Trump Shifts on Gun Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

Viper has a point but he may have watched too many reruns of Kevin Bacon in Footloose.
    well when you want to dance
    let's make america great again

Comment

I say the ATF has a problem reclassifying the bump stock.... they have domain over NFA items.... they already ruled the Bump stock is NOT a machine gun ... so did they just make a NEW class of NFA items? or did the redefine what a machine gun is? A challenge to the decisions seems obvious.... but who is gonna fund it ....

Comment

Originally posted by crashguy View Post
        I say the ATF has a problem reclassifying the bump stock.... they have domain over NFA items.... they already ruled the Bump stock is NOT a machine gun ... so did they just make a NEW class of NFA items? or did the redefine what a machine gun is? A challenge to the decisions seems obvious.... but who is gonna fund it ....
        Good point
        Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

Rulings can be changed. They aren't in stone. Just saying...
          I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
          I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

2018 is gonna be a blue wave for sure. No reason to get out the vote for turncoats. No CCW recip., no 2nd Amendment Guarantee Act, and even worse proposing and agreeing with gun control measures. Maybe when the rest of the country has the same laws as NY people will wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by snowblind View Post
              2018 is gonna be a blue wave for sure. No reason to get out the vote for turncoats. No CCW recip., no 2nd Amendment Guarantee Act, and even worse proposing and agreeing with gun control measures. Maybe when the rest of the country has the same laws as NY people will wake up.
              That's not what a lot of polls are saying.

He could be saving a lot of it for his second term when he doesn't have to play politics for another re-election.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post
                Calm down.

Yea I don't like it either. But this is politics. It's reality.

For the 21, you gotta admit kids today are IDIOTS compared to how you and I were at that age. Not happy about raising the age to 21 but I can accept it. As long as that doesn't also ban the supervised use of a firearm like youth hunting or at a range.

For the bump stock, it's a gimmick. We all know that. My only concern is the wording that may also eventually apply to ANY after market triggers or gunsmith trigger work.

I assure you if Hillary were President then even without FL there would be broad bans and restrictions faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar beyond this.

And as said before, Trump always works an angle. He knows his base is very strong pro-2A. He can't afford to PO them.
                If kids today are idiots until they are 21, then they shouldn't be allowed to marry, vote, drive, join the military, or be held accountable for their actions.

...and while I hope you are right about the President, I don't think he cares who he pisses off.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

If kids today are idiots until they are 21, then they shouldn't be allowed to marry, vote, drive, join the military, or be held accountable for their actions.
                  No argument from me.

...and while I hope you are right about the President, I don't think he cares who he pisses off.
                  Me too.

Comment

It may not pertain to us as much in Long Island, but what about the people out west who marry at 18 and need to hunt to provide for their wife and kids? That's one dynamic I haven't seen brought up much, but it's a pretty big reason for owning a gun to them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Camel View Post
                      It may not pertain to us as much in Long Island, but what about the people out west who marry at 18 and need to hunt to provide for their wife and kids? That's one dynamic I haven't seen brought up much, but it's a pretty big reason for owning a gun to them.
                      You're not going to see it brought up bc it doesn't apply to the dreamers along the coasts.

Comment

I'm very cncerned about the rhetoic right now but I agree with FMJ

Just like I didn't believe Obama when he said " If you like your health plan you can keep your health plan" or more to this issue ""We're a nation that believes in the Second Amendment, and I believe in the Second Amendment"
                        I don't think he wants to ban shit beyond bump stocks. I want to wait until he actually does something because he does have a habit of making an outrageous statement then modifying it. So I want to see what he does.

Sadly, things have changed and not for the better. Bump stocks were a non issue during Obama's term. The Las Vegas psycho changed that.
                        Polls indicate a whopping 82% of Americans want bump stocks banned. That's an almost unheard of # on an issue.
                        IMO Bump stocks are a loophole. If automatic weapons are already banned and this makes a semi automatic weapon fire like an automatic weapon then it seems easy and even logical that they can ban them.

Trump says he supports raising the age. But he's dragging his feet. Sadly polls show almost 70% of Americans want the age raised.
                        The sheep are scared and herding. The only tactic a smart opponent can play in that issue right now is delay. He's also trying to pass it to the states and to congress. He's ducking a shitty issue. I listened to the press conference yesterday and Sanders kept stressing that it's up to congress and they are watching the law suits before deciding and making a committee.
                        Can you think of any better delaying tactics then say it's up to Congress, you want to put it to a committee and wait for law suits to run it's course?

So that's my Trumpsplaining. I want to see what he actually does.
                        Bumpstcks are a foregone conclusion. Anyone thinking that could be beat is delusional.

