaving guns to your heirs.

So, when a gun owner dies, what alternative would you propose besides confiscation?!!

Dipshit.
      To be human is to be armed.

Comment

Originally posted by wdeister08 View Post
        I'm sure Conservative media and congressmen will find a way to cry foul on him saying make the ATF more robust, even if it is to help their favorite 2A argument of "enforce what we have". They'll never let it happen which just highlights how little they actually want to take up enforcing current laws.
        You are entitled to your opinion, although I vehemently disagree with it. You think that giving an agency that sold drug cartels guns, then tried to cover it up when they lost all control over it, and one of their weapons killed a federal law enforcement agent should have less oversight? Would you have a problem with oversight if the dems had a majority in both houses? You claim that conservatives won't like an "exempt from oversight ATF," because we really don't want gun laws enforced? Have you ever perused the percentage of crime committed by "Licensed Gun Owner's?" It is a myth that we don't want the law enforced, we really do. Why, because the stats, right from the FBI, prove what the progressive left wants to deny. Why do the cities with the most stringent gun bans, like Chicago, NYC, and D.C. have the highest gun violence? Why does a state like Floria that eased CCW permitting have a precipitous drop in gun violence, that continues to fall every year? I respect your right to your opinion, but if you really looked at the facts, you might be surprised.
        NRA Benefactor Life
        NRA Instructor & RSO
        NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

Comment

Originally posted by MSA77 View Post

You are entitled to your opinion, although I vehemently disagree with it. You think that giving an agency that sold drug cartels guns, then tried to cover it up when they lost all control over it, and one of their weapons killed a federal law enforcement agent should have less oversight? Would you have a problem with oversight if the dems had a majority in both houses? You claim that conservatives won't like an "exempt from oversight ATF," because we really don't want gun laws enforced? Have you ever perused the percentage of crime committed by "Licensed Gun Owner's?" It is a myth that we don't want the law enforced, we really do. Why, because the stats, right from the FBI, prove what the progressive left wants to deny. Why do the cities with the most stringent gun bans, like Chicago, NYC, and D.C. have the highest gun violence? Why does a state like Floria that eased CCW permitting have a precipitous drop in gun violence, that continues to fall every year? I respect your right to your opinion, but if you really looked at the facts, you might be surprised.
          Florida gun violence has risen in direct correlation to an easing on restrictions. NyC has one of thelowest per capita gun crime rates in the US, Chicago and DC doesnt even crack the top 10. These are facts you can verify in about 3 google clicks.

According to the FBI as of October 2015, Violent Crime per big city (pops over 250k):
          Detroit, Michigan 1988.63
          Memphis, Tennessee 1740.51
          Oakland, California 1685.39
          St. Louis, Missouri 1678.73
          Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1476.41
          Baltimore, Maryland 1338.54
          Cleveland, Ohio 1334.35
          Stockton, California 1331.47
          Indianapolis, Indiana 1254.66
          Kansas City, Missouri 1251.45

Comment

One of the best set of laws you could enact is universal background checks and microstamping. Anytime a firearm is transferred from one non-immediate family member to another, there should be a background check. How do guns get into the hands of criminals, by those legally allowed to buy them. Straw purchasers. I think if a person had a reasonable fear, that when they buy someone a pistol and hand it to them, that should that pistol be used in a crime where the gun is fired, they would have that gun traced back you would see a drop in illegal gun violence.

I understand the argument, criminals dont follow laws so what does it matter. Microstamping makes it matter for any person who illegally transfers a gun to someone else. Again, if you pass a gun to me and I pass a NICS check, you're free and clear regardless. But if you know I can't pass one and you give that gun to me, you would be very concerned about my intentions because it becomes YOUR ass on the line.

Comment

• Barnslayer
              Barnslayer commented
              Editing a comment
              Where did you get the idea background checks or microstamping would prevent a thug from blowing your brains out?

• wdeister08
              wdeister08 commented
              Editing a comment
              Last edited by wdeister08; 05-12-2016, 09:37 PM. Reason: Wrong comment

If the NICS system worked like it is theoretically supposed to - anyone you wouldnt want having a gun doesnt get one legally - almost any other law becomes harder to defend. Why are pistol permits able to hold up to judicial review? Because you cannot make a strong argument that, that initial check will cover all the important bases. We all know it, all of these mass shootings involve mentally ill people flying under the radar of an NICS background check. One of the only exceptions is Newtown, only stronger mental health laws and checks have a chance at preventing that one.

