Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supreme Court leaves state assault weapons bans in place

Supreme Court leaves state assault weapons bans in place

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court has rejected challenges to assault weapons bans in Connecticut and New York, in the aftermath of the shooting attack on a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, that left 50 people dead.

The justices on Monday left in place a lower court ruling that upheld laws that were passed in response to another mass shooting involving a semi-automatic weapon, the elementary school attack in Newtown, Connecticut.

The Supreme Court has repeatedly turned away challenges to gun restrictions since two landmark decisions that spelled out the right to a handgun to defend one's own home.

In December, less than a month after a mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, Justices Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia dissented when the court refused to hear an appeal to overturn a Chicago suburb's ban on assault weapons. Scalia died in February.

Seven states and the District of Columbia have enacted laws banning assault weapons. The others are California, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts and New Jersey, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. In addition, Minnesota and Virginia regulate assault weapons, the center said.

Connecticut and New York enacted bans on assault weapons and large-capacity magazines in response to the December 2012 massacre of 20 children and six educators at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The gunman, Adam Lanza, shot and killed his mother before driving to the school where he gunned down the victims with a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle. Lanza then killed himself.

In Orlando, gunman Omar Mateen used a Sig Sauer MCX semi-automatic rifle and a pistol during the attack at Pulse nightclub. Mateen was killed in a shootout with police after killing 49 others.
    Pat ------> NRA Lifetime Endowment Member #FAAFO

Based on the 4-4 tie in the Supreme Court and current events, it's probably better off that they refused to make a determination and to keep the lower court rulings in place for now.

Comment

The fact that ideology exists in the decision making on the Supreme Court shows just how defunct it is. This country is already toast, the countdown clock to the next revolution has already begun. Dont know if it will be in my lifetime, but it will come. The local/state/federal governments have long been corrupted, as have lower courts populated by elected/politically appointed judges. And now SCOTUS wont even rule on cases that are in direct violation of their own previous rulings. It's just libs doing what libs do, take take take until they cross the line and lose it all.

Comment

• Aquabach
        Aquabach commented
        Editing a comment
        I really would like to point out how wrong you are with this post.
        I really wish I could.
        Sadly, I can't.

Don't worry! All of this will change after Hillary is elected. Scalia will be replaced by a leftist and Thomas is likely to retire soon too. That makes all the decisions 6:3 or worse. You didn't need that 2nd amendment anyway did you? Replacing Scalia and Thomas will clear the work of the Executive branch and SCOTUS to straighten out the problems with the rest of those "pesky" Bill of Rights!
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      “Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding.” -Justice Antonin Scalia, District of Columbia v. Heller, June 26, 2008

Comment

if hillary is elected we are toast.
        i think semi auto handguns will be the next to go.
        then revolvers????
        shotguns etc
        let's make america great again

Comment

Can't believe more people aren't commenting on this. I almost puked in my mouth listening to Skews 12 reporting on it, saying that the court "upheld" the safe act, making special mention that "normally the court shied away from second amendment cases"; they're making it sound like the court actually heard and ruled on the case. Such disgustingly deceptive journalism - the SCOTUS didn't uphold anything, they simply refused to hear it. Just like every other 2A case.

Comment

Just need to put a pillow over another justice's head before obama leaves office.

Anyone want to bet that another one of the conservative judges buys the farm under suspicious circumstances? How the hell is Ginsburg still walking the earth? She's an alcoholic and she's over 80. Never thought she'd outlive Scalia, then again, never though scalia would get the pillow treatment.

You guys also notice how the women justices are always liberal? What's up with that?
            “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X