Obama would never have been able to get away with raising the age of a Constitutional right to some arbitrary number or banning bump stocks, and neither would Hillary. Congress would have fought them tooth and nail, even if it was just for political reasons (few of them are actually defenders of The People, the Constitution or civil liberties). But the RINOs now have cover from Trump and they are mostly ready to punk out. If Obama or Hillary were doing anything like this, you'd have gone ballistic. But with Trump, you're rationalizing. Why should the Dems take our guns now that they know that Trump and the RINOs will do it for them.

You're not really thinking this through. If 21 becomes the age of Constitutional rights and an ATF ban on bump stocks is allowed to stand unchallenged, it's over. They will push the envelope further because there will no longer be an envelope. They can ban any passive device or design feature, past, present or future without so much as a nod from Congress. 50 years from now, the Second Amendment will still be there but it might as well not be. Just look how much of your 2A right have disappeared in the past 50 years (i.e., since the GCA of 1968). And if you blame the Dems for it, they'll be able to remind you it was all done bi-partizan under a Republican administration. They love to say shit like that.
                        No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Regards,
                        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post

Obama would never have been able to get away with raising the age of a Constitutional right to some arbitrary number or banning bump stocks, and neither would Hillary. Congress would have fought them tooth and nail, even if it was just for political reasons (few of them are actually defenders of The People, the Constitution or civil liberties).
                          That's a joke, right?picard-facepalm.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post

Obama would never have been able to get away with raising the age of a Constitutional right to some arbitrary number or banning bump stocks, and neither would Hillary. Congress would have fought them tooth and nail, even if it was just for political reasons (few of them are actually defenders of The People, the Constitution or civil liberties). But the RINOs now have cover from Trump and they are mostly ready to punk out. If Obama or Hillary were doing anything like this, you'd have gone ballistic. But with Trump, you're rationalizing. Why should the Dems take our guns now that they know that Trump and the RINOs will do it for them.

You're not really thinking this through. If 21 becomes the age of Constitutional rights and an ATF ban on bump stocks is allowed to stand unchallenged, it's over. They will push the envelope further because there will no longer be an envelope. They can ban any passive device or design feature, past, present or future without so much as a nod from Congress. 50 years from now, the Second Amendment will still be there but it might as well not be. Just look how much of your 2A right have disappeared in the past 50 years (i.e., since the GCA of 1968). And if you blame the Dems for it, they'll be able to remind you it was all done bi-partizan under a Republican administration. They love to say shit like that.
                            You are really missing the mark here.
                            First of all do you really think Congress would have fought Obama in say the first 2 years, where they were just a rubberstamp for whatever he wanted?
                            Were you around for how Obamacare was passed?

Second. Things HAVE changed because of the Vegas psycho and the Florida POS. That's just a fact.
                            We have to deal with facts.
                            82% of people want bump stocks banned. 70% want the age to purchase a rifle raised.
                            2 years ago I'd bet 99% of people didn't even know what a bump stock was.

21 is NOT an arbitrary number in this bullshit that is being pushed.
                            It's the age for alcohol consumption, the federal age to be allowed to buy a handgun and in many states the age to buy tobacco. it's the age of no longer paying child support as well.
                            Don't ask me how they get away with this bullshit but the fact is they do.

You say I'm not thinking this through. Not at all. i think you mistake some of what I'm saying as support for raising the age. I'm addressing Trump's political maneuvering. No one here, especially me has declared that 21 is okay.
                            I think it's unconstitutional and total bullshit. But I also say the whole pistol license crap and the SAFE act etc is as well.

Back on topic.
                            I'm simply saying that I believe trump is maneuvering politically in this matter and I want to see what he actually does.
                            In essence I don't believe he's actually for it while Hillary or Obama I would believe would be 100% for it. So that's the difference.

I disagree with you regarding the sky falling because of bump stocks. We differ of opinion there. I don't see it as a slippery slope and I actually always was amazed that they weren't banned years ago.
                            crashguy had a very good point as to why they can't just ban them though.

BTW I see raising the age to 21 as a huge nail in the coffin for 2A.
                            It will prevent many young people from getting involved and further make more people not care about firearms.
                            Last edited by Aquabach; 03-13-2018, 10:02 AM.
                            Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

Anyone who thinks Trump and the republicans are playing an angle are delusional

Congressman Thomas Massie, the only consistent congressman to defend the constitution has been warning us all last week what the Republicans are doing. gun-owners and veterans are fucked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R_LuBwf76w
                              The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

BTW I see raising the age to 21 as a huge nail in the coffin for 2A.
                                It will prevent many young people from getting involved and further make more people not care about firearms.
                                Only if that also includes no youth hunting with a firearm and no supervised shooting at a range.

Comment

Working...
                                X