Comment

Florida gun violence has risen in direct correlation to an easing on restrictions. NyC has one of thelowest per capita gun crime rates in the US, Chicago and DC doesnt even crack the top 10. These are facts you can verify in about 3 google clicks.

According to the FBI as of October 2015, Violent Crime per big city (pops over 250k):
              Cleveland, Ohio 1334.35
              Total bullshit.
              Police say most of the violence was contained to a few pockets in the city.
              Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

• wdeister08
                wdeister08 commented
                Editing a comment
                Doesn't mean it pushes Chicago into the top 10

• Barnslayer
                Barnslayer commented
                Editing a comment
                So, when are you going on vacation there?
                Between this slanted data and your stance on microstamping, I gotta wonder…. whose side are you on?
                I'm getting Capt Wiki flashbacks.

As far as the 'ATF robust' argument. Fast and furious is a pox on both liberal and conservative administrations. I'm not sure where more robust equals decrease oversight. Maybe the member said it and I missed it, which would be dumb. I took robust to mean increase funding, stop playing politics with an important position in law enforcement and allow the ATF to get to work doing what they're built for.

Comment

• Barnslayer
                Barnslayer commented
                Editing a comment
                Fast and Furious was a premeditated and illegal action taken by the democrat oblamer administration with the Kenyan-in-chief's full blessings. It's goal was to create a wave of crime whereby the pResident could point his rectum-scented finger at the American firearms involved.
                How do you figure it as a pox on the conservatives?

• wdeister08
                wdeister08 commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol George Bush started Fast and Furious in 06. That's so common onowledge I have to wonder whether you actually read beyond the Breitbart hradline

• Finicky Fat Guy
                Finicky Fat Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, the GWB administration did have a similar program but it wasn't the same. They had the cooperation of Mexico, they had tracking devices on the firearms, and they stopped the program after realizing it was stupid. Only 450 firearms were transferred during the Bush program, as opposed to over 2,000 during the Obama administration.

Note:
                "Under the previous Operation Wide Receiver, there had been a formal ATF contract with the cooperating gun dealer and efforts were made to involve the ATF Mexico City Office (MCO) and Mexican law enforcement. Under Operation Fast and Furious, at Newell's insistence the cooperating gun dealers did not have contracts with ATF, and MCO and Mexican police were left in the dark." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gu..._Wide_Receiver

Also, in NY we had a micro stamping like program where every gun sold had to have fired shell casings sent to the state for registration. Not one single case was solved using that data. It doesn't work.

What the fuck am I reading?

Micro stamping? Are you so full of fucking shit that you completely leave out how cobis was the biggest waste of shit NY ever did? Micro stamping can be erased with revolvers or even a file.

Your stats are also complete slanted shit too. When I'm free I'm gonna blow your horse shit out of the water.

Btw nobody makes a direct correlation to gun laws to gun crimes not even the dept of justice because you can't make the direct correlation for either case.

Comment

• Idiocracy
                Idiocracy commented
                Editing a comment
                Took the words right out of my mouth. I can't believe the garbage I am reading. This character is do full of his own crap it's rediculous. I'd love to hear how more laws will lower crime. Because the ones on the books are working so well. Idiot.

Btw, your avatar if hysterical.

Cleveland, Ohio 1334.35
              So you're saying cities with significant gun control which has a high black race make up has high rates of gun crimes??? Who fucking knew??? What dumb shit.

I mean here you go for Detroit gun laws:

http://www.legallyarmedindetroit.com...-michigan.html

How's your stupid fucking list looking now? Your number one death city has some of the most background checks and forms to fill out to even buy a gun….

