Trump Shifts on Gun Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump Shifts on Gun Control

Trump Shifts on Gun Control, Asks Federal Commission to Decide on Raising Rifle Purchase Age

by AWR Hawkins12 Mar 20184,550
    Joe Raedle/Getty Images/AFP
    This shift comes after weeks of NRA opposition against raising the minimum purchase age and two days after the NRA filed suit against Florida for raising their minimum rifle purchase age to 21.

At 9 pm Sunday night the Associated Press reported, “In a move sure to please the powerful gun lobby, [the plan in response to school shootings] does not include a push to increase the minimum age for purchasing assault weapons to 21. That’s a step President Donald Trump has repeatedly championed.” Any decision on raising the age now falls to a federal commission that “will examine the age issue, as well as a long list of others topics, as part of a longer-term look at school safety and violence.”

The Washington Post reports that the commission will be chaired by Education Secretary Betsy Devos.

On Monday morning Trump explained that the shift and subsequent delay on raising minimum rifle purchase age is intended to give time to “[watch] court cases and rulings before acting.”

AWR Hawkins is an award-winning Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News, the host of the Breitbart podcast Bullets with AWR Hawkins, and the writer/curator of Down Range with AWR Hawkins, a weekly newsletter focused on all things Second Amendment, also for Breitbart News. He is the political analyst for Armed American Radio. Follow him on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com. Sign up to get Down Range at breitbart.com/downrange.
    Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

If anyone knows WTF he was smoking when he even suggested that, I'd love to know. The fact that he even put it out there was treasonous to everything he campaigned on.

Comment

He’s always working an angle. Everyone needs to chill. He’s playing games with the left, not being treasonous. What’s said and done are 2 different things. It’s an election year don’t forget.
      All aboard the Trump train............................................. ....

Comment

Originally posted by FMJ View Post
        He’s always working an angle. Everyone needs to chill. He’s playing games with the left, not being treasonous. What’s said and done are 2 different things. It’s an election year don’t forget.
        Yep, that's how he rolls. He initially comes out with what seems like some really, strong, radical statement. Many times seemingly taking the lefts side. Then he uses that to draw them in as a starting point to negotiate what he really wants. He's done that throughout his entire term so far, DACA, tax reform, tariffs, North Korea, etc. So why is everyone always so shocked at first, then loves his plan at the end? Take a chill pill, and sit back and watch the show. It's the best reality tv out there.
        Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
        Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

I love the excuse-making and Trump-splaining. He's already grabbed more guns than Obama (which was zero). The Obama ATF was just fine with bump stocks.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-machine-guns/

In the post-Parkland hysteria, President Trump directed the Department of Justice to perform some regulatory legerdemain where bump fire stocks are concerned. The ATF had long ago passed on the stocks, deeming them perfectly legal accessories for semi-automatic rifles. Now, in a Saturday morning move apparently meant to fly under the radar . . .
          The U.S. Department of Justice formally submitted a regulation on Saturday to ban “bump stocks,” a modification to high-capacity rifles that lets them fire like an automatic weapon.

President Donald Trump signed a memorandum in February directing the department to make the regulatory change, which must now be approved by the Office of Management and Budget before it is published and subject to a commentary period.

In the post-Parkland hysteria, President Trump directed the Department of Justice to perform some regulatory legerdemain where bump fire stocks are concerned. The ATF had long ago passed on the stocks, deeming them perfectly legal accessories for semi-automatic rifles. Now, in a Saturday morning move apparently meant to fly under the radar . . . …
          Last edited by BLAMMO!!; 03-13-2018, 07:52 AM.
          No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Regards,
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post
            I love the excuse-making and Trump-splaining. He's already grabbed more guns than Obama (which was zero). The Obama ATF was just fine with bump stocks.
            I'm very cncerned about the rhetoic right now but I agree with FMJ
            Originally posted by FMJ View Post
            Just like I didn't believe Obama when he said " If you like your health plan you can keep your health plan" or more to this issue ""We're a nation that believes in the Second Amendment, and I believe in the Second Amendment"
            I don't think he wants to ban shit beyond bump stocks. I want to wait until he actually does something because he does have a habit of making an outrageous statement then modifying it. So I want to see what he does.