Now you want to bring up Florida… ok lets look at Florida's homicide rate the past few years al la FBI crime statistics (Table 5) since you want to bury yourself (and florida ccw licenses http://www.freshfromflorida.com/cont...987-1988.pdf):

Violent Crime 107,521
              Murder 1,149
              CCW licenses 1.3M

Violent Crime 91,983
              Murder 972
              CCW licenses 1.1M

Violent Crime 94,087
              Murder 1,009
              CCW licenses 952K

Violent Crime 98,199
              Murder 984
              CCW licenses 831K

Violent Crime 101,969
              Murder 987
              CCW licenses 739K

Violent Crime 113,541
              Murder 1,017
              CCW licenses 591K

Violent Crime 126,265
              Murder 1,168
              CCW licenses 511K

Violent Crime 131,880
              Murder 1,201
              CCW licenses 438K

Violent Crime 128,795
              Murder 1,129
              CCW licenses 384K

Violent Crime 125,957
              Murder 883
              CCW licenses 347K

So what can we garner from this information….

Well the number of CCW holders increased by 274% since 2005 yet the violent crime rate decreased by 14%.

The murder rate although one can try to make a case that the increase in CCW licenses had an impact in an increase murders the numbers bounce DOWN particularly during 2007 - 2011 and again between 2012-2013 while the CCW licenses were literally skyrocketing.

So this whole…. direct correlation you're trying to make is fucking hot garbage when you look at the numbers in a timeline.

So you wanna talk gun control? Well someone already looked at the Brady Campaign's top states with gun control and he did a nice little video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUUIGf4ll4g

So take that bullshit and shove it…. see my avatar.

Last edited by mossy930spx; 05-12-2016, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Cleveland, Ohio 1334.35
                Talks specifically about gun restrictions.

Posts "Violent Crime per big city" (not specifically gun -related murders or incidents)

Calls them "facts".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is virtually impossible to figure out shooting incident totals for a city using the Uniform Crime Reporting Program, a system run by the FBI to help police departments across the country track patterns in violent crime and property crime. Although the system does provide a repository for comparing crime trends throughout the country, it has a few shortcomings: Publicly available UCR statistics count victims rather than incidents, they do not differentiate between murders by firearm and those with other causes, and they count all aggravated assaults the same regardless of what weapon was used.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...-gun-violence/

Comment

• Barnslayer
                  Barnslayer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In other words, for the sake of wdeister08, those cities on your list may have the highest taxpayer relief shot rates in the nation. If so, what's your problem?

• Destro
                  Destro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't follow what you're saying my problem is? Pointing out that claiming a gun restriction correlation and then posting non-gun specific crime stats is highly misleading and inaccurate (also see follow up article in how the stats work). Liberal reasoning at it's finest.

Troll Alert. Everybody is entitled to they opinion, but considering the last month's activities, someone appears spouting liberal talking points? First posts attacking conservatives? Something smells rotten!
                NRA Benefactor Life
                NRA Instructor & RSO
                NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

Comment

Troll , just go choke on your anti bs ,micro stamping that there is some funny as shit, you ever look at a firing pin, smart gun technology is a great idea too if you are a liberal little flying monkey doucher

Comment

• LazyLab
                    LazyLab commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like that! 👍

Originally posted by MSA77 View Post
                  Troll Alert. Everybody is entitled to they opinion, but considering the last month's activities, someone appears spouting liberal talking points? First posts attacking conservatives? Something smells rotten!
                  My apologies. I forgot this was a safe little bubble space where you never had to read a dissenting opinion.

Comment

• Finicky Fat Guy
                    Finicky Fat Guy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We're ok with dissenting opinions. We just like them to based on facts and not BS.

• wdeister08
                    wdeister08 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mossy where did I ever whine about dissenting opinions? I clearly know I am in the minority here in that I actually want to make an effort to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, i guess a constructive debate on how to do that is out of the question. My bad.

• mossy930spx
                    mossy930spx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    your whole stance is fucking retarded. You're a NY liberal gun owner who has no fucking idea what it takes to stop crime.

You commit a violent crime you do long term sentences. Especially with guns involved. The liberal legal system and prosecuting attorneys reduce sentences and have these people back on the streets with MULTIPLE repeat violent offenses.

Your solution is to burden legal law abiding citizens further... which has been proven at every turning point to NOT work. Pull your shit together.

I love how you completely wont address my detailed post on why you suck at life.
                Working...
                X