Sadly, things have changed and not for the better. Bump stocks were a non issue during Obama's term. The Las Vegas psycho changed that.
            Polls indicate a whopping 82% of Americans want bump stocks banned. That's an almost unheard of # on an issue.
            IMO Bump stocks are a loophole. If automatic weapons are already banned and this makes a semi automatic weapon fire like an automatic weapon then it seems easy and even logical that they can ban them.

Trump says he supports raising the age. But he's dragging his feet. Sadly polls show almost 70% of Americans want the age raised.
            The sheep are scared and herding. The only tactic a smart opponent can play in that issue right now is delay. He's also trying to pass it to the states and to congress. He's ducking a shitty issue. I listened to the press conference yesterday and Sanders kept stressing that it's up to congress and they are watching the law suits before deciding and making a committee.
            Can you think of any better delaying tactics then say it's up to Congress, you want to put it to a committee and wait for law suits to run it's course?

So that's my Trumpsplaining. I want to see what he actually does.
            Bumpstcks are a foregone conclusion. Anyone thinking that could be beat is delusional.

Last edited by Aquabach; 03-13-2018, 08:48 AM.
            Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

Because 21 year olds and older never commit crimes with firearms. Oh wait.

Because kids younger than 18 don't get their hands on firearms illegally. Oh wait.

Because delaying the purchasing age will deter criminals. Oh wait.

I can keep going. The knee jerk reactions and general stupidity surrounding firearms never ceases to amaze me.
              “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Calm down.

Yea I don't like it either. But this is politics. It's reality.

For the 21, you gotta admit kids today are IDIOTS compared to how you and I were at that age. Not happy about raising the age to 21 but I can accept it. As long as that doesn't also ban the supervised use of a firearm like youth hunting or at a range.

For the bump stock, it's a gimmick. We all know that. My only concern is the wording that may also eventually apply to ANY after market triggers or gunsmith trigger work.

I assure you if Hillary were President then even without FL there would be broad bans and restrictions faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar beyond this.

And as said before, Trump always works an angle. He knows his base is very strong pro-2A. He can't afford to PO them.
                I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post
                  Calm down.

For the 21, you gotta admit kids today are IDIOTS compared to how you and I were at that age.

Not happy about raising the age to 21 but I can accept it. As long as that doesn't also ban the supervised use of a firearm like youth hunting or at a range.

And as said before, Trump always works an angle. He knows his base is very strong pro-2A. He can't afford to PO them.
                  In your day kids were getting into cars and driving them full speed at each other and taking wagers on who would pull out first.

They might not have been eating tide pods, but they were still doing hard drugs, getting into fights, committing crimes, and all the other dumb shit kids do.
                  We just have this dilemma that is known as social media that sensationalizes "challenges" for instant gratification of world encouragement. If you had social media in your day to the extent we have it today, your generation would be doing the same damn shit because it appeals to human nature, peer pressure and popularity.

Accepting raising the age to 21 is accepting that hundreds of thousands, if not millions of young Americans will not be afforded the opportunity to protect themselves which could ultimately cost some degree of that population their lives.
                  A sunny day
                  A shotgun and a Chevrolet
                  Wouldn't you like that?

Comment

Originally posted by viper720 View Post

In your day kids were getting into cars and driving them full speed at each other and taking wagers on who would pull out first.
                    LOL! I'm not that old!

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

LOL! I'm not that old!

Fair enough
                      A sunny day
                      A shotgun and a Chevrolet
                      Wouldn't you like that?

Comment

LOL! I'm not that old!

Viper has a point but he may have watched too many reruns of Kevin Bacon in Footloose.
                        Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

IMG_8149.JPG

Comment

If the morons with power are going to continue to push the 21 y/o issue (which they will), it should get thrown back in their face by raising the minimum age to join the armed forced to 21.

As for bump stocks... Simple compromise:
                            Add them to the NFA registry by name (requiring a tax stamp) in exchange for passage of the hearing protection act

Comment

Originally posted by Mrprovy View Post
                              If the morons with power are going to continue to push the 21 y/o issue (which they will), it should get thrown back in their face by raising the minimum age to join the armed forced to 21.

As for bump stocks... Simple compromise:
                              Add them to the NFA registry by name (requiring a tax stamp) in exchange for passage of the hearing protection act
                              Voting to 21!

Comment

Working...
                              X